Embarkation from Hell in Vancouver BC

They changed the procedure at Canada Place last year.

First you check in with cruise line on the second and get your room key.

Then you go down to the first floor and go thru airport type security.

Then you finally go to US pre clearance . After you go waiting for your cruise line. Security doesn't normally open until 10:30 . The same time as US pre clearance.

This is incorrect. On May 6th, all the ships had cruise ship check-in as the last step. We did not check in till we were through USCBP.

We sail out of Vancouver in Sept. for a CA Coastal. It's a 3 ship day. I wonder if it will be as much of a problem since we're not sailing to Alaska. This thread has caused a lot of concern. It does sound like a nightmare.

It should not be as bad, because it will be late in the season. The three ship day talked about in this thread was the very first of the season. Additionally, the reviews of three ship days since have indicated quicker processing. Bring your patience just in case it is slower.

So Martincath, your procedure sounds different from Kamloops.

I am trying to wrap my arms around how I arrive with my luggage...go upstairs and check in on the ship...go downstairs and do security...then Homeland whatever, just doesn't make sense.

Chillax! As already mentioned - luggage gets dropped off first, then you go to the holding area. The only thing different in K50s note from mine is that second stage - apparently now the cruiseline check-in happens in the convention holding area, then Security, then CBP. I'd mention that as of this season, the reports from early May indicate my observed process is the correct order rather than K50s - last year was a very variable one as they had done renos to improve flow, and tried various different permutations to maximise efficiency (we saw different processes every time we embarked in 2015). I recall Karen and I comparing experiences in 2015, as we both saw different processes used, and it was only when comparing dates that we could confirm we were both right - they changed the process between our cruises!

Now, if K50's info (cruise check-in first) is correct, that's actually a GOOD thing - it means the cruise lines can have Status/Suite guests getting priority right from the beginning (i.e. they can choose who goes down to security first). Considering that the report on this thread from May 6th specifically states that cruise check-in was the last stage and Latitudes Status did NOT help. I'm sure K50 is reporting his experience correctly, but I'm guessing it was from last season and is therefore no longer the way things are done...

There was even a brief period at the start of 2015 season when you had to carry luggage up to the holding room and hand it over there, but only because the conveyor belts the longshoremen use were not ready due to the renovations running late. The first of my three-ship days last season used the temporary baggage drop, but the second did not - we were back to using the conveyor belts just like every other year as soon as the belts got fixed.

For Midwestchick - doesn't matter that you're not going to Alaska. It's not magically different from the other 49 states. The reason for pre-clearance here before boarding is so that if your next stop is a US port - ANY US port - they don't have to staff it with a full complement of CBP agents sufficient to clear an entire ship. Some Cali Coastals do another Canadian port, e.g. Victoria or Nanaimo, after Vancouver - these do NOT do US pre-clearance before boarding because they remain in Canada.

If yours is one of these you will soon find out just how craptastic things are when Vancouver pre-clearance doesn't happen! Go search for reports about people disembarking in LA or San Francisco and having to wait hours for the couple of CBP agents, missing flights in mid-afternoon. Or spending hours walking off and back on the ship in Astoria or Seattle as the first US stop - a three-ship day in Vancouver pales compared to that nonsense!!!

Lastly, bear in mind that this and the other couple of threads about horrible (dis)embarkations were very early this season - most reports are from the very first three-ship day on 6th May. New staff, kiosks not working, and understaffing by CBP (probably because they though the kiosks would be working, which cuts back on staff requirements) explain most of the extra delays, with the remaining factor (as always) too many people who insist on showing up early jamming up the available space - there is a reason for the mainstream cruiselines (i.e. people with big ships) having suggested boarding times which spread the load between about 1pm and 3pm - if everyone actually showed up when they were asked to things would go much more smoothly, but it seems there is a huge proportion of cruisers who are desperate to be on-board in time for that 'free' lunch.

Sometimes several smaller issues combine to cause a big one; sometimes there's a genuine debacle like systems being down, idiots not getting off, etc. - but this is NOT THE NORM. On almost all 3-shippers everyone is on board before 4pm and the ships depart on time. As long as you turn up 90mins before the ship officially leaves, you WILL get onboard!!!

Looking forward to this cruise. Free lunch doesn't matter. Getting settled does! Getting friend who has a medical problem through the line does matter. If it is done by suite class that is helpful!

C

On the May 20th three ship day - I was on the Crown Princess - you registered with the ship in Convention Hall 3 and yes there was a separate line for Platinum, Elite etc - then proceeded down the stairs or elevator if necessary and into security - then customs and immigration and then because I was early into a Princess holding area where you coffee and light snacks were provided.

One of the challenges you are always going to face on three ship days is that allot of veteran, entitled cruisers and I am one of them arrive early so they can vie to be the first on the ship and first to get there favorite pool side seat or first to make that must have window seat in one of the dining rooms reservation,etc.

