Jade cancellation - Please help me think through this

abbyar

In short:

Jade sailing President's Week canceled - offer was for Epic from Port Canaveral or another sailing out of New Orleans. We can't get to NOLA (and I've sailed out of there and hated it) so I opted for the Epic, however I was told only the H5/H6 are available for moving to - and they both only sleep 2-3. We have two little ones sailing with us (ages 6&8), so they offered us 2 balconies. I'm not ok with 2 balconies - the whole reason we paid for a suite is so we could sail in a suite.

What should we do? Cancel? The pricing 7 months out vs when we booked (March 2015) is totally wacked - of course prices are significantly higher for just this coming winter. So very upset with NCL. After going back and forth for over an hour they took my number and said they'd get back to me. I have a feeling I'll wait until the 25th and they'll just cancel my reservation.

Edited by abbyar

We were booked on the March 19 cruise on the Jade. We were informed this was cancelled due to a charter. This is the third time this has happened to us. The offered replacement cruise is in January which we find to be a little cooler weather. This along with the rising fares is turning us away from cruising for a while. All I can say is aloha.

Has anyone talked to them about existing amenities? We are/were booked on the 2/5/17 date. We were booked in a forward suite and had service charges, drinks, dining and $300 OBC included. Are they guaranteeing everything or just the fare?

Has anyone talked to them about existing amenities? We are/were booked on the 2/5/17 date. We were booked in a forward suite and had service charges, drinks, dining and $300 OBC included. Are they guaranteeing everything or just the fare?

Here's the tread with the letter sent out by NCL. If you haven't received your letter yet, you should soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354865

Here's the tread with the letter sent out by NCL. If you haven't received your letter yet, you should soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354865

I received the letter and was asking if anyone has information about quaranteeing amenities. The letter says nothing about amenities, thus the question.

I received the letter and was asking if anyone has information about quaranteeing amenities. The letter says nothing about amenities, thus the question.

I received that exact same letter several weeks ago for our Escape sailing that was cancelled in November. We had a lot of amenities and everything was transferred to the sailing we chose.

Good luck with everything, it is such a pain to try to get everything sorted out. I do think it's interesting that in your letter they offered $75 OBC. They only gave us $50. Either amount is a joke considering the hassle.

Again, I hope everything works out for you!

We can't get to NOLA (and I've sailed out of there and hated it).

Not to sidetrack your question... but what did you hate about sailing out of New Orleans? I'm cruising out of there in November, and couldn't be more excited about the port of departure. Is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks!

When I spoke to them yesterday, I was told ALL my amenities would transfer. I have everything as stated above. I booked originally in March of 2015.

I have a 2 bedroom with 5 people. I was told the cruises were not loaded in their system yet and to try early next week. I will probably call daily if my personal schedule allows and hope for the best.

I'm not opposed to going to social media if they will not honor their letter

I did find out that all amenities will carry over to the new booking so long as it is one of their options.

What irks the hell out of me is that there are sailings on the Jade after their charter bookings yet they will not allow me to book one of those with the same price and maintain my amenities. Since I live just south of Tampa I wanted to stay with that option. But, no, I have to either drive over to Port Canaveral, for the Epic, with crappy intineraries or buy airfare to New Orleans.

As a long time NCL cruiser, it saddens me to say that it might be time to look at other cruise line options. These charters, that mess with a lot of peoples lives, are happening much more frequently. That, and I believe FDR has his eye on a totally new clientele.

None of the NCL-proposed options come even close to the itinerary/suite we had for 3/19/1017.

So we booked a 10-day Royal Princess So. Caribbean cruise out of Miami. Great itinerary on a beautiful ship. Even better, the Owner's Suite was $3000 less!! And we ended up with $560 OBC and 2 massages.

That'll cover the NCL perks and then some.

I was also on the 3/19/17 Jade cruise that was cancelled. I spent several calls with my travel agent and NCL, because I wasn't happy with the choice they made for us. I kept getting mixed messages from NCL.

At my travel agent's advice I sent an email to NCL's guest relations. Two days later I had a supervisor from NCL call me, she said should would help out how she could, but was pretty vague. She gave me her name and extension and told me to have my travel agent request her. Well, the wonderful customer service rep would not transfer my agent to the supervisor, so I called her directly and left her a not so nice voicemail. I wasn't mean but told her I felt like I was getting the run around and was not happy about it. She called back in ten minutes, was on hold to my travel agent and asked what I wanted, so I told her. At first she said she couldn't do what I want, but then 2 minuets later said that she would do it. So I transferred to another cruise (not the one they picked), kept my promotions and she price matched to what I paid.

So, my advice is know what you want, and be reasonable about it. Be persistent, firm, but not nasty. E-mail if you can, they do pay attention to them. Best of luck!

When I spoke to them yesterday, I was told ALL my amenities would transfer. I have everything as stated above. I booked originally in March of 2015.

I have a 2 bedroom with 5 people. I was told the cruises were not loaded in their system yet and to try early next week. I will probably call daily if my personal schedule allows and hope for the best.

I'm not opposed to going to social media if they will not honor their letter

By posting here you have already gone to social media.

As a long time NCL cruiser, it saddens me to say that it might be time to look at other cruise line options. These charters, that mess with a lot of peoples lives, are happening much more frequently.

While I can understand your frustration, that claim is simply not true. Yes, NCL had recently a lot of cancellations because of their big revamp of itineraries but those weren't because of charters.

On the opposite, NCL got their s**t together already few years ago when they designated Pearl to be the primary ship for music charters. After that the cancellations caused by charters have been few and far between - at least not any more frequent than on other cruise lines. What happened now on Jade is an anomaly caused by Pearl's drydock.

What you said about FDR's apparent goals (that I already removed from the quote), I wholeheartedly agree with - we too have moved on (at least for now).

Edited by Demonyte

I did find out that all amenities will carry over to the new booking so long as it is one of their options.

What irks the hell out of me is that there are sailings on the Jade after their charter bookings yet they will not allow me to book one of those with the same price and maintain my amenities. Since I live just south of Tampa I wanted to stay with that option. But, no, I have to either drive over to Port Canaveral, for the Epic, with crappy intineraries or buy airfare to New Orleans.

As a long time NCL cruiser, it saddens me to say that it might be time to look at other cruise line options. These charters, that mess with a lot of peoples lives, are happening much more frequently. That, and I believe FDR has his eye on a totally new clientele.

Try Celebrity. We are very pleased with them and have been on most of the cruise lines that serve the US, so we can compare.

Not to sidetrack your question... but what did you hate about sailing out of New Orleans? Thanks!

It's primarily distance - we are in the northeast, so much more difficult to get to than FL. Secondly, it stinks. NOLA is marshland, and the first day sailing out and last day sailing in are not pleasant. And 3rd, the airport and transit are not enjoyable to me. I've spent enough time there for work purposes that traveling through to a cruise is not a fun introduction to the vacation.

I mentioned on another thread, as an end result I'm happy with what we ended up with - H6 for dh and I and IR for kids on Epic. I doubt they will sleep in the IR but it will give us the storage space that will be lacking for 4 in the H6. It took a lot of time and patience but we are in a vacation that works for us.

Now....if you can get your butler to take your kids to Splash Academy life will be good....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ha ha ha. And then there that marshy nastiness called New Orleans. How dare they have that climate! I am going to ask my butler to deal with that too when he's not too busy standing in line for me.