Don't even think of trying to share the Cheers program with another cabin...

People book parents separately all the time and then switch so the kids share a room. I agree that the package shouldn't be shared, but I see nothing wrong with booking this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Isn't this irrelevant? The poster was talking about "their" experience as adults trying to break the rule, and was relaying the fact is was such a hassle, and in the end, caused their group to be unhappy because they could not get the drinks, they so desired because they had to have another person get it for them.

Kid's do not need to purchase the package. Therefore, the the kids were not trying to save money on booze.

:D:D:D:D

If there is a 15 drink limit per day, what difference does it make if one person has 15 drinks or 15 people have 1 drink. If the limit is hit they stop you from getting more unless you pay separate. If there is no limit then I can understand.

This!

There's no need to force everyone in the cabin to purchase with a drink limit.

This!

There's no need to force everyone in the cabin to purchase with a drink limit.

No, The sharing of drinks is exactly why they do force everyone in the cabin to purchase.

Other cruise lines treat their customers like adults and do not have this silly policy of making all adults in a room purchase drinks packages. Time to get with it Carnival. Until they do though, just follow the darn policy instead of trying to get around it. Maybe that is at least partially why Carnival has the silly policy in place.

Carnival would sell a lot more of these if they would make it available to just the person that drinks. My wife hardly drinks anything, so why would I want to buy the package for her??? Not going to, so I don't buy it at all. Otherwise I would buy it for myself.

They are the ones with the marketing info, not us, but while you may purchase one package how many passengers that now buy two would only buy one if it were offered? Probably a great many of them because they would share the one package. Yes, other cruise lines do allow passengers to buy only one package but those lines do not depend as much on bar sales for a profit.

I'm confused: this says there is a FIVE minute wait. Why is she waiting an hour?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

I don't know. Like I said I have never gotten it. But she stood there in the pool for a long time holding a glass.... And now that I think about it, maybe the lady that wanted a coke was mad because she could not get a coke at the same time as an alcoholic drink. Sorry I did not mean to mislead but I know I talked to 2 unhappy people one day. Sea days should be no stress!

Other cruise lines treat their customers like adults and do not have this silly policy of making all adults in a room purchase drinks packages. Time to get with it Carnival. Until they do though, just follow the darn policy instead of trying to get around it. Maybe that is at least partially why Carnival has the silly policy in place.

Other cruise lines do not rely as heavily on bar sales for a profit. From what I've read on this very forum there is a large segment of CCL passengers who would do most anything to save on their bar bill, so it's within the realm of probabilty that they would share one drink package even though it's against the rules.

No, The sharing of drinks is exactly why they do force everyone in the cabin to purchase.

Why does it matter if I share my drinks with someone? On my first cruise, I bought drink tickets... and then shared them with everyone. When they ran out, that was it... no more drinks. Why does it matter if I share my drinks if I've paid for them?

If the drinks were unlimited, then sure make everyone purchase the package. But there's only 15 drinks allowed. It shouldn't matter who drinks them.

Why does it matter if I share my drinks with someone? On my first cruise, I bought drink tickets... and then shared them with everyone. When they ran out, that was it... no more drinks. Why does it matter if I share my drinks if I've paid for them?

If the drinks were unlimited, then sure make everyone purchase the package. But there's only 15 drinks allowed. It shouldn't matter who drinks them.

Whether it matters or not is largely irrelevent- it's their ball and their rules. I am sure that they have considered all of the arguments pro and con since Cheers came along so they feel that they have a valid reason for both the 15 drink limit and requiring all adults in the same cabin to purchase the plan so it's something that is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Whether it matters or not is largely irrelevent- it's their ball and their rules. I am sure that they have considered all of the arguments pro and con since Cheers came along so they feel that they have a valid reason for both the 15 drink limit and requiring all adults in the same cabin to purchase the plan so it's something that is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

It is relevant to the discussion and I certainly never suggested that people go around the rules. :)

Customers are not happy with the current package and the only way to get change is to lodge complains and suggestions. Successful companies DO listen to their customers and Carnival has in the past proven that they at least listen and attempt to find a solution that works for everyone.

Discussing it here allows for people to consider all angles and potentially we might all learn something.

