Tips for remembering those onboard terms...?

Ginb56

Most people recommend asking your cabin steward if you are unsure. I asked mine where the doodah was and he had no idea so it's best to have a deck plan.

Regards John

Yes the stewards don't really get to see many of the public areas of the ship (nor do waiters) certainly not often enough to direct you to anything other than your cabin [emoji52]

Have to say, I am better at port and starboard now, but I can never seem to get my head around the front and the back and always seem to get disorientated/ The bigger the ship the worse it gets.

Last year on Britannia - after a wine tour I have to add - I wandered off at a brisk pace leaving hubby behind stating that I knew exactly where I was going and would get to the cabin first. After what seemed an age I noticed that the cabin numbers were going down and I was heading for the pointy end of the ship. All well and good, but we were in an aft cabin and as anyone who has been on Britannia knows it is a very long walk if you get it wrong!

I obviously turned around and started to walk the other way. On my way to our cabin I passed 3 other couples from the same wine tour who were all in pointy end cabins who had ended up at the aft of the ship who too had wandered off in the wrong direction. The cabin stewards we passed twice probably knew what was going on as we all had our free wine tour hats on ....

Like some of our fellow passengers we decided, however, that we wanted to blame the ship's design and P&O generally - for lack or signage and lifts - for our lack of judgement ;);)

As you can imagine when I finally got to the aft cabins I was greeted by a smug husband who thought I had gone overboard as I had been missing so long :-)

My wife got confused on the Brittainia because there was no slidy part ala Arcadia and others with a roof over the pool.

But even after a dozen cruises she still says the pointy end or blunt end where apparently you can water ski from ! :D

Edited by TOMOGP

Having started this thread, I'm so pleased that even seasoned cruisers still get lost or use the same funny names of locations like we do. It's very reassuring! I'm also loving the humour and merry banter. Makes a lovely change from moaners and groaners who emerge on other topics. So thanks for making us all smile! Looking forward to Oriana on 10 June and hopefully not getting too lost...

We're off on our 2nd cruise next month so are just beginning to get the hang of it. We wonder if you've any tips or funny ways that you remember all the terminology and locations onboard - I still have to think twice when I see aft, bow, stern, port, starboard etc. Fore and mid ships I can just about manage...!

Port I remember as the same number of letters in 'left' - which means starboard must be right..but is that left/right when standing onboard looking forward, or looking from front towards the back?! (Hope I'm confusing you nicely!). Bow as in bow wave. But aft and stern I still have to think twice, even though they're more or less the same? Don't get me started on windward v leeward!

I guess on our first cruise (Azura) we could just about get away with calling it the 'pointy end' and the 'stubby end' when trying to get our bearings, especially when deciphering the deck plans onboard to see where we were. But I'm sure some of you will have your own quirky ways of remembering the proper ship terms (before it became second nature to you) that will help other cruise virgins? All tips very welcome, thanks!

Pretend you are at a dinner party and ask the question "how much red port is left" Don't forget; on the stairways its usual to take the shortest way up and the longest way down

Having started this thread, I'm so pleased that even seasoned cruisers still get lost or use the same funny names of locations like we do. It's very reassuring! I'm also loving the humour and merry banter. Makes a lovely change from moaners and groaners who emerge on other topics. So thanks for making us all smile! Looking forward to Oriana on 10 June and hopefully not getting too lost...

Now then.....shall I play some mischief with the signs on board for you....i disembark on 10th June......:D

• 2 weeks later...

I never worry about getting lost, I always seem to find something I did not know about. :D

A couple of years back we were on the Ventura. It was a sea day and my wife had a lay in while I went for breakfast. When I returned to the cabin, it was empty. We never saw each other for about 6 hours. :D