There are 18 CBP kiosks at Canada Place so if all are operating and it takes 1 - 2 minutes per passengers and there are 7000 cruisers and yes I realize that families are cleared as a group it would take how long to clear all those people.

When they have 5 kiosks in operation for much of the morning you can see why it takes so long to get on the ships.

The Port and the Cruise Lines can only do so much - the blame here should be directed at the DHS who consistently don't have enough manpower to handle the number of cruisers and this number is known in advance.

Even more concerning is the report that $7.00 of your port fees goes directly to the DHS for CBP operations at Canada Place - let's see 7000 cruisers at $7.00 = $49,000 which if my math is correct and it wasn't one of my strong subjects in school that works out to about $2700 US per agent - yes I know there are other costs involved but how do you justify that.

Thanks for letting me vent - I spent 4 hours in 80+ degree heat in Ft Lauderdale - no shade, no water, no seats, nothing waiting to board the Grand Princess for my South American cruise a few years back.

That is what I would have called An Embarkation from Hell.

Cheers!

Dennis

This is incorrect. On May 6th, all the ships had cruise ship check-in as the last step. We did not check in till we were through USCBP.

After the following week's fiasco they changed the procedure. Check in is now first.

Chillax! As already mentioned - luggage gets dropped off first, then you go to the holding area. The only thing different in K50s note from mine is that second stage - apparently now the cruiseline check-in happens in the convention holding area, then Security, then CBP. I'd mention that as of this season, the reports from early May indicate my observed process is the correct order rather than K50s - last year was a very variable one as they had done renos to improve flow, and tried various different permutations to maximise efficiency (we saw different processes every time we embarked in 2015). I recall Karen and I comparing experiences in 2015, as we both saw different processes used, and it was only when comparing dates that we could confirm we were both right - they changed the process between our cruises!

Now, if K50's info (cruise check-in first) is correct, that's actually a GOOD thing - it means the cruise lines can have Status/Suite guests getting priority right from the beginning (i.e. they can choose who goes down to security first). Considering that the report on this thread from May 6th specifically states that cruise check-in was the last stage and Latitudes Status did NOT help. I'm sure K50 is reporting his experience correctly, but I'm guessing it was from last season and is therefore no longer the way things are done...

There was even a brief period at the start of 2015 season when you had to carry luggage up to the holding room and hand it over there, but only because the conveyor belts the longshoremen use were not ready due to the renovations running late. The first of my three-ship days last season used the temporary baggage drop, but the second did not - we were back to using the conveyor belts just like every other year as soon as the belts got fixed.

For Midwestchick - doesn't matter that you're not going to Alaska. It's not magically different from the other 49 states. The reason for pre-clearance here before boarding is so that if your next stop is a US port - ANY US port - they don't have to staff it with a full complement of CBP agents sufficient to clear an entire ship. Some Cali Coastals do another Canadian port, e.g. Victoria or Nanaimo, after Vancouver - these do NOT do US pre-clearance before boarding because they remain in Canada.

If yours is one of these you will soon find out just how craptastic things are when Vancouver pre-clearance doesn't happen! Go search for reports about people disembarking in LA or San Francisco and having to wait hours for the couple of CBP agents, missing flights in mid-afternoon. Or spending hours walking off and back on the ship in Astoria or Seattle as the first US stop - a three-ship day in Vancouver pales compared to that nonsense!!!

Lastly, bear in mind that this and the other couple of threads about horrible (dis)embarkations were very early this season - most reports are from the very first three-ship day on 6th May. New staff, kiosks not working, and understaffing by CBP (probably because they though the kiosks would be working, which cuts back on staff requirements) explain most of the extra delays, with the remaining factor (as always) too many people who insist on showing up early jamming up the available space - there is a reason for the mainstream cruiselines (i.e. people with big ships) having suggested boarding times which spread the load between about 1pm and 3pm - if everyone actually showed up when they were asked to things would go much more smoothly, but it seems there is a huge proportion of cruisers who are desperate to be on-board in time for that 'free' lunch.

Sometimes several smaller issues combine to cause a big one; sometimes there's a genuine debacle like systems being down, idiots not getting off, etc. - but this is NOT THE NORM. On almost all 3-shippers everyone is on board before 4pm and the ships depart on time. As long as you turn up 90mins before the ship officially leaves, you WILL get onboard!!!

Close, but not quite.

Yes, the cruise-line check in a few days ago was upstairs, AFTER dropping off checked luggage (Caroldoll, don't fret again!).

However, although everyone had their keycards with whatever suite/etc. status indicated, everyone just went back downstairs.

There was no separation for the US CBP or security screening.

