Hawaii Cruise from Los Angeles Television Reception

Shawski

We are thinking about booking a cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii but are concerned about all of the sea days. I am fine with just relaxing, reading a book, going to lectures, etc. However, I think that DH would have a problem if there was no TV. What is the reception like when out there in the Pacific? Is there any reception at all?

Thanks

Generally, the cruise lines get their TV from satellites, and it is a very limited selection of channels, mostly news and sports. If you ask on the board for the cruise line you are sailing on, you can get their standard channel line up.

You won't be watching your favorite local news, or weekly TV series, in most cases.

As long as he gets CNBC he will be a happy camper.

No promises. Depends on the cruise line involved's TV line up. Many of the channels have international versions, like CNN and ESPN, which is common on the ships we sail.

Depends on the ship as well. If they have VOOM internet, that can easily stream video, so his choices online will be endless (assuming you have a tablet or something and aren't insistent on using the TV).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ship we are considering does have his favorite station. Just wondering, however, what is the satellite reception like? Are we likely to have reception between LA and Honolulu?

We did a Pacific crossing last spring. We lost all satellite reception for a day and had very, very spotty reception for a day or two while in the middle of the Pacific.

This affected the internet also.

We've done quite a few Hawaii cruises on several lines -- we've always experienced satellite loss in the Pacific. I understand that the satellites are aimed to cover population centers - there aren't many folks between the west coast and Hawaii.

I don't think there's much scenery in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

To each their own. I would rather sit on a cruise ship watching the ocean go by versus staring at some stupid TV any day of the week.

Maybe he'll want to enjoy the beautiful scenery instead of sitting inside watching TV.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That depends on how many pretty women there are to watch !!!

The ship we are considering does have his favorite station. Just wondering, however, what is the satellite reception like? Are we likely to have reception between LA and Honolulu?

We didn't lose reception when cruising RT LA - Hawaii on Princess. We did lose some reception a few times from Hawaii - Vancouver on RCCL. It depends on the ship.

I don't think there's much scenery in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

Sure there is. Whales and Dolphins depending on the time of year. :)

Edited by iluvcruzin

We've sailed this itinerary in 2012 and 2014. When we reached the point of no return, which is the half way point, I remember the t.v. reception being extremely limited to mostly, if not all, ship channels. This happened both times and it wasn't for more than a day or two as I remember. Things may have changed since we sailed, but I would definitely prep him for the possibility of not having CNBC for at least some period of time, especially it he depends on it for business. This is one of our favorite itineraries as we love sea days. Have a wonderful cruise!