Dress codes for Children

vanrhyn

I see that you were last on the Volendam more than three years ago, long before Formal nights changed to Gala. I doubt that same thing would happen today.

You are wrong! We just got back from a 79 Asia Cruise on the Volendam. Haven't had time to update my list. This was the third time we have cruised the Volendm.

And we were seated near the check-in desk and saw jackets being handed out quite frequently especially on the Solar Eclipse Cruise.

No I guess our church as never needed to lower its standards to attract parishioners. We do enjoy looking our best at service but then we also enjoy looking our best 24/7 for all occasions.

Nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't confuse the preference of your particular church with the requirements of church attire in general.

You are wrong!
I was misled by bad information.

Nevertheless, polos and Hawaiian shirts are within the allowable dress code for Gala nights, and no one should have been asked to put on a loaner jacket.

From KnowBeforeYouGo:

Gala Nights ... For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.

Edited by jtl513

We are taking two grands on a Europian cruise this summer. They are 11 and 12. When the parents asked about the dress suggestions I said that for gala nights it would be the same as going to a wedding and the rest would be how they would dress them for a family dinner in a somewhat nice restaurant. Right or wrong?

I was misled by bad information.

Nevertheless, polos and Hawaiian shirts are within the allowable dress code for Gala nights, and no one should have been asked to put on a loaner jacket.

From KnowBeforeYouGo:

Gala Nights ... For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.

That maybe true, but the Volendam made anyone with short sleeves wear a jacket. Probably because a nice Hawaiian Shirt is more Smart Casual. Not sure what they will do on the Alaskan Cruise which is more casual. But our 79 day cruise they handed out quite a few jackets on Gala Nights. The worse Gala wear That we saw was two men wearing t-shirts that they wore for Walk the Deck for the Cure. I wouldn't have wanted to sit at their table as they had worn the same shirts for several days. The desk just gave them jackets to wear. Don't know whether they continued to wear the jackets.

Not sure what they will do on the Alaskan Cruise which is more casual.
Policy should not change with itinerary. Short sleeved and/or print shirts should be allowed in the MDR everywhere, every night.

Nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't confuse the preference of your particular church with the requirements of church attire in general.
In 76 years, I think the only times I ever wore a suit to church was for weddings or funerals! :D

Edited by jtl513

We are taking two grands on a Europian cruise this summer. They are 11 and 12. When the parents asked about the dress suggestions I said that for gala nights it would be the same as going to a wedding and the rest would be how they would dress them for a family dinner in a somewhat nice restaurant. Right or wrong?

You are both right and wrong. As you may have deduced what one person believes is proper dress for church or a wedding is certainly not what someone else feels is acceptable. So it all depends on what type of weddings you attend and where and how you like to dress when you go out with the kids. Under those rules anything from coveralls and t's to formal tuxedos would cover.

Enjoy!

[quote name=j

In 76 years, I think the only times I ever wore a suit to church was for weddings or funerals! :D

Just wondering why a wedding or funeral would be any more special than a regular service if in 76 years you have never worn a suit. There are millions of people who don't wear suits these days. However 76 years ago even the coal miners wore suits to church, golfers wore jackets and ties to play golf and most everyone who ventured to a city of any size wore suits and the women wore dresses.

Interesting comment.

... coal miners wore suits to church, golfers wore jackets and ties to play golf and most everyone who ventured to a city of any size wore suits and the women wore dresses.
And at ship sailings men wore suits and ties, ladies wore fancy dresses, gloves, and heels, and everyone wore hats!

At my daughter's wedding about 5 years ago only about 1/3 of the men wore jackets.

Times change.

Edited by jtl513

What is the dress code for children aged 8 and 11? What do they need to wear on Formal nights, that is do they have to have jackets or is a dress shirt fine? How about for the casual nights?

Whatever you do...please,please make sure they get the complimentary shoe shine!

just have a good time, go with your gut and it will be fine. obviously people have strong opinions on what they think is proper, but we all come from different walks of life. do what feels right for your and your family.

I find it really disappointing that some poster would give the OP misinformation or information slanted to their own personal views rather that what really happens on a ship, a HAL ship when it comes to attire for children on Gala/formal nights.

Anyone who has been on a HAL ship or any other mass market cruise ship knows that on formal nights children of the age she mentioned will be fine as long as they are neat and clean. Has anyone ever seen a child refused entry or given a jacket to cover their short sleeves?

I can remember our first cruise with very young children. We got some of the same very self centred advice from people who were more interested in making sure that we conformed to their idea of proper dress rather than responding in an accurate manner to our questions. Then we had the usual group who took it upon themselves to offer unsolicited advice in child rearing as it pertained to attire. Or the other overused, unrequested advice about buying clothes on line or from a resale store.

Why not give the OP the straight goods about how it really is? Why the rest of the nonsense?

Edited by iancal

We will be taking a similar approach to you, I think. We are taking our 12 and 11 year olds on an 11 day Med cruise this summer (but leaving the younger two at home). We have cruised with the kids before and enjoy our 5* resorts once or twice a year. Our rule on those trips has always been "collared shirt with buttons" (meaning a dress shirt) for all dinners, smart casual or dressier, but with the addition of a tie for formal nights/gourmet restaurants and a jacket if temps allow (I'd never make the boys wear a jacket if it would make them feel too warm since that's when we'd get wiggling boys in the dining room!)

At the end of the day, though, it really will be what you and the kids are comfortable with them wearing! Regardless, have a great trip!

I find it really disappointing that some poster would give the OP misinformation or information slanted to their own personal views rather that what really happens on a ship, a HAL ship when it comes to attire for children on Gala/formal nights.

