Koningsdam Christening Cruise - An Inside Cabin Perspective

Btimmer

Today we visited Sintra on a private Pirates of the Cruise Ships tour. The wealthy person's estate was amazing.

They passed out invitations to the christening events today and one had to choose from the champaign breaking off the ship and the bell blessing in the Lido Pool area and watching on a live feed from one of the lounges. We opted to stand in the Lido.

We took a tour of the outside stateroom across from us and it definitely has more room. We face those occupants a tour of ours and they felt claustrophobic. But it's working for us.

My daily blog is updated through yesterday at http://timmer2016europe.blogger.com. It will contain our entire trip as its more than just this cruise.

BTW, don't put anything perishable in the room safe as it gets quite warm in there being above the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Edited by Btimmer

We've been at sea for a day and are now in Cherbourg, France. The sea day was full of Mariner Activities plus a high energy show by Mario D'Andrea. It was one of the best so far. Plus we had a major dolphin sighting while doing the charity walk.

Today we're going to the undersea museum near the ship.

I'll upload 2 more days details to the blog.

Tomorrow will be a big day!

Tim in Burien, WA

Edited by Btimmer

If you are ever in Cherbourg, be sure to visit the La Cité De La Mer with a trio of major exhibitions: Le Redoubtable (France's first nuclear submarine, Titanic, Acquarium, and On a Marché Sous La Mer (a Disney type experience). We spent most of the day there.

We sail in an hour for Le Havre.

Here's a few pictures from Cherbourg:

b1e57189ad46120204ad40277562e79c.jpg

c26e96bda85bf0125635c5ae4b250261.jpg

4ffcdd405e6f6482d973aa467ab55bfd.jpg

The Glocalme device is working well for cell data connection as the port WIFI is super slow.

Tim in Burien, WA

The Koningsdam's stop in LaHavre tomorrow has been cancelled due to a French general strike that is blocking all roads out of the city. So we are overnighting in Cherbourg. HAL has put together 3 new excursions.

Tim in Burien, WA

Edited by Btimmer

Today we visited Sintra on a private Pirates of the Cruise Ships tour. The wealthy person's estate was amazing.

They passed out invitations to the christening events today and one had to choose from the champaign breaking off the ship and the bell blessing in the Lido Pool area and watching on a live feed from one of the lounges. We opted to stand in the Lido.

We took a tour of the outside stateroom across from us and it definitely has more room. We face those occupants a tour of ours and they felt claustrophobic. But it's working for us.

My daily blog is updated through yesterday at http://timmer2016europe.blogger.com. It will contain our entire trip as its more than just this cruise.

BTW, don't put anything perishable in the room safe as it gets quite warm in there being above the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

The blessing of the bell on HAL hips is so special and seems to mean a lot to the sailors on board. I t wasw thrilling ffor us.[/

We're sailing up the river (canal) to our berth in Rotterdam. We're slightly ahead if the day's scheduled arrival. Pictures to follow later. We're taking a HAL tour to Gouda this afternoon.

I disembarked the ship with the Master and asked him if that was the farthest he had backed the ship up to dock it. He said 'Yes'. It was about 2 kilometers. We also toured the New York Hotel (former HAL headquarters).

I'll put more detail in my daily blog.

Tim in Burien, WA

Edited by Btimmer

HE[bbLESSING OF hal'S BELLS IS USUALLY DONE BY mARINERS. hulIDN'TNtHE qUEENTOSS GTHE CHAMPAGNto the hull? That is what is more customary for ther Godmothe[/b]

The Queen pulled a cord that released the bottle of champaign to break against the hull.

There was no cruise log distributed last night. We did receive a nice placemat size placard which we are going to have laminated. I'll post a picture later as we are about to board a canal boat in Amsterdam.

BTW, all but 4 rooms guests departed today in Amsterdam. There appears to be quite a turnover.

Tim in Burien, WA

bottle of champaign to break against the hull.

[quote[b There youg o. a more like it. Of, ourse, the Godmogther releases thechasmpabnrddeto hit th hulDid no Mariners pargticipathe bell?e in gthe blessing of t That useddc gtto g be a lovely HAL tradition and the crew seemed o really like it.

I've updated my blog through Amsterdam and will be starting a new CC thread to cover the Viking Sagas portion of our trip. The blog address will remain the same at http://www.timmer2016europe.blogspot.com

In summary we really like the ship. It travels smooth and we've found the same degree of friendly service. Our only real complaint is the lack of bow and stern cameras which are especially helpful for inside staterooms, but that will be fixed shortly.