Alaska season underway

How does the PVSA work against you when the cruise went from Hawaii to Vancouver?

Wouldn't the cruise be stopping at a US port after Vancouver? I must admit I don't understand the reasoning?

I am no legal eagle. However, once it was pointed out to Celebrity and to our TA (whom I believe should have also known), everything was immediately refunded related to the Alaska cruise - the down payment, the add-on travel insurance, etc.

I am no legal eagle. However, once it was pointed out to Celebrity and to our TA (whom I believe should have also known), everything was immediately refunded related to the Alaska cruise - the down payment, the add-on travel insurance, etc.

There is a thread on the Celebrity forum about this at present.

Apparently there are a number of passengers who have arranged to disembark at Victoria Canada.

They are doing the Hawaii - Vancouver - Alaska - Seattle, B2B.

They just get off one night early before Seattle.

All arranged with Celebrity beforehand.

The PVSA (antiquated, stupid law IMO) states that if you embark in one US port and disembark in a different US port you must visit what's deemed a "foreign distant port". This is different from the Jones Act (another one I wish they'd get rid of) that states a closed loop cruise which begins and ends in the same US port only needs to visit any foreign port. This is why the Alaska cruises from Seattle always make a stop in Canada. No ports in Canada are deemed foreign distant ports, in fact the closest FDP to the US are the Netherlands Antilles islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao in the far southern Caribbean, just off the coast of South America. Hence, the B2B pax that were forced to disembark in Victoria. Even though they were on two separate cruises it is still considered one journey. Had they begun in Sydney and continued on to Alaska it would have been perfectly legal. Hope this all makes sense.

Lol I don't mind the rain, it relaxes me. I've still got 3mths to go, but I'm reading everything I can find. CC is an endless source of information, even the stupid little questions you think to yourself.... pop up, and you realize maybe those questions aren't so stupid if other people are thinking them too. At any rate, I'm so excited and can't wait for August to finally arrive. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Difficult to believe it was a year ago we did our Alaska trip. So glad we did it. Amongst other highlights the kids still talk about the Prince William Sound cruise from Whittier where we saw Surprise Glacier calving in spectacular fashion!