Anyone who has been on a HAL ship or any other mass market cruise ship knows that on formal nights children of the age she mentioned will be fine as long as they are neat and clean. Has anyone ever seen a child refused entry or given a jacket to cover their short sleeves?

I can remember our first cruise with very young children. We got some of the same very self centred advice from people who were more interested in making sure that we conformed to their idea of proper dress rather than responding in an accurate manner to our questions. Then we had the usual group who took it upon themselves to offer unsolicited advice in child rearing as it pertained to attire. Or the other overused, unrequested advice about buying clothes on line or from a resale store.

Why not give the OP the straight goods about how it really is? Why the rest of the nonsense?

In 2012, when it was an actual formal night not the new gala night, I was asked to take my 11 year old back to the room and get him in his jacket if we brought one. If not, one could be provided. So in answer to your question, yes my child was refused entry if we didn't conform. That being said, the rules have definitely changed.

To the OP, I'd go with the published new rules and let the kids wear nice collared shirts and slacks. You can pick them up fairly inexpensively at Walmart. That way you're not spending a fortune on something they may never wear again [emoji4]

I think young kids look silly in gowns or tuxes....nice clothes, like they'd wear to a party is fine.

Many people think well-dressed children are adorable. An added bonus is that elegant dress affects their behaviour in a positive way. (One could say the same applies to adults, but I mustn't digress:).)

Our son's first ocean voyage was an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Elizabeth 2 when he was three. He wore a dark grey suit with black bow tie and countless people dropped by our table to compliment him. Other elegantly-dressed young boys and girls attracted favourable compliments.

On a recent crossing there was a a young girl of about seven who wore a frilly long dress and tiara on the formal nights. Of the many comments I overheard not one person thought she looked silly.

Church attire requires suit and tie. Is that what is meant by smart casual if so I am in. otherwise I fine it to be similar to what I wear when working in the yard and not conducive to an elegant cruise.

I think it depends on where you go to church. Last time I checked God did not have a dress code for those attending His houses of worship. Smart casual these days is slacks/khakis and a collared shirt/ golf shirt or maybe a collared shirt with a blazer and slacks. Try being a little accepting of others...its a fine virtue. Didn't you learn that at your church?

Edited by Rala

Our son's first ocean voyage was an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Elizabeth 2 when he was three. He wore a dark grey suit with black bow tie and countless people dropped by our table to compliment him. Other elegantly-dressed young boys and girls attracted favourable compliments.

Class never goes out of style. It takes effort and that is why it is appreciated.

Many people think well-dressed children are adorable. An added bonus is that elegant dress affects their behaviour in a positive way. (One could say the same applies to adults, but I mustn't digress:).)

On a recent crossing there was a a young girl of about seven who wore a frilly long dress and tiara on the formal nights. Of the many comments I overheard not one person thought she looked silly.

How cute your son must have been. I love seeing children dressed up even though it's not required.

I think it depends on where you go to church. Last time I checked God did not have a dress code for those attending His houses of worship. Smart casual these days is slacks/khakis and a collared shirt/ golf shirt or maybe a collared shirt with a blazer and slacks. Try being a little accepting of others...its a fine virtue. Didn't you learn that at your church?

In our church we believe that wearing our very best honors God. Jesus must have also believed that as he wore seamless garments which in his time were rare and expensive.

As to accepting others. I do that, I just choose not to socialize with those who either know not the difference or choose not to try to be their best Money has nothing to do with it, effort and creativity to be your best allows many to exceed their pocket book with ease

Besides I always find it interesting that those who look to a higher standard are those told to be accepting. Let's start a new trend and ask those who can but don't try for the higher standard to be the ones told they need the work.

We often cruise with our sons on HAL and on formal nights, they wear a tux, on other nights often a shirt and a blue Jacket. The better they are dressed, the less people complain or give kids a critical look and this it totally independend from their behavior. (my observation) It happend from time to time that other passengers on the tables next to us complaint about kids beeing seated near them. In that moment, none of our kids did even say a word. They just went quiet to their seats, so no reason to complain about them at that oment. If they wear their tux, we never ever hear anyone complaining :p

But back to your question: Kids can more or less wear anything- I have often seen kids in shorts and T-shirt in the MDR. Just handle it the way it feels right to you and them. Nothing more stressful than an 11 year old, who feels uncomfortable, I´d say.

Our kids have always dressed as we have. My son either a dark suit or tux and my daughter has fancy dresses. I'm one of those weird ones that likes to dress up on a cruise and it drive's me nuts that people don't dress up.

What really bothers me the most is that, especially on smart casual nights, the dress code is not enforced. Why bother having one, if you are not going to enforce it?

What really bothers me the most is that, especially on smart casual nights, the dress code is not enforced. Why bother having one, if you are not going to enforce it?

Because there are no "Fashion police" on a HAL ship. They expect people will act as adults and follow the guidelines. Those that don't probably won't be back, especially as there's no "hairiest legs" contest :)

In our church we believe that wearing our very best honors God. Jesus must have also believed that as he wore seamless garments which in his time were rare and expensive.

As to accepting others. I do that, I just choose not to socialize with those who either know not the difference or choose not to try to be their best Money has nothing to do with it, effort and creativity to be your best allows many to exceed their pocket book with ease

Besides I always find it interesting that those who look to a higher standard are those told to be accepting. Let's start a new trend and ask those who can but don't try for the higher standard to be the ones told they need the work.

Fine..not going to argue with you. You are happy where you are and I (and others here) are happy where they are and I am quite sure that God loves all of His children equally, and knows that they love HIM, no matter what they are wearing. BTW, DH and I always dress nicely for church,but don't agree that "looking our best" requires a suit and tie. Happy Cruising to you! :)