Sidewalks in St. George's

Viva_la_Vida

I was virtually "walking" some of the roads I want to take from the ferry to the unfinished church. It seems like the roads are really narrow and don't have sidewalks. Specifically, Mullet Bay Rd. from the ferry Terminal into town and Government Hill Rd. to the Unfinished Church.

Are these roads the best ones to use and are there lots of walkers? Does it seem safe to walk with no sidewalks?

I was virtually "walking" some of the roads I want to take from the ferry to the unfinished church. It seems like the roads are really narrow and don't have sidewalks. Specifically, Mullet Bay Rd. from the ferry Terminal into town and Government Hill Rd. to the Unfinished Church.

Are these roads the best ones to use and are there lots of walkers? Does it seem safe to walk with no sidewalks?

You don't go on Mullet Bay Rd. That is the wrong direction. The ferry terminal is at Penno wharf. You go on Pennos Drive which is a loop off of Water Street. Take the section of the Penno Drive along the water front. It curves and intersects with Water Street. Water Street to the Town Square. The other side of the loop also intersects with Water Street. Make sure to go right on Water Street and not up a hill. Water Street is closed to traffic. From the ferry terminal to town square is very safe and walkable if you follow my directions and take Penno Drive along the waterfront to Water Street.

The part from town center to Government Hill Road and the Unfinished Church. Government Hill Road is narrow with no sidewalk. But the traffic is light and slow. Only some cars and mopeds infrequently.

a22d32225e84a47aa9dd5b98680046dc.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

What app did you use to virtual walk? I would like to do that for San Juan. Thanks!

Edited by 1bets1

If it wasn't some app, it could have been Google Earth.

I always fire up Google Earth for everywhere I go. It is great to go down to street level and do the walking and checking out the roads, buildings, and other scenery.

I always fire up Google Earth for everywhere I go. It is great to go down to street level and do the walking and checking out the roads, buildings, and other scenery.

It's fairly recent that Google got with it and arrived in Bermuda.:D

It's fairly recent that Google got with it and arrived in Bermuda.:D

Google Maps street names in St. George's have several errors. Surprise.....Apple Maps does better. For example Google maps says Mullet Bay Road, where it is named Wellington. Also Google Maps labels the road from Duke of York ( which Google Maps labels as "York" to the Unfinished Church as Government Hill. That is Duke of Kent Street. Government Hill is what the road becomes past the church to Coot Pond Road which Google Maps labels as Barry. I guess I will be using Apple Maps, not Google Maps.

Edited by Charles4515

Google Maps street names in St. George's have several errors. Surprise.....Apple Maps does better. For example Google maps says Mullet Bay Road, where it is named Wellington. Also Google Maps labels the road from Duke of York ( which Google Maps labels as "York" to the Unfinished Church as Government Hill. That is Duke of Kent Street. Government Hill is what the road becomes past the church to Coot Pond Road which Google Maps labels as Barry. I guess I will be using Apple Maps, not Google Maps.

This is cracking me up.......[emoji33][emoji849][emoji1]

Edited by Charles4515

I know nuttin' about Google or Apple maps, I just use the handy, dandy map from the Visitor's Center and don't really need that anymore.;):)

Lots of fun to "tour" around on Google Earth street view.

You don't go on Mullet Bay Rd. That is the wrong direction. The ferry terminal is at Penno wharf. You go on Pennos Drive which is a loop off of Water Street. Take the section of the Penno Drive along the water front. It curves and intersects with Water Street. Water Street to the Town Square. The other side of the loop also intersects with Water Street. Make sure to go right on Water Street and not up a hill. Water Street is closed to traffic. From the ferry terminal to town square is very safe and walkable if you follow my directions and take Penno Drive along the waterfront to Water Street.

The part from town center to Government Hill Road and the Unfinished Church. Government Hill Road is narrow with no sidewalk. But the traffic is light and slow. Only some cars and mopeds infrequently.

Very helpful, thank you!

Just google maps using the little orange guy :-) You drag him over to the street you want to see and can see all around you.

I hope it is better for San Juan than for St. George. Those streets are mislabeled. That is not Mullet Bay Rd. there. It is Wellington which turns into Duke of York. But you don't want to go that way. Google maps gives the wrong route. Do not go west from the ferry terminal like their routing shows!!! Go east from the terminal. Don't go west away from town.That is very important. GO EAST from the terminal, past the World Heritage Center, to Pennos Drive. And turn right on Water St. from Pennos Drive.

I was on cruise ships that docked at Pennos Wharf five or six times overnight before there was such a thing as Google Maps so I never looked at google maps before for that area. I used the pocket map put out by the Bermuda Tourist Authority to get around at first and then I knew without looking at a map. Now I know why some have posted here about getting lost and going a long way to town. They may have been using Google Maps.

Edited by Charles4515

Just google maps using the little orange guy :-) You drag him over to the street you want to see and can see all around you.

Not to change the subject, but would you post what side of the ship (Breakaway) was against the dock when you are there? Thanks!

Not to change the subject, but would you post what side of the ship (Breakaway) was against the dock when you are there? Thanks!

FYI, it's irrelevant what side the ship is docking on on any particular week, as it docks both ways, with one week being no predictor of the following week. It tends to dock port side to the pier more often than starboard side to the pier, but there's no way to predict how it will dock on any particular cruise.

I've actually seen a ship or two change during its stay. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

FYI, it's irrelevant what side the ship is docking on on any particular week, as it docks both ways, with one week being no predictor of the following week. It tends to dock port side to the pier more often than starboard side to the pier, but there's no way to predict how it will dock on any particular cruise.

I've actually seen a ship or two change during its stay. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I'm doing a class project and I'm gathering information. But thanks for your input....... I am aware that it docks both ways.

I'm doing a class project and I'm gathering information. But thanks for your input....... I am aware that it docks both ways.

I that case, you can check portbermudswebcam.com on any day you wish to see how the ships are docked.

I hope it is better for San Juan than for St. George. Those streets are mislabeled. That is not Mullet Bay Rd. there. It is Wellington which turns into Duke of York. But you don't want to go that way. Google maps gives the wrong route. Do not go west from the ferry terminal like their routing shows!!! Go east from the terminal. Don't go west away from town.That is very important. GO EAST from the terminal, past the World Heritage Center, to Pennos Drive. And turn right on Water St. from Pennos Drive.

I was on cruise ships that docked at Pennos Wharf five or six times overnight before there was such a thing as Google Maps so I never looked at google maps before for that area. I used the pocket map put out by the Bermuda Tourist Authority to get around at first and then I knew without looking at a map. Now I know why some have posted here about getting lost and going a long way to town. They may have been using Google Maps.

Good to know! I've noted the street name differences and will make sure to head east towards town! I am betting there will be many many others heading the same way as well.

I will try to remember and post it! I will be doing an extensive pic review and will have pics on the NCL board as well.