10pm flight out SEA- suggestions for day

Rent a car for the day, throw your bags in the back, and drive to Whidbey Island, Mt. Rainier, or Snoqualmie Falls. Visit the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island or the Museum of Glass in Tacoma. Or tour the Boeing factory and have a picnic on the beach in Mukilteo.

Or go berry picking on Vashon Island, or walk around Seward Park and look for the resident eagles. Or visit the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field and have kalbi sliders and mai tais at Marination Ma Kai on the West Seattle water taxi dock.

Or visit Gasworks Park and tour the University of Washington campus. Have burritos and Margaritas at Agua Verde, or walk through the gardens and see the salmon through the underwater windows at the Ballard Locks.

(Use the Goog for any of these things.)

Then drive to the airport and drop the car in the evening, maybe after a sunset dinner on the water someplace.

Any advice on tours that end at the airport? Or hotel room for day?

I agree with Gardyloo's idea; a car provides an activity for the day plus it serves as your luggage storage and your airport transfer. But I suggest Mt St Helens ... gets you away from Seattle traffic, and it's a fascinating destination.

We are in the same boat. Wondering what to do for the day. 10PM flight also?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is luggage storage at pier 66 until 3:30pm (they're strict about the time).

Or take a transfer (Seattle Express $15pp) to the airport and leave your luggage with KEN's Storage, near baggage claim. Then take the Light Rail back to Seattle to explore for the day. $3 pp to Westlake Center, 5th and Pike).

Check under TOP QUESTIONS on the seattle forum of tripadvisor.com where there are a couple of threads dedicated to cruise pax .

Does your cruiseline offer a luggage service that will take your luggage directly to the airport from the pier?

The Klondike Gold Rush Historical park in Pioneer Square is really cool place to visit. Seattle Aquarium, Space Needle, Great wheel, Harbor cruise, and even the EMP are other ideas.

There is plenty to do in Seattle, with or without a car, without having to travel very far.

• 4 weeks later...

Your long day before your flight provides the opportunity to get out of the city and explore the one of the reasons why so many of us love western Washington. Mount Rainier is spectacular, a snow capped peak with old growth forests, waterfalls and glaciers, an easy drive from Seattle. The Park's historic log lodges, Paradise Lodge and the National Park Inn in Longmire, have nice menus and are worth a stop. You might feel that you've had enough scenery after a trip to Alaska, but Mount Rainier may just become your favorite.

Our ONLY bad memory of Seattle lies with the rude and unhelpful ground staff at BA check in at Sea-Tac. And NO - they are not BA employees -

Note for internationals - they will NOT accept your bags for drop until 4 hours prior. We turned up earlier as we would do in any BA check in worldwide - had a lounge etc all booked and basically were sent packing. ... by the suit in grey - he must wake up every morning and look at that ugly face and think - yeah man - I got me some power..... ugh!

We fly BA all over the world and Miami is usually the lowest of the low - well - loved Seattle from the bottom of our hearts EXCEPT for this torn faced ground crew who continued right up until embarkation point to be the rudest, meanest - most horrid crew ever...

Hope they are proud they let their city down!

Your long day before your flight provides the opportunity to get out of the city and explore the one of the reasons why so many of us love western Washington. Mount Rainier is spectacular, a snow capped peak with old growth forests, waterfalls and glaciers, an easy drive from Seattle. The Park's historic log lodges, Paradise Lodge and the National Park Inn in Longmire, have nice menus and are worth a stop. You might feel that you've had enough scenery after a trip to Alaska, but Mount Rainier may just become your favorite.

I agree with this option. Take a cab to the airport and rent a car and go to Mt Rainier. It is a 90 minute trip and if you want , you can take a side trip to Mt St Helens. You can keep your luggage in the trunk. Car rentals at SeaTac are usually in the $25-$35 total for 24 hours. Mt Rainier at Paradise still has 8 feet of snow on the ground, but when the snow melts, the flowers come out in Reds white and Blues.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my luggage because of a very late flight as well. I found that there is a Hertz location, 5 miles from the pier, that provides free pick up service within 15 minutes from the location (not including the airport). You can rent the car from that location and drop it off at the airport when you are ready to fly.

If anyone has used this service, can you comment on your experience. Thanks in advance.

