The Pride out again????

Barrycat

We have a large group booked on the May 6, 2017 Rome Athens cruise on the Pride. I just checked today and saw that his cruise is no longer listed as well as all Pride cruises between late April and late October. Also the Breeze disappears from early July to late September. Can't believe that all of these are fully booked and unless they are in the process of updating their website, something is up. Anybody have any insight?

I have no insight and it is perplexing. It seems it is just the Pride and the Breeze so I am going to assume they are changing their website perhaps changing itineraries. When you start changing a website all sorts of things go wrong. It seems all the other ships are the same. My trip 5/17 on the Surf is still there. Also perhaps they will start putting 2018 up because most other lines have 2018 up at least the winter. Let's hope! Happy Sailing

According to Windstar reps yesterday, the disappearance of the Pride from the website next summer is due to a reshuffle of itineraries. They said that this is being done by ship and the Pride itineraries should show up again. Let's hope they are correct.

Previous post is correct, the Pride is finally steaming towards Spain

Oh great. We're on the Breeze in August and just made the final payment.

Adding. Actually, I'm seeing the breeze though the entire period. We'd previously noted the spotty Pride schedule, and I'm seeing some itins showing. It seemed to be linked to charters.

Edited by milepig

First of all, my comments about the Pride and Breeze are for sailings in the summer of 2017.. 2016 looks ok.

Something is definitely going on with the Pride next year between May and October and possibly with the Breeze later on that summer. My guess is with the need to fill over 1000 berths on all ships combined each week during the summer in Europe, the new management at Windstar is reevaluating where best to place their vessels during that time. Unfortunately that reevaluation is probably not going to work in favor of our large group already reserved for an early summer cruise on the Pride.

Only by regularly checking the Windstar website did I see this change which appeared to be news to at least some of our contacts at the company. Obviously improving communication within the company as well as with clients should be a priority for the new management team. Poor communication has always been a valid rap on the company, not the fault of individual planners who have always been great.

Tauck is using Windstar Pride--and perhaps Breeze--for some of its Panama and Costa Rica itineraries. As a past Tauck European river cruiser I receive some of the catalogues but do not remember the dates.

Tauck is using Windstar Pride--and perhaps Breeze--for some of its Panama and Costa Rica itineraries. As a past Tauck European river cruiser I receive some of the catalogues but do not remember the dates.

So this implies that WS is throwing in the towel on being able to fill their ships and they're (in airline terms) wet leasing them to other companies?

So this implies that WS is throwing in the towel on being able to fill their ships and they're (in airline terms) wet leasing them to other companies?

Just look at all the sales that they have had lately. It seems every couple of days I am getting another email touting their "sale". I have also noticed that WS is now listed on numerous online travel agencies. This was not the case months ago.

All this points to WS having problems filling the cabins.

I know that after our sailing on the Legend last year (our 6th WS sailing but the first on the powered ships), we are taking a "wait and see" approach to WS and are actively looking at booking a different line. In my mind, WS had catered to an upscale clientele but with the new ships they started looking more like a mass market line.

Three years ago Tauck was also using the sailing ships. They had 10-15 cabins on the Star for the Istanbul cruise we were on. I see no problem with this, Tauck is a very upscale touring agency. People were friendly and lovely. If Tauck is using the motor yachts it means the high quality will continue. No wait and see for us, 18 sail cruises, 1 motor yacht, thought it was a great WS experience. I think adding Tauck is a good thing. Also, when you compare Tauks prices to alumni rates and willingness to adjust rates we are receiving a great value. Given Tauck's great reputation I think it is a compliment to WS. Happy Sailing

We have been getting Tauck catalogs every year and these voyages with WS are nothing new. If Tauck doesn't fill the date it comes back on the availabe itinerary lists. As for the "sales" this is nothing new for them or anyone else in the business. It's just how it's done now. The Internet has changed many business models and demands a different type of marketing approach. Ownership is from a resort background and marketing much like that industry. We just came back from a very full cruise on Surf so good for them. It seems to be a successful plan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just look at all the sales that they have had lately. It seems every couple of days I am getting another email touting their "sale". I have also noticed that WS is now listed on numerous online travel agencies. This was not the case months ago.

All this points to WS having problems filling the cabins.

I know that after our sailing on the Legend last year (our 6th WS sailing but the first on the powered ships), we are taking a "wait and see" approach to WS and are actively looking at booking a different line. In my mind, WS had catered to an upscale clientele but with the new ships they started looking more like a mass market line.

We're getting lots of emails for sale fares from all the companies we have cruised with, not just Windstar. I don't think this implies that Windstar is having more problems than other lines. I think it is a reflection of the travel market these days with all the political instability and economic uncertainty.

Cruise companies have always set there brochure prices ridiculously high. This practice allows them to constantly advertise sales of 50% or more off of brochure prices. It is a common practice. Arthur Frommer is famous for saying that only a sucker pays full brochure price.

We're getting lots of emails for sale fares from all the companies we have cruised with, not just Windstar. I don't think this implies that Windstar is having more problems than other lines. I think it is a reflection of the travel market these days with all the political instability and economic uncertainty.

This is exactly right. Oceania is running some (for them) great deals right now trying to lure people to Europe. It will take a while before people want to travel in Europe in the same numbers as previously.

Apparently the Pride is going to be leaving the Med after its late April 2017 Barcelona Rome cruise and heading up north. The company will need to rebook any of the Pride May to October 2017 passengers.

In looking at the website, it appears that the Breeze will also be repositioned later that summer as well.

With all of the conversation about the dangers of visiting Turkey and other cruise and airlines pulling out of that region, demand for Windstar in that area is probably a factor