How bad is the sofa as a bed?

stefs111

My husband and I just booked a pack and play, and the only room left for a 7 nite cruise out of Port Canaveral was a port hole room with one twin bed and a sofa. No outsides left, and can't afford the balcony. This was a last minute booking for June. My husband has a bad back, so he will sleep in the bed, and I am stuck on the sofa. It is really hard? If so, what can I do to make it more comfortable? There are no 7 nites left from now until Jan 2017 with the offer I have.

Thank you for any advice.

Stef

I sleep on the sofa bed sometimes when we cruise and it's really kind of comfortable.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a room with a bed that pulls from the ceiling. I slept on one of those once (son was supposed to sleep up there but has never slept in a bunk bed before and was freaked out by the idea, so I decided to sleep up there and take one for the team) and I will NEVER do that again. Every morning I woke up so sore in pretty much every joint in my body.

When we took our 18 year old daughter cruising with us, she was reluctant to even lay on our bed. She thought ours looked so comfy, she said she didn't want to ruin how she felt about her couch bed.

Day 3, she finally laid down on our bed and quickly exclaimed that ours had nothing on hers! She said the couch was soooo much more comfy.

The sofa bed is perfectly comfy. We've had it several times on The Liberty and The Splendor. On The Splendor, we've traveled 9 weeks in the same room with that bed. It's made up as a regular bed, just a little closer to the floor. We'll be in the same type of room on our upcoming Breeze trip next year. It's fine. Enjoy your cruise.

We always get a sofa bed, very comfortable. With three over 50 in the room we are done with the pull down bunk.

Your post addressed what I was wondering about, AGE, of the poster. That really makes a difference. My husband and I are both over 60. We always get a balcony and have the bed made up, king. I, sometimes, as I stay up later and read, sleep on the couch, if it is raining (so don't want to read on the balcony). They seem to be the same on any Carnival cruise we have been on. BUT, I am short and skinny. Husband is tall and heavy. He has mentioned that he could not sleep on it. I find it comfortable, myself. So, I think age and weight might be a factor. When I was young, I could sleep on the floor!, But not so much now.....Just saying...:)

We always cruise in balcony rooms with a sleeper sofa. I have always slept on it, and found it more than adequate. I am 48, 6'2", and around 230#. Never had a problem sleeping. In 8 cruises on Carnival, I have slept on the sofa bed, loved it. :D:D

I have read on other post that if you are not happy with the sofa just ask the room steward to put a top bed spread from a reg. bed and put it under your top sheet. Very comfy. HAPPY SAILING!!!

I slept on the sofa for the 1st time in March, on the Dream. Found it a bit hard the 1st night so asked our Steward if there was a pad available. He said no, but he could put a folded comforter underneath the sheet. That did make it better- next time if I 'get' the sofa I may ask for 2 comforters instead. I think that would be just perfect. Just ask when the Steward introduces himself the 1st day. FYI- The sofa stays made-up as a bed all the time.

Your post addressed what I was wondering about, AGE, of the poster. That really makes a difference. My husband and I are both over 60. We always get a balcony and have the bed made up, king. I, sometimes, as I stay up later and read, sleep on the couch, if it is raining (so don't want to read on the balcony). They seem to be the same on any Carnival cruise we have been on. BUT, I am short and skinny. Husband is tall and heavy. He has mentioned that he could not sleep on it. I find it comfortable, myself. So, I think age and weight might be a factor. When I was young, I could sleep on the floor!, But not so much now.....Just saying...:)

Funny- we do the exact same thing:-). But I am not skinny- I am short and, frankly, fat- or juicy as my favorite cruise employee on my last cruise said:-). I have never had a problem or complaint sleeping on the "couch" but I also have never slept on it for more than a few days in a row.

Funny- we do the exact same thing:-). But I am not skinny- I am short and, frankly, fat- or juicy as my favorite cruise employee on my last cruise said:-). I have never had a problem or complaint sleeping on the "couch" but I also have never slept on it for more than a few days in a row.

Juicy! That's really funny! You must have a good sense of humor. I have a friend from my whole life, that as kids, and teenagers we both were very skinny. She "blossomed" as we got older. her daughter used to get mad at me, if I referred to the days before #### got "ripe". That's how we still talk as we live far away from each other now. If it has been a while since I have spoken with her, I'll say, hey, are you still "ripe'? and she says, are you still a chicken bone with no meat?

But, back to the subject, you are right. I have never tried the couch for more than a day or 2 in a row. Might be a big difference.

The sofa bed typically stays made up as a bed the whole time but you can assemble it back to a couch if you choose. I can see doing this if you have other guests in your room when not sleeping. Otherwise, the guests would be sitting on someones sleeping space. It seems to be simple to put the cushions back on and push the bed back into the wall when it is not in use.

First experience and only experience was last week on the Victory and agree with Je Souhaite, the mattress was hard as a rock and like trying to sleep on a sheet of plywood. Definitely uncomfortable but our friend who slept on it said she prefers a hard mattress....this one was extremely hard to get use too, even with the egg crate. The mattresses on the twins were also hard but no where like the sofa one. Very old style room with no apparent changes to it....no mini fridge, old tube type tv which you could hardly see anything on it because the screen was so dark, curtain partially off the curtain rod due to broken or missing clips to hang it properly on the ov window. Lot of rust and built up dirt/dust in several spots in the cabin too. On this particular ship, Carnival definitely needs to refurbish the rooms and are doing some on what they refer to as an "on going beautification project" as you travel. Time to put in dry dock and do the whole thing at one time versus the inconvenience of those on board at the time of the "on going beautification project".

Thank you so much for all your responses. I am thrilled to hear the majority of you say it is comfortable. I am a few months away from being 60yrs old, and I have a broken tail bone, ouch!! So I am concerned, my husband has a bad back and will be on the bed. I will ask for 2 pads or comforters to be put under my bottom sheet for sure! We sail in June.

Happy sailing to everyone!

Stef

They're not bad. I have slept on a sofabed 4 times, and they have been pretty close to what the regular beds in the room were. On Conquest in 2009, the sofabed was so soft & comfortable, almost as good as the regular beds (but not better). One time, the sofabed was hard as a rock, but so were the regular beds. That was on Miracle. Carnival used to have nothing but soft, comfy beds (and that includes the sofabeds), but around 2010-2011, they started switching over to solid rock beds. Then, they started putting in ones that were somewhere inbetween the solid rocks & the soft, comfy beds. So your ship could have a mix of all 3. Even the same room could have 1 of each.

On my last sofabed (Dream-2014), it was somewhere inbetween, as were the regular beds. I slept on top of the comforter, which provided extra cushion, and we turned the AC down.

For those that might still not know, the sofabed is not a pullout. There is no putting the bed into the wall or anything like that. The back cushions get removed from the sofa, and the seat of the sofa is the bed. Sheets are put over the seat. You can request it to be turned back into the sofa by day, then back to a bed at night. But more often than not, stewards will leave it as a bed the whole time unless you request otherwise. That has been the case on every one of my cruises.