Disembarkation In Vancouver - Warning

We were one of three ships in port yesterday and had a nice disembarkation as our ship arrived first and our disembarkation was early because the ship was going into dry dock.

We had a private transfer.

The driver told us that a few days earlier when three large ships were in port that there were massive lines for taxis and some people were waiting three hours for a taxi.

So consider making other arrangements if you are flying home that day to include a private transfer, using the ships bus transfers or taking the sky train.

Keith

We were one of three ships in port yesterday and had a nice disembarkation as our ship arrived first and our disembarkation was early because the ship was going into dry dock.

Keith... can you share....

• what time did your ship dock?
  • what time did you walk off the ship?
  • what time were you in your vehicle?
  • where did you board your private transfer?

The driver told us that a few days earlier when three large ships were in port that there were massive lines for taxis and some people were waiting three hours for a taxi.

So consider making other arrangements if you are flying home that day to include a private transfer, using the ships bus transfers or taking the sky train.

Keith

Yes, there have been many threads and posts re this topic over the past few day. I believe that there are 5 or 6 more days this month when there are 3 cruise ships at Canada Place. I would expect that there will be lines for taxis on those days but I would be surprised it they are anywhere as long as they were last weekend. Then when we get over this ship repositioning month things will certainly settle down.

While an expensive option, people can reserve a limo service and a good one is Aerocar.

http://aerocar.ca/

Aerocar= maybe about double the rate of taking a taxi from the airport to Westin Bayshore? I didn't see rates from cruise terminal TO airport. (maybe I didn't look carefully enough) I assume they'd be same.

Keith... can you share....

• what time did your ship dock?
  • what time did you walk off the ship?
  • what time were you in your vehicle?
  • where did you board your private transfer?

We were off much earlier than usual. This is because the ship we were on was going in to a dry dock so the goal was to have everyone off by 9:00 AM. If we had not arrived earlier than the other two ships and all converged at once it might have been like the other day.

We walked off the ship at 7:45 AM.

We were in our vehicle about 7:55 AM.

I wasn't watching but they told me that the private transfers are done in another part of the terminal. Sorry I can't remember where.

Keith

Yes, there have been many threads and posts re this topic over the past few day. I believe that there are 5 or 6 more days this month when there are 3 cruise ships at Canada Place. I would expect that there will be lines for taxis on those days but I would be surprised it they are anywhere as long as they were last weekend. Then when we get over this ship repositioning month things will certainly settle down.

While an expensive option, people can reserve a limo service and a good one is Aerocar.

http://aerocar.ca/

I haven't looked at all the months but I know that when I board our ship on August 6 that the two other ships that were there yesterday will be there so three ships disembarking will likely be challenging for those wanting taxis.

The key is that even if it is a few times of the month if someone is on those days it can be very challenging.

Keith

Skytrain, 3 minute walk from the front of Canada Place, $4/ea to YVR in 25 minutes.

It's often argued that a taxi is faster, but unless you do it on a Sunday morning at 0630, I kind of doubt it, and with a lot of ships in port (and a taxi shortage), it really is the way to go.

Of course there will always be people who think that public transport is evil, but in this case, it really isn't.

Skytrain, 3 minute walk from the front of Canada Place, $4/ea to YVR in 25 minutes.

It's often argued that a taxi is faster, but unless you do it on a Sunday morning at 0630, I kind of doubt it, and with a lot of ships in port (and a taxi shortage), it really is the way to go.

Of course there will always be people who think that public transport is evil, but in this case, it really isn't.

I would also do Skytrain over Taxi if those were my two options.

In our case we did have a private transfer.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...