Horizon Court/Bistro on Regal

Luv my furbaby

What is the difference? Are they both buffets?

They are both buffets with different decor. Some items, like the carving stations, are only in the Ct. area, and other items, like a taco bar, are only in the bistro area. Then there are selections found in both areas. The area is very large so you have to look around to scope it out. There is also a Pastry Shop buffet line in the same area.

The buffet is so large and diverse on this ship recommend you look around before deciding on something. Yes, both of these are buffets. We loved the salad bar area As there are so many choices. Also loved the dinner buffet on the nights where we just didn't feel like dressing up or for evenings where we wanted a quicker paced meal in order to get to a show. Unfortunately at times the pace of service in the MDR can be slow, especially if people at your table are ordering a lot of courses. And you never have to wait to get a table in the buffet!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thanks for asking this, OP. We are booked on the Regal for the first time next summer, and this was one of the things I wondered about. I assume it's a little like Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe on some of the other ships but much larger with more choices? Seriously, the thing I'm looking forward to most of all is that buffet!

The bistro/HC on the Regal is VERY different than the Caribe Cafe-HC setup on the Other ships. the caribe cafe was in the back , with the HC along either side port-starboard. As I recall, the Caribe Cafe felt very cramped and bad flow

On the Regal, once you walk into the entire buffet area, you will first walk through the bistro area (which we still consider to be the Hc) and it is a different color scheme, pale ivory light green chairs, and that area alone is huge. Only the seating areas are along the sides and the food areas

Run perpendicular to the seating areas throughout the entirety of the combined BISTRO/HC, so there are so many perpendicular food areas I couldn't even begin to count. So about a third of the buffet area is dedicated to BISTRO seating, but I think only two actual sections were dessert/coffee

With the one section of bistro becoming light food choices in the daytime only

The other two-thirds of the buffet area, which is decorated in a different color scheme from the bistro, the line of demarcation if you will from the Bistro, is strictly HC non-dessert food offerings, and in the middle of that section sits a gigantic salad bar area

Way different than on the Emerald/Crown, ET cet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

So the buffet is in the center of the ship and not two separate sides like on some of the other ships? That sounds like it would work better. Is there a problem when transitioning from breakfast to lunch, etc.?

So the buffet is in the center of the ship and not two separate sides like on some of the other ships? That sounds like it would work better. Is there a problem when transitioning from breakfast to lunch, etc.?

I didn't find it a problem and I have been on the Regal for 4 cruises and anticipating cruises on it in the future. When breakfast time starts slowing down, they close down one side. Then they remove the food and prep the area for lunch. Same thing between lunch and dinner.

Don't forget to visit the International cafe in the piazza. ( Open 24 hours a day ) It looks like it would cost extra but it doesn't with a few exceptions. Gelato , coffees and teas are extra there. No charge for Alfredos in the piazza.

Sali

Edited by Orangefan

Yes, you could say that. All I know is it flows nicely no matter the time. We NEVER once have had an issue finding a place to sit, even at peak times, so the layout of the buffet is something like this :

Entry on both sides, starboard and port : washing Stations with sinks to wash hands at entrance, nice wide walkway with abundant seating to one side, and if you look to the other side there will the various aisles which are enclosed with

1) desserts and gourmet coffee like international cafe coffees

2) walk a little further and another aisle with desserts OR light breakfast/lunch (in its own hallway, so you can't see through to aisle one)

3: walk a little further and aisle three, which has all the main foods and is wide open and looks over to what I will call aisle four, which flanks the salad bar area which spans from port to starboard with yet another cross-section in the middle of THAT section with specialty salad things, depending on the day. For example, on italian night they had an entire round of Parmesan hollowed out and filled with chunks of Parmesan, and in any given day there will be tons of specialty cheeses in this part of the salad bar, pecorino with pepper, ET cet,

Prosciutto in abundance, all the bread rolls, breadsticks, breads, basically,

4: on other side of salad bar were things like Mongolian barbecue,

Asian dishes, Indian dishes,

And then if you continue walking through the buffet the aisles repeated with some of the same foods, so there were repeated food stations which is why it never seemed crowded.

On italian night they served no less than 8 different pasta dishes, as an example,

And of course there was plenty of carving stations and tons of shrimp

Cooked and at the salad bar

Fresh vegetables, cooked, in abundance

Everything seemed pretty fresh

Edited by 4cats4me

The extent of the Horizon Court on the Regal and Royal is from the aft elevator to midship elevator. So there is just 1 pool now (fountain pool) on lido deck.

Try outdoor seating on the Horizon Terrace aft or the tables closest to the buffet in the Lido Pool area. These both have waiters all day. The Horizon Terrace is large, has a bar plus its own self or waiter served coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Great location for breakfast.

Try outdoor seating on the Horizon Terrace aft or the tables closest to the buffet in the Lido Pool area. These both have waiters all day. The Horizon Terrace is large, has a bar plus its own self or waiter served coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Great location for breakfast.

I saw some pictures. It looks wonderful. One thing I love on the Pacific Princess is the aft dining deck, so I will be all over this thing on the Regal. Really, I may be spending the entire three-week cruise in the buffet at this rate. ;)

Another thing I wondered, is there that self-serve beverage station (coffee, tea, etc.) as on the other ships?

I LOVE the Bistro at lunch. There is a make-your-own chef's salad bar (I love salads), a sandwich station where they make sandwiches, and a wok grill station with fresh grilled items, usually a selection of three. There is usually gryo, a chicken or beef kabob and a mix of grilled veggies. On the Royal, I had lunch there every day. Plus, there are other items in the Bistro but I never took any.

I saw some pictures. It looks wonderful. One thing I love on the Pacific Princess is the aft dining deck, so I will be all over this thing on the Regal. Really, I may be spending the entire three-week cruise in the buffet at this rate. ;)

Another thing I wondered, is there that self-serve beverage station (coffee, tea, etc.) as on the other ships?

On the Royal:

There is self serve orange juice etc. the coffee is made and served behind the counter. Also waiters will bring you drinks including alcohol or coffee (they asked us not the other way around!)

There is a bar right out the door for drinks before you go in for quicker service.

We ended up doing a tour of both areas every time we were there because they had different things every meal everyday. It is a great place to be especially by a window on a cold day. Food with a beautiful view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the "made to order" omelet station for breakfast located on the Regal? That is one of my favorite things while cruising.

It is in the Horizon Ct. area, last buffet line aft. There should be two stations open in the morning. When they take your order they will give you a slip with a number. Feel feel, if you want, to fill your plate with bacon, sausage, home fries, toast, or whatever and go to your table. Provide the omelet slip to your waiter. and they will retrieve your omelet.

It is in the Horizon Ct. area, last buffet line aft. There should be two stations open in the morning. When they take your order they will give you a slip with a number. Feel feel, if you want, to fill your plate with bacon, sausage, home fries, toast, or whatever and go to your table. Provide the omelet slip to your waiter. and they will retrieve your omelet.

That's good to know. The omelet ordering isn't ideal on the Grand class ships, IMO.