Cruise Vcation Guide - how far in advance is it sent?

jw_406

I picked up the blue book with luggage tags from my TA a couple of days ago for my Baltic cruise on July 23. Surprised that I received it so soon and very impressed at the quality. I am super excited to go on my first Oceania cruise.

Today, we received our booklet for a cruise on Insignia on August 9. I too was very surprised to having it so soon. Normally we get them 2 or at most 3 weeks in advance. 80% of the book is about the ship's excursions, so maybe they send it asap so that we can book more excursions?

Today, we received our booklet for a cruise on Insignia on August 9. I too was very surprised to having it so soon. Normally we get them 2 or at most 3 weeks in advance. 80% of the book is about the ship's excursions, so maybe they send it asap so that we can book more excursions?

We are on a July 19th sailing on Insignia. I received our booklet on May 4th!

Much earlier than normal. We have a TA , but it was sent directly from Oceania. Maybe they send Insignia's booklets earlier;)

I suspect now that that are no longer adding the names of the top brass on the sailing they can send the booklets earlier

just my guess

The TA can have the booklets send direct to their clients or to the agency

In this day of internet bookings etc.. there really is no need for it to go to the TA like the days before internet when the agents had to look over the documents to make sure the information was all correct before giving them to their clients

Bad in those days you used to get bags or hats etc...from the cruise line or tour operator before the trip ;)

Edited by LHT28

My blue book arrived the day I flew out lol.

Have fun reading it and dreaming about your fabulous trip!

I hope the OP was able to get her Blue Book for herself and the couple she is traveling with ;)

**Update (2nd poster who was asked to pay $45 for book delivery)

Contacted Oceania last weekend and was promised they'd see what they could do and would email me their decision on Monday. Week has gone by and haven't heard anything back from them. Not very impressed with that.

Followed up with my TA and they are now sending me the original luggage tags from the book, although not the book itself. I'm thinking it can only get better from here on!!

I have no idea who to blame for this snafu but it makes no sense to me at all.

As long as you get the luggage tags, that's the real deal.

Why are you the only person in the Oceania world NOT to get the book????

Mura

Contacted Oceania last weekend and was promised they'd see what they could do and would email me their decision on Monday. Week has gone by and haven't heard anything back from them. Not very impressed with that.

Followed up with my TA and they are now sending me the original luggage tags from the book, although not the book itself. I'm thinking it can only get better from here on!!

I would share your story with Frank Del Rio. He founded Oceania and runs the entire company that owns Oceania. This is his baby and he would be horrified that a guest is getting the runaround from their TA and then also from Oceania.

He often answers his own email. Good luck!

Chief Executive

Frank J. Del Rio

President and Chief Executive Officer Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (includes Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Oceania)

8300 NW 33rd Street

Suite 100

Miami, FL 33122

(954) 776-6123

fdelrio@ncl.com

Edited by JVilleGal

I'm sure it will get better from here on in. If it's any consolation even the luggage tags are no big deal. The crew can manage without them. We upgraded last year so our luggage tags were wrong and our cases still ended up in the right place because our cases had our names on.

You may still get an email from Oceania and I do hope you get the blue book. I think your TA has behaved appallingly.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

I am on the same cruise and have not received anything.

Terri

We used an online TA for years with no problems and great service, until he finally retired last year.

For our next cruise, I went directly to the Oceania site and requested additional information about an Alaska cruise with grandchildren. The "top tier" agent who responded the next day informed me that Oceania was not a good fit for children, that Oceania had no children's program on an Alaska cruise, and offered to help me find a "suitable" cruise line. Unbelievable!

I'm still not sure whether Oceania referred me to this agency so they would politely discourage a booking with kids without having do so officially or whether the agent thought she could get a better commission if she steered me elsewhere or whether the agent was just plain ignorant.

Instead of dealing with "Ms Know-It-All," I went to one of those fare competition sites and chose a TA from those who responded. I first asked her some basic questions, got quick and accurate responses, and checked that her agency got good reviews. I have gotten great service, nice perks, prompt responses to questions, and the blue book arrived on time. So I don't think the problem is an online/discount TA issue.

Mary

Mary, it could just be that the "top tier" agent has done her research by reading these boards ;) .

Though I have to say that even I know that Oceania has offered a children's programme on Alaska cruises.

Imo the book is pretty worthless ever since the information about key staff has been omitted. It is a sales brochure for shore excursions.

I agree it is not as useful as it used to be but for first timers it is something they may like to see :D

For me the most useful aspect is the printed luggage tags. I have been known to consult the ship's tours -- more often to give me an idea of what to look for in a private tour than to book one of them ... but with oLife tours being included (we will be taking some of them) it is also helpful.

I know that some people are very interested in knowing who the captain, cruise director and other ship staff are ... but for me that's never been particularly important, especially since the information was often outdated by the time we boarded.

And as Lyn says, it can be helpful for newbies, I'm sure.

Mura