help please.....question about quart bag of liquids in airport

creel5857

"As noted, as many items as you want as long as it fits and they are not too big. TSA-Pre is wonderful and I've never had them ask me to remove the liquids bag for inspection in over 5 years. (I'm looking forward to my first cruise, but have flow over a million miles.) If you are not TSA-pre and want to get it, the simplest way is to sign up for a GOES card (do a search on Global Entry). It makes entry back into the USA easier too."

My husband and I have been TSA-pre check for the last 3 years, we have never applied for a "Goes card" or anything else. It just started showing up on our Alaska Airlines boarding passes. How does that happen? We have never been able to figure it out.

Edited by JudithLynne

My husband and I have been TSA-pre check for the last 3 years, we have never applied for a "Goes card" or anything else. It just started showing up on our Alaska Airlines boarding passes. How does that happen? We have never been able to figure it out.

Alaska nominated you into the Pre program. TSA allowed some airlines to sponsor flyers into the Pre program. This is to entice frequent travelers to buy into the program. TSA has been dialing back the sponsorship program so it becomes more hit/miss for the non enrolled.

Alaska nominated you into the Pre program. TSA allowed some airlines to sponsor flyers into the Pre program. This is to entice frequent travelers to buy into the program. TSA has been dialing back the sponsorship program so it becomes more hit/miss for the non enrolled.

Actually, I found the information on line, it is by flight. Here it is:

TSA's Secure Flight system now issues Pre✓™ to passengers after they have been vetted through Secure Flight regardless if they have a Trusted Traveler or Known Traveler account. Pre✓™ applies to that particular flight only and does not guarantee Pre✓™ for future flights.

Secure Flight

Secure Flight is a risk-based passenger prescreening program that enhances security by identifying low and high-risk passengers before they arrive at the airport by matching their names against trusted traveler lists and watchlists.

To protect privacy, the Secure Flight program collects the minimum amount of personal information, such as full name, date of birth, and gender, necessary to conduct effective matching. Read the Privacy Impact Assessment and the System of Records Notice for information about the program's rigorous privacy protections. Personal data is collected, used, distributed, stored and disposed of according to stringent guidelines.

Secure Flight transmits the screening instructions back to the airlines to identify low-risk passengers eligible for TSA Pre✓®; individuals on the Selectee List who are designated for enhanced screening; and those who will receive standard screening. Secure Flight also prevents individuals on the No Fly List and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Do Not Board List from boarding an aircraft. The Travel Redress Program provides resolution for travel-related screening or inspection issues.

Actually, I found the information on line, it is by flight. Here it is:

TSA's Secure Flight system now issues Pre✓™ to passengers after they have been vetted through Secure Flight regardless if they have a Trusted Traveler or Known Traveler account. Pre✓™ applies to that particular flight only and does not guarantee Pre✓™ for future flights.

Secure Flight

Secure Flight is a risk-based passenger prescreening program that enhances security by identifying low and high-risk passengers before they arrive at the airport by matching their names against trusted traveler lists and watchlists.

To protect privacy, the Secure Flight program collects the minimum amount of personal information, such as full name, date of birth, and gender, necessary to conduct effective matching. Read the Privacy Impact Assessment and the System of Records Notice for information about the program's rigorous privacy protections. Personal data is collected, used, distributed, stored and disposed of according to stringent guidelines.

Secure Flight transmits the screening instructions back to the airlines to identify low-risk passengers eligible for TSA Pre✓®; individuals on the Selectee List who are designated for enhanced screening; and those who will receive standard screening. Secure Flight also prevents individuals on the No Fly List and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Do Not Board List from boarding an aircraft. The Travel Redress Program provides resolution for travel-related screening or inspection issues.

That is the current program. Four/Five years ago it was Airline sponsorship.

Any experience with this situation....I have Global Entry, my husband nor children have no designation. If they are with me are they likely to get the precheck generated as above or are they on their own while I wait someplace not standing in line or taking my shoes off. I recently got the GE so have not flown with others using it yet.

Any experience with this situation....I have Global Entry, my husband nor children have no designation. If they are with me are they likely to get the precheck generated as above or are they on their own while I wait someplace not standing in line or taking my shoes off. I recently got the GE so have not flown with others using it yet.

If you are under the same booking number, you are more than likely to have Pre granted to others in the same booking. It is not guaranteed but does happen. The last times my family and MIL were on the same booking as I, with having Pre, everyone was granted Pre for their flights. But by themselves no. This was with VX, AA, and AC.

Edited by TheEmerson

I am aware how security sometimes allows other adult family members to move along with the pre-approved boarding tickets.....and it has happened in our group of friends as well. But, it kinda defeats the purpose and reason for getting everyone pre-approved. They can't really prove who is kin to who and the ones who are wanting to cause problems can always pretend to be kin to each other and slip on through without proper screening. But then I guess someone who is up to no good could also get pre-approved themselves and then do whatever they were going to do. Either way, just hope they continue to screen better to keep us all safe

We keep them in the back of the cabinet. Otherwise we wind up using them by accident. I know that both the flat bottom and normal bottom bags hold the same volume (1 quart) but I swear you can fit more in the flat bottom ones.

