Upsell criteria

jcann4444

I called the regular NCL customer service number on Sarturday and they told me that the upsell department is only open Mon-Fri 9-5. Where did you get your information? I guess we will find out in 90 minutes.

Lauri

The upsell department is definitely not closed!

Just talked to a very nice rep who upselled us into the Haven for our trip in two weeks on the Escape. There were just 6 Haven rooms left so they would go for the lower price point of $500pp. But $750pp works for me. $3400 for 2 in a Haven Penthouse when the price normally would have been $6300 outright is a bargain. It will be nice to be right in the Haven area as I am recovering from a very major surgery and this trip is all about pampering and rest! So excited!

Lauri

I called the upsell line this morning and got an H9 Haven spa suite with balcony for $1500 total over my guaranteed balcony. This is our 2nd NCL cruise and also our 2nd cruise on the Getaway. I haven't received upsell emails for either cruise. I'm so excited about trying Haven.

I called the upsell line this morning and got an H9 Haven spa suite with balcony for $1500 total over my guaranteed balcony. This is our 2nd NCL cruise and also our 2nd cruise on the Getaway. I haven't received upsell emails for either cruise. I'm so excited about trying Haven.

What date are you sailing on the Getaway?

On our Epic cruise we were booked in an Inside Cabin (basic), I think it was our 5th cruise and we were silver or gold members. I called my PCC after the final payment about 30ish days out. We were upgraded from the Inside to a Family Balcony at no extra charge, sounds great right? We found out why it was at no charge. I work on military ships for a living.... I've never had to start on the STBD side and walk INBD, FWD, INBD to OUTBD, AFT, OUTBD, and AFT again to get to a PORT side space. It was the funkiest PWAY I've ever encountered. I'm really surprised we made it back after the Margarita tasting and the Ice bar.

That cruise we did find out the only time we really used the balcony was one time when we got to the ship a little early and decided to watch the pier runners. It may have been different if we had friends/family with us or on either side of us but we typically spend little time in our room.

It seems most of the upsells are happening on the larger ships. We are sailing on the Spirit in 10 days and there are still 7 suites available and upsells have not started for our sailing.

Perhaps because it is in Europe now? I got an upsell on my March cruise on the Spirit 17 days out.

At about 6 weeks from our departure date we started calling Mon & Fri. They told us they were working on the cruise two weeks before ours. By about 4 weeks from departure we stepped it up to M, W & F and they were on the cruise directly before ours. At the end of the 4th week before we were able to upsell from a comp'ed inside stateroom to an DOS for $1000pp. This was about the price we would have paid for an OV on this particular cruise. Great deal but definitely don't wait for someone to contact you.

Perhaps because it is in Europe now? I got an upsell on my March cruise on the Spirit 17 days out.

I am not exactly sure what the reasoning is, we got an upsell to the owners suite about 3 weeks prior to our sailing on our European cruise aboard the Jade.

Congrats!!!! So excited for you.

It seems upsells come to those who book with NCL. Has anyone called after booking with their own TA and could do an upsell after final payment?

Yes - we booked with another TA and I called the phone number directly about 3 weeks before sailing date. Asked about options, moved from a balcony to a Forward Haven Suite for $750 per person, $1500.

You called NCL directly even though you booked with a TA? I called them yesterday and they told me since I booked with TA they would have to inquire about an upsell! The cabin I was wanting was gone by the time the TA's office opened this morning. I called the general number - does the "upsell" number really make a difference when booked with TA?

You called NCL directly even though you booked with a TA? I called them yesterday and they told me since I booked with TA they would have to inquire about an upsell! The cabin I was wanting was gone by the time the TA's office opened this morning. I called the general number - does the "upsell" number really make a difference when booked with TA?

The general number does not handle upsells. The Upsell Department is a separate department that is only open M-F 9-5 Eastern.

I called this past Friday, and earlier today (Monday), and was told both times that there were no upsell offers at this time. I know for a fact people on my sailing have done upsells, so I think it must be because I am in a studio. I plan to try again up until it would be too late for me to print out new e-docs.

I called this past Friday, and earlier today (Monday), and was told both times that there were no upsell offers at this time. I know for a fact people on my sailing have done upsells, so I think it must be because I am in a studio. I plan to try again up until it would be too late for me to print out new e-docs.

I just called the upsell department yesterday (Monday) and they told me they only upsell people to the Haven, that is their main priority! I know for a fact from these boards that people were upgraded to other categories. I have an inside GTY and was hoping to upsell to a balcony or mini suite. She told me that they randomly send out emails for those. I asked how they select who gets the email and she told me it is random, not everyone gets an email. I asked if there was anyway I could be put on a list for consideration and she said no, it was all a matter of luck who was chosen to get the offer. I asked if I could call back closer to my sailing, which is June 5th and she said it would do no good, that I should cross my fingers and wait for an email.

I feel like they were dishonest with me and I am not happy with the response I received from them. Should I try calling back? Has anyone ever had the same responses?

It's clear to me from reading the boards they are only upgrading to Haven more than a week or two out. Quit calling every day, you're being annoying and wasting their time. Wait until a week or two before and don't forget they don't owe you anything. If a balcony was so important you should have booked it to start out. This isn't some kind of magic system where you're all pulling one over on NCL.

Also, to the above poster...you're right they are lying to you. Keep calling twice a day demanding a discounted upgrade. You're sure to be successful.

Edited by txagfan

It's clear to me from reading the boards they are only upgrading to Haven more than a week or two out. Quit calling every day, you're being annoying and wasting their time. Wait until a week or two before and don't forget they don't owe you anything. If a balcony was so important you should have booked it to start out. This isn't some kind of magic system where you're all pulling one over on NCL.

^^^^ Amen. If you manage to get an upsell, consider yourself lucky. A VERY small percentage of passengers are able to get one. If you're not eligible for one, be happy with the room you booked. If you're not, you are welcome to call the booking department and pay the retail price to upgrade from your currently booked cabin to a cabin you would rather have at any time.