But there was only a minimal wait, something like 2 minutes, not anything we'd even call a "wait"... just a handful of people ahead off us. They then opened another line, and about 3 people got to that before we could.

Not a problem... at least, not a problem *early*.

After we went through those, we went to a large waiting area, with lots of seats, and that was the first time there was any place for suite passengers to get expedited access, etc.

(And it was not easy to know how to do that. If one did not already know to 'speak up to anyone official" about "suite passengers, please", then it would have been too easy to sit down with the larger group. There were no visible signs.)

At least there was plenty of seating available, or there was early on.

After reading the above reports, we decided to go early, and that clearly wasn't a bad idea.

Whether those arriving later had longer waits, we don't know, as we were through all off that already - and on board.

To us, it looked much better than any recent cruise check-in elsewhere (including Miami).

But again, we went early, thanks to the warnings and comments above.

I am going to follow your advice and NOT FRET, but it sounds like the problems are ironing out. I am an old timer, so I will look/ask about Suite passengers. Fortunately the people we are traveling with got a suite..it took lots of talking though!

I am going to follow your advice and NOT FRET, but it sounds like the problems are ironing out. I am an old timer, so I will look/ask about Suite passengers. Fortunately the people we are traveling with got a suite..it took lots of talking though!

When are you sailing from Vancouver, and on which ship?

(I remember the difficulties you had on the PoA. That was "frettable" :D)

dagadget - this post was made in May 2016, just last month, so of course the situation hasn't got any better yet.

Thanks I did see a review from 2011 and the problems have remained the same for way too many years. I posted it hear instead of where I saw it. Even still Vancouver needs to step the game up a great deal.

"Even still Vancouver needs to step the game up a great deal."

Just what would you suggest that Vancouver do?

If DHS isn't supplying enough agents - like 5 on duty in the early part of a three ship day when there are about 7000 cruisers waiting to board how is that the fault of the Port of Vancouver.

I have a solution - get rid of clearing US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver and have it done at the first Alaskan port - so if three ships left Vancouver with lets say at total of around 6000 passengers and all had Ketchikan has the first US Port and there was only 5 DHS agents to clear the ship how long do you think it would take to clear the ship and how long before some local Congressmen would raise holy hell about the lack of agents and you would likely see a report on CNN or Fox News about the terrible job DHS is doing BUT because Vancouver is in Canada nothing will get done about it.

Cheers!

Dennis

"Even still Vancouver needs to step the game up a great deal."

Just what would you suggest that Vancouver do?

If DHS isn't supplying enough agents - like 5 on duty in the early part of a three ship day when there are about 7000 cruisers waiting to board how is that the fault of the Port of Vancouver.

I have a solution - get rid of clearing US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver and have it done at the first Alaskan port - so if three ships left Vancouver with lets say at total of around 6000 passengers and all had Ketchikan has the first US Port and there was only 5 DHS agents to clear the ship how long do you think it would take to clear the ship and how long before some local Congressmen would raise holy hell about the lack of agents and you would likely see a report on CNN or Fox News about the terrible job DHS is doing BUT because Vancouver is in Canada nothing will get done about it.

Cheers!

Dennis

I like your comment Dennis. They'll have even a longer delay. Think of 5 large ships at one time.

"Think of 5 large ships at one time."

It would only be the ships that sailed from Vancouver that would need to clear in Ketchikan - the ones from Seattle or San Francisco wouldn't unless they stopped in Victoria on the northbound route which isn't usually the case.

"Gopherpharm" - generally the problem described here are usually for the three ship days early in the season so if there are only two ships there shouldn't be big lineups - remember arriving at 10:30 might get you through security and immigration etc faster but you may still have to wait if the ship isn't ready to board.

Does anyone know the history of why here in Vancouver when sailing north to Alaska you clear US Customs etc on Canadian soil and not in the first US Port - perhaps Putterdude might know the answer but I think he is away on a cruise at the moment.

Cheers!

Dennis

Does anyone know the history of why here in Vancouver when sailing north to Alaska you clear US Customs etc on Canadian soil and not in the first US Port - perhaps Putterdude might know the answer but I think he is away on a cruise at the moment.

Probably similar reason to why U.S.-bound flights from Canada pre-clear in Canada....to make things easier on the arrival end. Canada is allowed the same privilege at airports in the U.S., but they do not take advantage of it (presumably because it is not worth the cost).

For cruises, it seems more efficient to handle things as people line up to embark than at a little station like Ketchikan where people have to come off the ship and be accounted for, etc.

"Does anyone know the history of why here in Vancouver when sailing north to Alaska you clear US Customs etc on Canadian soil and not in the first US Port.
I remember Cathay airlines was doing something similar in Hong Kong for Canada destined flights. This was on the news over a decade ago.... not sure if it's still done.