I think so too and I think the "fancy" zippered quart bags with the zipper that are sold for TSA compliance -- I don't get as much in them as the zip-lock. I use small pill containers for lotions and face creams. 2 small size pill bottles will generally hold a 3 week supply. Tubes of hair conditioner that come with dye kit 2 of those does about 10 shampoos and fit flat against sides. Mix and match the containers for just what you need -- some of the "go tubes" etc take up more room than the pill bottles. Hubby takes almost nothing so I make him carry a quart bag of my stuff too. I pay him a kiss. Now with TSA pre-check it is really easier -- now water bottles that have to be VERY empty -- I have been hassled on that. Just remember to really empty it well before the line -- can't drink it right there.:(

If you are under the same booking number, you are more than likely to have Pre granted to others in the same booking. It is not guaranteed but does happen. The last times my family and MIL were on the same booking as I, with having Pre, everyone was granted Pre for their flights. But by themselves no. This was with VX, AA, and AC.

This is unfortunately not true by my experience of over 20 some flights in the last 2 years. Seemed that one got Pre-check and the other did not on the same reservation and also on separate reservation numbers. Really annoying as one waves merrily "see you on the other side". Pre approval means the majority of the time you will get Pre-check but not always -- random checks can still rule even in the pre-check lines.

I'm not saying that it can't happen but in my experience if there is not a pre-check on your own boarding pass -- you don't get to go through that line -- unless they send you over there for smiling pretty:D (really I think they try to not make patterns -- that is part of the security of it!)

We keep them in the back of the cabinet. Otherwise we wind up using them by accident. I know that both the flat bottom and normal bottom bags hold the same volume (1 quart) but I swear you can fit more in the flat bottom ones.

I think so too and I think the "fancy" zippered quart bags with the zipper that are sold for TSA compliance -- I don't get as much in them as the zip-lock. I use small pill containers for lotions and face creams. 2 small size pill bottles will generally hold a 3 week supply. Tubes of hair conditioner that come with dye kit 2 of those does about 10 shampoos and fit flat against sides. Mix and match the containers for just what you need -- some of the "go tubes" etc take up more room than the pill bottles. Hubby takes almost nothing so I make him carry a quart bag of my stuff too. I pay him a kiss. Now with TSA pre-check it is really easier -- now water bottles that have to be VERY empty -- I have been hassled on that. Just remember to really empty it well before the line -- can't drink it right there.:( They took my refillable bottle with the nice handle and flip top and THREW IT AWAY for inch of water in the bottom.

I think so too and I think the "fancy" zippered quart bags with the zipper that are sold for TSA compliance -- I don't get as much in them as the zip-lock. I use small pill containers for lotions and face creams. 2 small size pill bottles will generally hold a 3 week supply.

So you put (runny) creams in Rex pill containers and they don't leak? Do you do something to keep them upright?

Can I assume this is only in carry on and not check in (where there will be pressure changes).

I have seen people over and over put full sized bottles of shampoo with not much left in it try to convince the TSA person it was less than 3oz left in the bottle.

The best one was a family that just bought full sealed water bottles for each person from a seller in the airport and then went into the checkpoint line. They had to toss them all out or risk losing their place in line. "But we just bought them over there.." [pointing at the shop.]

My best one seen was the lady in front of me during a Thanksgiving rush trying to talk her quart of homemade BarBQ sauce and a pumpkin pie through the line -- OH COME ON! Best misadventure on checked luggage -- hole torn in hubby's suitcase in Peru from a chicken wire cage for a rooster! 2nd day of a month long trip:eek:

So you put (runny) creams in Rex pill containers and they don't leak? Do you do something to keep them upright?

Can I assume this is only in carry on and not check in (where there will be pressure changes).

More cream than liquid like hair rinse, oil of olay face cream , some hair gels.

I have had excellent results with carrying a few ounces of dish liquid for hand laundry in a screw top RX bottle or vitamin bottle.

My best one seen was the lady in front of me during a Thanksgiving rush trying to talk her quart of homemade BarBQ sauce and a pumpkin pie through the line -- OH COME ON! Best misadventure on checked luggage -- hole torn in hubby's suitcase in Peru from a chicken wire cage for a rooster! 2nd day of a month long trip:eek:

The torn baggage I can see being annoying. The two annoying ones was a flight from SFO/DCA. When I went to pickup my baggage, my bag somewhere on the tarmac got JetA on it. Lucky my clothing did not get damaged, but took some effort to get the fuel smell off it. Another time while in Chicago years ago I went to Bobak's to get 20lbs of proper Kielbasa so I checked the bag......and my bag did not make it onto the plane. I had to wait until the morning to get my bag from the airport.