Here is the information they have in their website

Special Services at this Location

Pickup/Return Service: Available with a one hour advance notice and within 15 minutes from the Hertz Local Edition (HLE) location. Once your reservation is booked, the location will call or email you at the phone number or email address provided to confirm pick up service. Airport concession agreements do not permit Hertz to offer Pick Up and Return Service at airport locations. Hertz is prohibited from providing Pick Up and Return Service if you arrive at an airport- either from the Hertz airport location or from any Hertz off airport location. Any reservations made for pick up service at an airport location cannot be honored for pick up.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my luggage because of a very late flight as well. I found that there is a Hertz location, 5 miles from the pier, that provides free pick up service within 15 minutes from the location (not including the airport). You can rent the car from that location and drop it off at the airport when you are ready to fly.

National/Alamo and Enterprise have kiosks at the cruise terminals; they will shuttle you to their downtown location where you can pick up the car, and drop it at the airport later.

There are numerous rental car agencies in downtown Seattle, all of them within a $10 - $15 cab radius from the piers.

National/Alamo and Enterprise have kiosks at the cruise terminals; they will shuttle you to their downtown location where you can pick up the car, and drop it at the airport later.

There are numerous rental car agencies in downtown Seattle, all of them within a $10 - $15 cab radius from the piers.

Unfortunately, their websites show no availability for July 15th, which is when I would need their services.

Unfortunately, their websites show no availability for July 15th, which is when I would need their services.

Take a cab to the airport and rent the car- usually about $25/per day if rented 1-4 weeks in advance. Avoid downtown Seattle, as there is no parking and also downtown is full of homeless, panhandlers, crime and the smell of urine everywhere. It has got to the point that the area residents in the area do not go into Seattle. As stated in the above messages there is plenty to see outside of Seattle.

Take a cab to the airport and rent the car- usually about $25/per day if rented 1-4 weeks in advance. Avoid downtown Seattle, as there is no parking and also downtown is full of homeless, panhandlers, crime and the smell of urine everywhere. It has got to the point that the area residents in the area do not go into Seattle. As stated in the above messages there is plenty to see outside of Seattle.

I have searched extensively for the most economical rates and have not come across the $25 car rentals. Which company rents the cars at this rate.

Because it is 5 of us, taking a cab would cost me more than renting the car from the hertz that is 5 miles away from the port. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have searched extensively for the most economical rates and have not come across the $25 car rentals. Which company rents the cars at this rate.

Because it is 5 of us, taking a cab would cost me more than renting the car from the hertz that is 5 miles away from the port. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am sorry, I was quoting a price that I had received before the cruise season. It looks like they have jacked up the rental rates to around $100.00 +/day. That what happens where there is 3 major car rental companies instead of 14 a couple of years ago.

Any advice on tours that end at the airport? Or hotel room for day?

We are in the same boat. Wondering what to do for the day.

I don't know what cruise line you're co;ming in on so I don't know if this is applicable to you, but I do know that Princess has at least 1 tour of the Seattle area that picks you up at the pier (Pier 91) the morning you arrive back in Seattle from your cruise, loads you and your bags on a regular motorcoach, takes you to a number of different places and then drops you off at the airport sometime in the afternoon with your bags for your flight home. Depending on the length of the tour and your scheduled departure time, that might work for you. I'd suggest checking your Cruise Personalizer (or whatever your cruise line calls their program) to see if that is available. You might also check with Seattle Express and/or Shuttle Express to see what they offer, as they probably have similar programs.

Contact info for Seattle Express & Shuttle Express:

Shuttle Express Info:

http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Phone: (425) 981-7000 or (888) 787-8598

Email: sales@shuttleexpress.net

Seattle Express Info: http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html

Phone: (206) 793-8430

EMAIL: mattseattleexpress@yahoo.com

As mentioned in another posting, luggage storage at the pier concierges (both at Pier 66 and Pier 91) is from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost is $3.00 per bag, cash only. If you need luggage storage past 3:30, the Edgewater Hotel would be your best bet. It is right next to Pier 66, $5.00/bag, unlimited hours.

Hope this helps.

Tom

You don't paint a pretty picture of Seattle.

We are staying in downtown Seattle for two days pre-cruise late September. From your description it appears that it would be safest to stay in the hotel room for the entire time.