Poor quality and service on Vista - new ship

Shurochk3a

I think one of the problems was the lack of sea days to really explore the ship and take advantage of different areas. I never once made it to the Havana area. I was looking forward to the new shows but was too tired by the end of dinner to stay awake!

The new ropes course is so difficult that both me and my niece had to be "rescued". The employees there even admitted it was a much more difficult design; even the easy course. I had no problems getting my middle age self around the hard course on Breeze but the Vista course was ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the short hours for the ropes and sky ride!

I would love to give it another shot but we can only take 1 vacation a year and next year is planned and it's not a cruise. We will have to hope for more sea days with Horizon in Europe or skip a port and play around the ship.

So, I would never sail a ship I was excited about in Europe. I've taken 2 European cruises on other lines; plane Jane ships (much cheaper) and barely remember the ships themselves. It's about the ports. When you spend that much money to get to Europe you should enjoy the ports to the fullest; it's a nice way to see Europe. I'm dying inside when I read reviews of people not getting off the ship in Europe! Not my cruise; but still!! I will be shocked if the Horizon does anything but the Med. The Baltics are more expensive on any line and I can't imagine how expensive on a new Carnival ship! Also, the smaller ships are the ones sailing the most and to unique ports in Europe. Recommend looking at MSC for different European ports; they have a huge variety. I look forward to the Vista in the Caribbean in June! We have a b2b booked. Though, I would consider the transatlantic on a new ship....a few European ports, few Caribbean ports and tons of time on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I was on the inaugural cruise and had a wonderful vacation. I did have some bad experiences including poor service in the main dining on the first night (got a $400 onboard credit for my next cruise for the poor service), the room attendant never once acknowledged me by name and service was not generally up to par for my liking, but got better each day of the cruise. I was a member of a facebook group and actually got chastised by the group for just voicing the horrible experience in the main dining room. No one wanted to hear anything bad and told me I should expect glitches. Well of course, I expected things to not be working correctly and I expected glitches, but I would never expect poor service and bad attitudes from staff. And that goes with any vacation I take (Cruise, All Inclusive, etc....). I did not let the bad experience ruin my vacation, but I did tell Carnival of my disappointment upon my return.

Sometimes on CC people are way to quick to judge, especially when someone post something negative; but walk a mile in the situation before you start hammering on people. I agree that perhaps if the OP would have added more detail more appropriate responses could have been made, but ask questions, don't slam people.

The most important thing to remember is to no let it ruin your vacation, relax and enjoy and have fun. I did!

I get your point. Here is my 2 cents. I spent 8 days on the Vista and anyone saying dirty hallways either was on a different ship or has an agenda. Period. It is pretty easy to cherry pic and CC (especially on Carnival threads) is ripe for one time posters to do just that. I urge others to draw their own conclusions. There are people who have been banned from here that come back under new ID's just to bash Carnival.....they think it's "brilliant"

I've seen a few people now mention dirty corridor carpets, including people who have been members for a while and had numerous sailings on Carnival. It wasn't something that stood out for me, though I would say the carpet they've chosen will definitely show it up. Its a big ship and I'm sure there is a lot of carpet to inspect before you can dismiss the claims.

From my personal POV, I did have a few niggles on my cruise on the 26th August, but on the whole it went far better than I was expecting. I certainly enjoyed it.

The only niggle they cant do anything about are the elevators, which I thought were poor and pretty much in the end used the stairs including getting to deck 10 from getting back on board from deck 0

I have done a review (not a thread) which hopefully will appear soon. As you might expect, the VAT thing is mentioned and its acknowledged I was one of the fortunate ones who had cheers honoured. I know several people seem to be dismissive of this issue (as "not Carnivals fault" - which is not entirely accurate) but the continued mis-managment of this, really is a huge issue that people need to be aware of so they can make an informed decision - 'cos Carnival sure as hell dont seem to want to tell you. The latest release, shows they still have got it wrong and it will hurt peoples pockets badly because of this.

