Single cruiser prices

johnw

Can you please explain where you come up with $1 a day? :rolleyes:

Food ordered in the mass quantity that a princess ship would order it and served from a buffet line (including the MDR, it's basically a buffet line behind the scenes) costs next to nothing per passenger. You're still going to have some items that cost more than others (meats vs. vegetables), but I'm guessing the overall cost averages 60 cents to a dollar per passenger per meal (my mistake for not saying per meal in my previous post).

The specialty restaurants are another story. There's probably a $5-$9 per person per meal cost to some of those restaurants, especially the Crown Grill.

I'm not an expert in food costs, but I do work in the bulk purchasing field and have a good idea of what per person costs are for various products.

I have cruised solo several times on Princess (as well as some other cruise lines). I have gotten cabins from 130% to 200% with taxes, fees and gratuities for one person. If I book a balcony or mini I've almost always paid 200%. An inside or OV can be less than 200%. These cruises with prices less than 200% are getting fewer and fewer lately. Sometimes, Princess needs to fill up some cabins and will offer an unadvertised sale for solos. Also, if you have a sailing with a lot of children, (think Easter) meaning that many cabins have more than 2 people, Princess will be getting close to their limit of total number of passengers allowed on the ship. They will sell off cabins to solos at a fairly low price to fill them up and not go over their head count limit. I have gotten balcony cabins for less than 200% when this happens. It all comes down to diligent shopping to watch for offers. That said, normally, you will pay 200%.

What ship and sail date?

I am pretty sure it was the Equinox and had ports in Greece. Don't remember the exact date because it was several months ago that I was shopping around. However, it was a July or August sailing; prime time, high demand. No bargain there. Currently booked on the Royal, July sailing. Priced a verandah room on Celebrity and balcony room on the Royal.

Edited by lolane1

I am pretty sure it was the Equinox and had ports in Greece. Don't remember the exact date because it was several months ago that I was shopping around. However, it was a July or August sailing; prime time, high demand. No bargain there. Currently booked on the Royal, July sailing. Priced a verandah room on Celebrity and balcony room on the Royal.

I have never heard of a single supplement going higher than 200%.

Well welcome to reality of solo cruising!!!! I just checked.....Greek Islands Celebrity Equinox July 9th sailing is $2098 for 2, but $2798 for 1(Verandah stateroom). Not getting my dollars. Hello Princess my old friend :D

Edited by lolane1

What does a single person pay for a cruise.

On this site there is a solo cruisers board. One of the threads on that board is titled..."single solo bargains post here" (or somewhat close to that).

It was on that board that I found a post regarding Ruby Princess sailing July 10 of this year. Not only was there NO single supplement, for some reason there was a neagtve solo supplement. The cabin was per person cheaper for one than if per person two had booked.

When I saw that deal and the sail dates which concided very well with my work schedule, I cancelled my vacation week and selected the week of July 10.:D

I am looking forward to my first Princess cruise!

What's wrong with the answers folks have given so far?

They seem pretty reasonable.

I agree--they pretty much sum things up! As I have mentioned on other threads, keep in mind the bottom line for the solo cruise you are considering, and don't get too hung up on the supplement %. Paying 200% of a $1000 fare is better than paying 150% of a $2000 fare.

One thing to keep an eye on--I have found with Princess that when fares change, the single supplement % can change also. I have seen fares drop, but the supplement % increase leaving the total for a solo about the same. So check on this before being refared during a promotion, especially if it means losing any OBC in the process.

A lot to consider when sailing solo. Hope this helps :).

...There are no longer any Princess ships with single cabins...HAL has some on their ships. I know that the Prinsendam does. Not sure which others.

The new HAL Koningsdam has 12 OV single cabins. Some on the HAL board are concerned that they appear to be placed in less-desirable areas of the ship, perhaps in places where a standard cabin wouldn't fit. Time will tell.

Definitely possible and I've experienced this bias. Singles are not eligible for most promotions. We can't get the 2:1 sales, for instance. If there were a 2:1 sale, a couple would pay only one cruise fare; a single would pay almost two cruise fares. A few years ago, there were several 2:1 promotions and I wasn't able to get any of them. The fine print always says: "Based on double occupancy."

Since this is the Princess board, lets assume the OP is asking specifically about Princess and not all cruise lines in general.

There are no single occupancy cabins on any Princess ship.

The vast, vast majority of the time the single occupancy rate will be 200% of the double occupancy rate.

For inside and oceanview cabins priced at full rack rate, you may find single occupancy prices in the 170-175% of double occupancy range. But 200% of the current promotional price will always be less than 170% of full rack rate.

Be aware that you will get some responses that under certain promotions Princess has refused single bookings even at the 200% rate. Those claims are not credible.

I'm sailing solo occupancy in a Window Suite on the Golden Princess. I'm paying double occupancy and single taxes. HTH.

