Best way to check E-Mail

Labador93

If all you're going to do is check email, you can buy just a small number of wifi minutes on the ship. Log on, download you mail, and sign out quickly. You can read the mail off line. In port, if you can't find free wifi, be sure to check your carrier's data rates for each country first or see if they have an international plan you can sign up for. And many bars, restaurants have wifi and will give you the password if you have purchased something from them.

I am going on the Getaway and was wondering what would be the best way to get email on the ship. Would it be better to buy minutes on the ship or can I use my phone's service while in port?

And let me add...in addition to my previous posting...be sure to have your phone's data off (or data off while roaming) selected in settings as soon as you sail away from domestic phone coverage area, usually about 5 miles out to sea from Miami. To have your data downloading when out of domestic coverage, unless you sign up for a specific plan first, can cost a fortune...in the hundreds of dollars.

If you can wait until land, there are always plenty of places with free wifi at ports.

Although true, you may find that around the ports, the crew are taking advantage of the free wifi, making it slow to useless.

Although true, you may find that around the ports, the crew are taking advantage of the free wifi, making it slow to useless.

Really? That has never been my experience anywhere. Funny how these things can vary. :rolleyes:

I agree that you can always wander around and find free wifi in ports (look for large groups of people mulling around, or ask a crew member from any cruise line). But it's always painfully slow. It's easier to me to go to a bar and buy a drink. Even a bottle of water or a Coke will do. They'll be happy to input or give you the wi-fi password.

Really? That has never been my experience anywhere. Funny how these things can vary. :rolleyes:

Yup. They have to pay for internet access on board.....would be nice if they got free access outside of peak hours eg overnight. They all know where to get free wifi on land.

I am happy to get "free" WiFi at a port. All it costs is a coffee or a beer; well worth it especially if you find a small place. Starbucks etc always have it but everyone knows and it can be very slow.

Ask a local is often as good as asking a crew member.

Mike

Yup. They have to pay for internet access on board.....would be nice if they got free access outside of peak hours eg overnight. They all know where to get free wifi on land.

I know they do. I usually ask them where the best spots are.