Embarkation from Hell in Vancouver BC

Well they wouldn't clear pax at each Alaskan port it would be at the first Alaskan port of call. With different itinineraries having different first ports of call in Alaska it would mean the CBP would have extra staff at each Alaskan port.....so it is obviously much more economical to do pre clearance at Canada Place and frankly this the same reason the CBP does preclearnces at various key airports in Canada as well as abroad and looking to add more airports to the list. Way back in the 60’s when I crewed to Alaska US Customs and Immigaration used to come out to the ship as we entered Alaskan waters and the Canadian officials did the same on the return. Each passenger and crew member had to parade infront of the customs officers with some form ID, passports weren't required in those days however we as crew had to show them our international sea men's card that did have our photo and thumb print on it.

Thanks. Sorry I wasn't more clear. You phrased it the way I meant it... that if CBP didn't pre-clear, then they'd need staffing in each port, for any ships where that was a first stop in the USA, and that could vary as itineraries varied for each cruise line/ship... not that each ship would need to be cleared at each port (assuming no passengers were getting on/off at intermediate stops, etc.)

Gets better the later in the season. My first cruise experience in Vancouver was 2011 when 5 ships were in. 3 at Canada Place and 2 at Ballantyne Pier. My NCL Pearl and a princess were at the latter. From bag drop to on board ship was just under an hour. This was in Sept. My only spring experience was a 4 day May 2 and we were only ship in port. Easy and eating lunch by 1205 pm my pacific coastals have all left in fall with no issues

Edited by Lulubelle45

Well they couldn't do that as it would be a violation of the PVSA.

Not if the cruise begins in Vancouver, which isn't a USA port.

My understanding is that the PVSA relates to carriage of passengers embarking/disembarking at two different USA ports on a non-USA flagged ship, without the required call at a distant foreign port, etc.

(That doesn't mean a ship would agree to do this, of course, even if allowed. There was a long thread elsewhere about a request in SE Asia, where at first the PVSA was invoked... and then not.)

Chengkp75 often helps out on this topic, but I don't know if he checks in on this subforum.

If I am incorrect... apologies.

Not if the cruise begins in Vancouver, which isn't a USA port.

My understanding is that the PVSA relates to carriage of passengers embarking/disembarking at two different USA ports on a non-USA flagged ship, without the required call at a distant foreign port, etc.

(QUOTE]

That would be correct, but I read your previous post to suggest that people would be getting on and off the ship at intermediate ports in Alaska...which is a no no. Well it can be done but there is a fine of $300 pp.:eek:

Sailing out of Vancouver on a 1-ship day. Does staffing drop on these days, or should lines be much better? I'd like to see some more of Vancouver that morning if possible.

In the normal course of events CPB will turn out enough officers to clear embarking passengers. You should not incur the problems experienced earlier this month. If you arrive to begin the embarkation process between 1 and 2 pm you should not have a problem with lines and be able to do some exploring of Vancouver.

I was embarking out of Vancouver on May 5, a two ship day. Lines were long, though thankfully not as long as what the OP describes. The whole thing seemed like a disorganized mess. People from the two ships were getting mixed into each others' lines.

We arrived at about 10:45 am and finally stepped onto the ship at about 1:45 pm. When we first arrived at the port we went through security fairly quickly and that seemed to be no issue. We were then confusingly ushered into a large room with many chairs packed tightly together. We waited there for about 30 minutes. Rows were taken out one-by-one towards a customs area, where we waited for only about 5 minutes before getting through. Then we were on to the real wait...we stood in a long twisty line awaiting check in for almost two hours. All stations were open and people were checked in fairly quickly, there was just such a large backup.

Our lifeboat drill scheduled for 3:30 pm didn't happen until 4:45 pm I believe, and we sailed away after 5 pm, with the captain citing "embarkation check in delays."

What's the easiest way to find out if you'll be embarking on a three-ship day? Do a search on a travel agent website? Or is there a directory somewhere?

If you google port schedules, it's one of the first hits that comes up. As luck would have it, the Port of Vancouver has it on their website.

