Breakaway behind the scenes tour?

Has anyone done the Behind the Scenes your on the Breakaway? Is it worth doing? Do they let you tour the bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tours of the Bridge are extremely rare since 911. There have been a few reviews here re the tour on the Breakaway check out Mitsugirly's Breakaway review I find her reviews wonderful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48035926&posted=1#post48035926

We did the paid tour on the Getaway and we were allowed on the bridge. Got a free photo in the galley with some large cooking tools.

We were on the Sky last September. Because the ship is in port every day, there are no tours. So we got the concierge to arrange a tour of the engine control room and bridge. The engine control room was done by the engineering chief. The hour-long tour of the bridge was done by the captain as we got underway from GSC.

Edited by BirdTravels

I did the tour on the Breakaway in 2015; great experience. I was surprised they allowed pictures since my past tours didn't. The Breakaway tour did include the bridge. As noted security is tight; I did a similar tour on the Anthem over the holidays this year & was hand-wanded at the start of the tour and again just before the bridge tour.

Tours of the Bridge are extremely rare since 911. There have been a few reviews here re the tour on the Breakaway check out Mitsugirly's Breakaway review I find her reviews wonderful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48035926&posted=1#post48035926

Rare? I've been on 3 behind the scenes tour, Gem, BA and Dawn. The tour always ended on the bridge and meeting the Captain

Rare? I've been on 3 behind the scenes tour, Gem, BA and Dawn. The tour always ended on the bridge and meeting the Captain

I booked the behind the scene tour expecting to get a tour of the bridge, very disappointed we did not go up there. $79.00 to see towels folded and walk thru a kitchen. No worth it in my book!

I concur. I've done 3 in the last few years as well. Pearl, Jewel, Star... went to the bridge each time.

I don't believe 9/11 is a factor here. Although the bridge is most definitely a secure area. Curiously, some of the air handling rooms and pool equipment rooms are also restricted/secure areas. One can imagine why...

How do you sign up for the tour. Is it publicized and booked through Guest Relations?

I looked for it in the precruise options but didn't see it. Am I missing something?

Roy

I concur. I've done 3 in the last few years as well. Pearl, Jewel, Star... went to the bridge each time.

I don't believe 9/11 is a factor here. Although the bridge is most definitely a secure area. Curiously, some of the air handling rooms and pool equipment rooms are also restricted/secure areas. One can imagine why...

How do you sign up for the tour. Is it publicized and booked through Guest Relations?

I looked for it in the precruise options but didn't see it. Am I missing something?

Roy

Yes, it is only bookable when onboard, so head to Guest Services right away.

Actually, because of 9/11, the US via the USCG pushed the ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) system through the IMO. ISPS is the reason for security onboard ships, particularly things like the fact that most crew are not allowed access to the bridge or engineering spaces.

It is still up to the Captain as to whether or not the tour is allowed on the bridge. I am real surprised that anyone outside the bridge team was allowed on the bridge during maneuvering (leaving GSC). ISM requires that crew even limit phone calls to the bridge during this time, and requires that the "best practices" of "bridge team management" keeps distractions on the bridge while in restricted waters (and granted that the anchoring at GSC is not real complicated, but is still considered to be maneuvering) to a minimum.

We booked the tour on BA after reading on the daily sheet that the bridge was included. When we assembled for the tour, the rep told us that the bridge is not included and that my butler... or as she called him..."The housekeeping boy" got it wrong and I shouldve asked someone else.

Full refund issued.

Actually, because of 9/11, the US via the USCG pushed the ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) system through the IMO. ISPS is the reason for security onboard ships, particularly things like the fact that most crew are not allowed access to the bridge or engineering spaces.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess want I wanted to say was that it wasn't necessarily 9/11 specifically preventing folks from visiting the bridge, but the captain's discretion instead.

Roy

Shore excursion booked onboard. Sea days. Use any of the touch screens to book

How much is this tour? Sounds fun!

On the Pearl it was $75. Included tour of the bridge. The nice thing was that we could take all the photos we wanted. Cost was $55 on Carnival Elation, where they confiscated your cameras and phones and wanded you. Not complaining. We got a group photo with the Captain and several great souvenirs.

• 8 months later...

The best tour we ever took was on Holland America Zuiderdam/2014 - from Bridge, to kitchen, to recycling, to quartermaster, to Engine Control room, then to the actual engine room and just above the bilge. It was great.

I am hoping for something more than the Bridge tour on NCL.