Well welcome to reality of solo cruising!!!! I just checked.....Greek Islands Celebrity Equinox July 9th sailing is $2098 for 2, but $2798 for 1(Verandah stateroom). Not getting my dollars. Hello Princess my old friend :D

I'm not doubting what you're saying just very unusual for me as I have never experiences anything beyond the 200% :o Not with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity at least.

I'm new to Princess so can't comment. =D

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

Definitely possible and I've experienced this bias. Singles are not eligible for most promotions. We can't get the 2:1 sales, for instance. If there were a 2:1 sale, a couple would pay only one cruise fare; a single would pay almost two cruise fares. A few years ago, there were several 2:1 promotions and I wasn't able to get any of them. The fine print always says: "Based on double occupancy."

Is this strictly on Princess? If so, WOW :eek:

Definitely not the case with Royal Caribbean (predominantly who I sailing with) or Celebrity.

RC has always given me whatever promos are happening as a single. Even though most of RC's promos are a sham :rolleyes:

I'm not doubting what you're saying just very unusual for me as I have never experiences anything beyond the 200% :o Not with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity at least.

I'm new to Princess so can't comment. =D

I understand. Seems a slap in the face for a single. I don't mind paying 200% but draw the line at being charged above. I've been sailing Celebrity since the 70's. Sort of lost my warm and fuzzy feelings for a cruise line I loved. Hopefully I can get over the impression that they don't want my "single" business at least on this cruise.

I understand. Seems a slap in the face for a single. I don't mind paying 200% but draw the line at being charged above. I've been sailing Celebrity since the 70's. Sort of lost my warm and fuzzy feelings for a cruise line I loved. Hopefully I can get over the impression that they don't want my "single" business at least on this cruise.

I agree with you. Really is a slap in the face.

What happens if you book 2 persons in your cabin, get all the perks,

and One person has to "cancel"?

Like they got sick, or missed their plane, or any other reason?

You now have your cabin solo, with perks.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Your going to be alone. But the other person has to pay for the cruise if he or she missed their plane or got sick.

Tony

Your going to be alone. But the other person has to pay for the cruise if he or she missed their plane or got sick.

Tony

Im fairly sure the post was about deliberately booking for 2 people,knowing full well that 2nd person was not going to cruise.Like oh sorry 2nd person is very ill and couldn't cruise.So what are they going to do about that.I actually wonder when cruise lines are going to wake up to the fact that there are many single cruisers,their solution at the moment seems to be,3/4 berth cabins.IE pack as many of your friends in,just smacks of P&NO to me.If your single you must surely like cruising with heaps of your so-called friends.Um sorry No,Not,Ever.:)

Edited by mrs and mrs

The new HAL Koningsdam has 12 OV single cabins. Some on the HAL board are concerned that they appear to be placed in less-desirable areas of the ship, perhaps in places where a standard cabin wouldn't fit. Time will tell.

I just got off Koningsdam earlier this week. As with every other recent ship that's introduced a solo category, I ended up booking a regular inside as even at double the per-person rate, it was far cheaper than their OV singles. On NCL and RCL -- where I've paid 25-50% supplements for regular-sized cabins with already bottomed-out rates (and, in RCL's case, still got double points) -- their solo cabins weren't even a consideration. While I like the concept, I have yet to see any that were fairly priced in relation to the size and type of room you were getting -- and isn't that the whole point?

On Princess, I've sailed a half-dozen times and always paid 200% (with one set of taxes and daily charges). Personally, I've seen single supplements as low as 60% on their website (insides only), but have never booked these; does paying less than double affect your double credit status?

The best deal I ever got with Princess was booking a cheap five-day Caribbean cruise on their website, where the OBC was almost as much as the per-person price... and actually doubled when booked as a single! I knew the promo was per person and not per cabin, but I was sure the system would never do something as fair as rewarding you twice for paying twice. :)

Edited by cityguy300

Im fairly sure the post was about deliberately booking for 2 people,knowing full well that 2nd person was not going to cruise.Like oh sorry 2nd person is very ill and couldn't cruise.So what are they going to do about that.I actually wonder when cruise lines are going to wake up to the fact that there are many single cruisers,their solution at the moment seems to be,3/4 berth cabins.IE pack as many of your friends in,just smacks of P&NO to me.If your single you must surely like cruising with heaps of your so-called friends.Um sorry No,Not,Ever.:)

In doing so, you're still paying the 200% (which is fine since we're paying it anyway) however then you're paying the taxes also. But then when you cancel the second person you'll get that refunded. :eek:

When this happens, the person who cancels would be refunded if they had travel insurance and it falls under a covered reason for cancellation. If not, they would have to pay for the cruise.

The remaining passenger will be re-fared at the single rate. I believe this is covered in the cruise contract. Since I have traveled with a friend many times, I always look for the clause in my travel insurance that states they cover additional charges incurred when a traveling companion cancels.

Slice I posted I did a bit of research and it seems re - faring sometimes happens and sometimes not. Not sure why but I sure would not like it happening to me, thus travel insurance.