help please.....question about quart bag of liquids in airport

creel5857

Could anyone please help....I have read the details on TSA about each passenger having 1 qt bag with the 3 oz products but is there a limit to the number of small travel products as long as they all meet criteria and fit in the one quart bag. In other words, does it matter if I have 5 products or 10 products if they are all under 3.4 oz? Thanks

It's 3.4 ounce or 100 ml per bottle by the way. That's why you'll see so many 100 ml travel size containers. Like people have said though, it's as many as you can fit. Hint: You'll likely have the best luck with Ziploc 1 qt flat bottom bags. We keep a box of the 1 quart storage bags just for travel. You can find them at the local grocery store.

I have used the 1 quart zip lock bags for years -- stuff as much of the 100 ml bottles in them as you can.

The last 3 years or so we have been TSA pre-checked and I have not had to pull that bag out of my purse and put into the container beside by purse.

As noted, as many items as you want as long as it fits and they are not too big.

TSA-Pre is wonderful and I've never had them ask me to remove the liquids bag for inspection in over 5 years. (I'm looking forward to my first cruise, but have flow over a million miles.) If you are not TSA-pre and want to get it, the simplest way is to sign up for a GOES card (do a search on Global Entry). It makes entry back into the USA easier too.

If you travel a lot and get tired of zip lock bags that look beat-up after 2 trips, you can get a nice, durable bag from Amazon. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Flight-001-Carry-Clear-Quart/dp/B00H8T0YXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462496550&sr=8-1&keywords=tsa+bag+clear

The flat bottom bag is a great tip! I never buy those for the kitchen but will definitely get before my next flight.

We keep them in the back of the cabinet. Otherwise we wind up using them by accident. I know that both the flat bottom and normal bottom bags hold the same volume (1 quart) but I swear you can fit more in the flat bottom ones.

Good news Canadians! You get to use a 1 litre bag. That's more than 5.6% more room than our puny, 1 quart US bags. Doesn't quite make up for the exchange rate difference, but at least it's something.

Good news Canadians! You get to use a 1 litre bag. That's more than 5.6% more room than our puny, 1 quart US bags. Doesn't quite make up for the exchange rate difference, but at least it's something.

If you can get a 1 liter bag in the US, feel free to use that instead of the standard 1 quart. From the TSA:

You may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

The bold is mine.

I can't count the many "adventures" I've had with the TSA. What will be allowed and not allowed can change several times at the same checkpoint during an hour.

On my last trip (round trip Dallas Love Field / Tulsa) TSA was par for the course on what is allowed and what is not. Full size hairspray and shampoo allowed in DAL only to be thrown away in TUL.

I've decided to treat it like a game.

Full size hairspray and shampoo allowed in DAL only to be thrown away in TUL.
"Full size" (larger than 100 ml / 3.4 fl oz) is not allowed, full stop.

Occasionally, stuff like that doesn't get noticed or challenged. But that doesn't mean that it's allowed.

Unless it has changed, I understood it was max 10 bottles of 100ml each in a TSA approved bag. I usually pick one up at the airport before security and put my " lags " in it.

The TSA does not specify a number;

Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Unless it has changed, I understood it was max 10 bottles of 100ml each in a TSA approved bag. I usually pick one up at the airport before security and put my " lags " in it.

Well, a 1 Quart bag is 946ml it will be kinda hard to put 1000ml in volume into a 946ml bag. Rounding up, a max of 10 x 100ml bottles (ignoring the volume the container itself takes up) would be the max.

"Full size" (larger than 100 ml / 3.4 fl oz) is not allowed, full stop.

Occasionally, stuff like that doesn't get noticed or challenged. But that doesn't mean that it's allowed.

I have seen people over and over put full sized bottles of shampoo with not much left in it try to convince the TSA person it was less than 3oz left in the bottle.

The best one was a family that just bought full sealed water bottles for each person from a seller in the airport and then went into the checkpoint line. They had to toss them all out or risk losing their place in line. "But we just bought them over there.." [pointing at the shop.]

Edited by TheEmerson

Well, a 1 Quart bag is 946ml it will be kinda hard to put 1000ml in volume into a 946ml bag. Rounding up, a max of 10 x 100ml bottles (ignoring the volume the container itself takes up) would be the max.

Stop using math! ;)

If I use 50ml bottles, can I bring 20? :)

"Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.

Exemptions

Medications

Infant and child nourishments

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are travelling to the United States with a connecting flight.

The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.

The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.

Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage."

Edited by PatsyAnne

Does anyone have any experience carrying mini bottles of liquor in their baggies?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are actually no rules for security and airlines about bringing and consuming your own alcohol on board...the plane....as long as they pass the security size screening.

ah....after doing some Google research...it seems you cannot open your own bottle on a plane. lol

I always have trouble opening those little bottles anyway... have to ask the flight attendant for help. :)

Does anyone have any experience carrying mini bottles of liquor in their baggies?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are actually no rules for security and airlines about bringing and consuming your own alcohol on board...the plane....as long as they pass the security size screening.

Yes, you can bring them onboard. The restriction of consumption is a FAA rule, not a DHS/TSA rule. I keep a travel mini collection and do not have an issue.

I always have trouble opening those little bottles anyway... have to ask the flight attendant for help. :)

When you start having trouble opening the bottle, you've probably had enough! :)