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Cruise-Schedule-2016-April-27-F.pdf

Embarked May 20, 3 hours of waiting and mindless walking. Last time for us out of Vancouver.

The port of Victoria is proposing an upgrading the facilities here to switch from being a port-of-call to a home-port. However that is a few years out. I wonder if that would reduce problems in Vancouver or not.

If you google port schedules, it's one of the first hits that comes up. As luck would have it, the Port of Vancouver has it on their website.

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Cruise-Schedule-2016-April-27-F.pdf

Thanks! You rock!!

Also happy to report that we embark on a one-ship day. Whew!

Edited by love2driveinct

The port of Victoria is proposing an upgrading the facilities here to switch from being a port-of-call to a home-port. However that is a few years out. I wonder if that would reduce problems in Vancouver or not.
The big issue with Vancouver is the Lion's Gate Bridge.... the bigger ships are unable to get under it. I can see that's a strength of a Victoria home port.

On the other hand... Vancouver has an international airport. Getting large crowds to Victoria will be a challenge... especially with the ferries (time & additional cost).

On the other hand... Vancouver has an international airport. Getting large crowds to Victoria will be a challenge... especially with the ferries (time & additional cost).

Victoria also has an international airport, granted not as big as Vancouver but ferries are not the only way to get there.

Embarked May 20, 3 hours of waiting and mindless walking. Last time for us out of Vancouver.

Ugh. Yes, sadly I think this is becoming more the norm. :( We have cruised out of Vancouver four times now, thrice at Ballentyne and once at Canada Place. Just be thankful this entire cruise season is Canada Place. :p

Victoria also has an international airport, granted not as big as Vancouver but ferries are not the only way to get there.

Exactly. ;):)

Yeah, I think it's a moot point anyway. Making Victoria a home port would involve bringing in CBP officers to do U.S. pre-clearance in Victoria for an Alaskan cruise, because if they don't then the whole ship would need to be cleared at the first Alaskan port, and we know that's not going to happen.

At present there are American CBP staff in Victoria year round. The pre clear the Coho ferry to Port Angeles, Washington State ferries to Anacortes, and Victoria Clipper/ Kenmore Air to Seattle. They do not clear any flights from the airport though. One huge issue in home porting vessels in Victoria is provisioning the ships; very expensive to get trucks on and off the Island. Perhaps smaller vessels, but I doubt the majors would be interested.

I'm embarking on June 11 on a two ship day. Embarkation time is 12pm and the ship is scheduled to depart at 5pm. I'm staying at the Pan Pacific the night before, so my preference would be to have the bellman bring over the luggage while I hang out in Vancouver and get to the ship between 2 and 3pm. From this thread it sounds like that may or may not work out well. Any idea whether some of the kinks will be worked out by then or whether I should forego sightseeing and just head straight to the boat before 12pm?

One huge issue in home porting vessels in Victoria is provisioning the ships; very expensive to get trucks on and off the Island. Perhaps smaller vessels, but I doubt the majors would be interested.

Agreed; although it's interesting to ponder, it will probably never happen even though it may be being discussed.

Embarkation time is 12pm and the ship is scheduled to depart at 5pm. I'm staying at the Pan Pacific the night before... forego sightseeing and just head straight to the boat before 12pm?

The embarkation time is not a rule; you can show up to the pier anytime after, say 10:30 am and expect to begin the check-in process. Personally, it's difficult to leave once you are checked in, as the U.S. pre-clearance can be the lengthy part of the process. I think you could have the luggage taken to the pier (downstairs, in your case), and then leave without checking in. If you go on about your morning in Vancouver, you might even see reduced lines later in the day.

Just be careful, though - you don't want to cut it too close. There was a heartbreaking story on another board about a family who did that in Miami, were busy sight-seeing and ran into traffic, and then mixed up locations of their car rental return, and missed the check-in time by 10 minutes. The ship sailed without them, and because they did not have passports they could not fly to the next port (sorry, long story, but I'm making a point).