The idea is to keep trouble makers from entering another country and then needing to fly them back. Especially if the hotel and transportation costs goes to the airline/ship.

I was on the Ruby last December. Departing from Vancouver was incredibly easy.... debarking at San Pedro was a nightmare. My assigned 9am didn't let me out until 2pm. Instead of having the 5 customs officer in Vancouver to be upset about. Ruby passengers were upset at the 5 customs officers in San Pedro.

I heard from a friend, on an April Princess cruise from Vancouver to the California coast.... once again San Pedro was a pain for the customs.

As mentioned earlier.... they need to have much more customs officers to process 2000 plus passengers in a timely manner.... off loading the congestion point to another country is not the solution.

Makes me wonder.... what percentage of bad apples do they find from a cruise ship?

Edited by xlxo

We are indeed there at the same time. The reason I know for sure is I found out my sister-in-law and brother-in-law are on that ship too--what a coincidence.

I am hoping for an easy time..perhaps they have more personnel by now. Who knows. I wonder what the third ship is...I did notice, but I forgot!

It looks like we will have pretty consistent rain and I am sorry about that.

Should our paths cross in one of the terminals or ports you will be able to recognize us as my husband is hugely tall and I am very small. Not many couples with this much of a difference! LOL. Say hello!

We are indeed there at the same time. The reason I know for sure is I found out my sister-in-law and brother-in-law are on that ship too--what a coincidence.

I am hoping for an easy time..perhaps they have more personnel by now. Who knows. I wonder what the third ship is...I did notice, but I forgot!

It looks like we will have pretty consistent rain and I am sorry about that.

Should our paths cross in one of the terminals or ports you will be able to recognize us as my husband is hugely tall and I am very small. Not many couples with this much of a difference! LOL. Say hello!

Hi again, Caroldoll,

The other ship is the Celebrity Infinity:

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Cruise-Schedule-2016-April-27-F.pdf

But IF the procedure is as it was when we went through almost 2 weeks ago now, you should be fine.

IF you arrive early, the "only hiccup" should be waiting for the cruiseline check-in... and I'm assuming that Crystal would be handling this pretty well, and it's not a huge ship to start with.

Also, IIRC, you usually get nice suites, so you would probably also get some expedited service there, if necessary.

We had a wonderful time last week, including some extra time in Seward, and had some very fortunate excursions, including weather that was much better than predicted.

Hope the same for you!

Enjoy!

Isn't the Celebrity Infinity being repaired? It may be finished? Wasn't that the one that hit the dock in Ketchikan?

I hope we have a little better weather than I am seeing. Some rain is all right, but all the time..not quite so good...but I am NOT worrying! LOL

I hope things have let up some on check-in and we will be there early.

We do have one of the largest suites, so maybe we can work this smoothly. The other couple has a slightly smaller one, so I am hoping! LOL, not worrying so much now!

Isn't the Celebrity Infinity being repaired? It may be finished? Wasn't that the one that hit the dock in Ketchikan?

I hope we have a little better weather than I am seeing. Some rain is all right, but all the time..not quite so good...but I am NOT worrying! LOL

I hope things have let up some on check-in and we will be there early.

We do have one of the largest suites, so maybe we can work this smoothly. The other couple has a slightly smaller one, so I am hoping! LOL, not worrying so much now!

Ah yes, the Ketchikan adventure.

I think they patched the ship, but don't know what future plans are for something more permanent.

I do hope the Canada Place procedure is as it was last week.

The only "wait" of any sort was the queue (seated, at least) for general cabins.

This was NCL, and someone else mentioned that there was no priority boarding.

We didn't see it, either, so we asked a few people and refused to be seated in the large hall. Sure enough, totally hidden from view, was the Priority area for suites.

They should have at least had a small sign that the area existed.

(There was a large sign, but it was just more general "NCL" signage., with no real clue about what was around that corner...)

If they are going to offer that service, they should make sure the passengers can find it.

At least at the time we arrived (early), there was NO wait to "check in" (first stop, upstairs, AFTER dropping luggage downstairs).

There were many kiosks with attendants, but no one checking in.

Then a mere handful of people for CBP, a 2 minute wait if that.

And then on to the specific cruiseline organized area.

You should be just fine at that point.

Were you there on a three ship day?

On Norwegian when I have been in a named suite, the head Concierge was always around and escorted us through their check-in. I am surprised that the line was hidden! Changing times! LOL.

So we check in with the ship first.

Then we come downstairs and go through two other procedures?

I will be so glad when this is over. It is hard to travel with someone who has a slight disability, although I realize that I may have one any day now, LOL!

I do enjoy getting on the ship and enjoying it for the day though, not to mention the chance of getting the luggage earlier than just before dinner! We have been there and done that too. It also depends on the Stevedores...some ports are better, some worse.

Thanks for the hand holding!

Carole