I wish Carnival had a "Cheers Lite" program and for let's say, $29.99 you have up to 7 drinks on your card. I would buy that and Carnival would make more money per drink than the 15 drinks for $49.99 (if purchased before getting on board:D)

I wish Carnival had a "Cheers Lite" program and for let's say, $29.99 you have up to 7 drinks on your card. I would buy that and Carnival would make more money per drink than the 15 drinks for $49.99 (if purchased before getting on board:D)

That's a great idea! I would purchase that every time!

It is relevant to the discussion and I certainly never suggested that people go around the rules. :)

Customers are not happy with the current package and the only way to get change is to lodge complains and suggestions. Successful companies DO listen to their customers and Carnival has in the past proven that they at least listen and attempt to find a solution that works for everyone.

Discussing it here allows for people to consider all angles and potentially we might all learn something.

I never said that you suggested people would go around the rules but CCL has some experience with people going around their rules and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that experience is largely responsible for the rules that exist. Yes, a good company listens but when the customers are just saying the same thing that has already been said and considered it's unlikely that the policy will change.

I would not bet that things might not change... It is obvious that sales of the cheers program are down (perhaps not on the 3-4 night party cruises but certainly on the 7+ nights). Proof of there being low demand comes from discussions with hotel department, bartenders etc AND the fact that CCL "expanded" the program to include coffee, shakes, Powerade, monster etc... Now we all KNOW they don't give anything g for free, it is obviously to increase the sales and give added "value" for the less drinking 2nd person in the cabin so they can justify having to purchase it for every adult in the cabin.

Now, if that does not boost the sales (after adding virtually EVERY drink on the ship) then another possible step would be to drop the everyone in the cabin rule. Which, I can possibly see them doing for the 7+ days cruises but perhaps keeping on the shorter cruises where the profit margins are tighter (cause we all know most people can keep up the drinking pace for at least 3-4 days but 7 days it gets harder to reach the break even point).

For me, purchasing or not depends some on who I am cruising with (with friends etc who hang at the bars yes, family with the kids, no) and the itinerary (port heavy cruises I find do not justify purchase)... But a drink card type scenario or pre-pay discounted for drinks would be perfect for my uses...

If they had thought of it beforehand, they should have arranged the rooms so "officially" the guys were in the same cabin and then switch in reality.

This. Im the only one that will get my money's worth in our group so I book with the kids in my room. Perhaps I drink too much when Im on vacation, but I find the cheers program to be a great value. Now that milkshakes, higher end liquors and powerade are included, Im definitely sold on cheers. I see it as final bill insurance.

Edited by gfountain1

Carnival is gouging plain and simple, because they can, forcing everyone in cabin to buy it with a 15 drink limit it shouldn't be necessary.

Price gouging generally involves jacking prices on necessities during a time of crisis. Hardly the idea here.

But yes, I agree that individuals should be able to purchase.

The 15 drink limit is an insurance thing so Carnival can defend charges of over serving.

If that were the case they would set a limit on all serving and not just with Cheers. It is based entirely on profits. The cut off at 15 is for them to still make money with the program. Unlimited would be unreasonable and unprofitable.

I do remember buying drink cards in the past (so many drinks for a flat fee -certain bars ran these specials and punched your card each time.) I don't remember if it was on Carnival or Royal, though.

The 15 drink limit is an insurance thing so Carnival can defend charges of over serving.

The insurance company is only concerned about people that buy packages though, those that pay by the drink can have has much as they want.

If that were the case they would set a limit on all serving and not just with Cheers. It is based entirely on profits. The cut off at 15 is for them to still make money with the program. Unlimited would be unreasonable and unprofitable.

Other Cruise lines don't place limits on the drink packages, I'm sure they are still making a profit.

I do remember buying drink cards in the past (so many drinks for a flat fee -certain bars ran these specials and punched your card each time.) I don't remember if it was on Carnival or Royal, though.

Don't know about others but Royal has been experimenting with a drink card like you describe. However it is not available for every ship or every sailing.

Other Cruise lines don't place limits on the drink packages, I'm sure they are still making a profit.

The post is referring to the idea that the limit is imposed as insurance against over drinking. I merely said that was not the reason for the limit. Nothing else.