Dirty carpets - not an issue. I may well have seen some stains - but its not something I'd be too worried about. I doubt I would sail on Carnival again, but that isnt down to the ship, which was better than I anticipated. (By that I mean concerns about getting on and off in ports - this is my first large ship.) I look forward to my next sailing back on my favorite ship the Silver Wind - which entire passenger count could fit in one of Vistas life boats! :p

Edited by les37b

I've seen a few people now mention dirty corridor carpets, including people who have been members for a while and had numerous sailings on Carnival. It wasn't something that stood out for me, though I would say the carpet they've chosen will definitely show it up. Its a big ship and I'm sure there is a lot of carpet to inspect before you can dismiss the claims.

From my personal POV, I did have a few niggles on my cruise on the 26th August, but on the whole it went far better than I was expecting. I certainly enjoyed it.

The only niggle they cant do anything about are the elevators, which I thought were poor and pretty much in the end used the stairs including getting to deck 10 from getting back on board from deck 0

I have done a review (not a thread) which hopefully will appear soon. As you might expect, the VAT thing is mentioned and its acknowledged I was one of the fortunate ones who had cheers honoured. I know several people seem to be dismissive of this issue (as "not Carnivals fault" - which is not entirely accurate) but the continued mis-managment of this, really is a huge issue that people need to be aware of so they can make an informed decision - 'cos Carnival sure as hell dont seem to want to tell you. The latest release, shows they still have got it wrong and it will hurt peoples pockets badly because of this.

Dirty carpets - not an issue. I may well have seen some stains - but its not something I'd be too worried about. I doubt I would sail on Carnival again, but that isnt down to the ship, which was better than I anticipated. (By that I mean concerns about getting on and off in ports - this is my first large ship.) I look forward to my next sailing back on my favorite ship the Silver Wind - which entire passenger count could fit in one of Vistas life boats! :p

Can't argue with you on any of this and agree on the elevators. The color of carpet they chose by the elevators could have been better but may have been made more from a longevity factor (don't know that either). Hope to get on a ship like Silver Wind some day.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't argue with you on any of this and agree on the elevators. The color of carpet they chose by the elevators could have been better but may have been made more from a longevity factor (don't know that either). Hope to get on a ship like Silver Wind some day.....

It didnt take us too long (especially the midship elevators) to work out that they were not worth the hassle. Disembarkation had its issues - from other passengers getting there first or lifts arriving full of luggage! There is no real solution for this issue apart from more lifts... Oh well! haha .... It is an issue - but not something in the slightest that would stop me booking again

Now as for Silver Wind....

You might be amazed to see the price comparison, which might put things into perspective.

The price in sterling I paid per person for our Balcony suite on Vista was approx £1250 for 8 days inc port taxes and gratuities. For cheers (and remember "we were lucky") it added a further £350 each So we are now up to £1600 The price of my Caribbean cruise next March on the Wind is £2205. Now that cruise is 10 days not 8, so you can add a further 25% to that price... So now up to £2000

You can see where I'm going with this! But it doesnt end there! Like getting to Europe for you is expensive (this trip wasnt so cheap for us this time as it goes!).. well from the UK to Peurto Rico and back from Miami, is not so cheap either. I priced the flights up with BA and they were £2500PP... Silversea were running a promotion where we could book those flights (and still on now) for £299

Onboard you would struggle to spend money... unlike on Vista!

Its crazy, but we have booked a 6* cruise where meals are "Captains table" every day and drinks are the real deal ... whatever you want... for less than Vista effectively cost is in Europe where we can get silly cheap air fares.

I fully appreciate, that "elegant" for some is a negative, but I know you will appreciate higher standards for less is unusual... and the airfares mentioned just it an incredible bargain.

Oh and I forgot.... They have also just upgrade our oceanview suite (which is much much bigger than what we had on Vista) to a mid ship veranda suite - a 2 cat upgrade - all part of a promotion and we've just been given it for free. (No upgrade fairy to ask for more money! lol)

I think our kids would be bored on the Wind - luckily we're not taking them! :D

Very poor quality ship. By far the worst Carnival experience combining with a amazing sites! Cheap, not low prices . From dirty walkways to the long lines at the breakfast buffet- Vista has a long way to go here. It is my 6 cruise on Carnival and by far the worst one. Need to get customer service back. I realized you are getting what you paying for, but it should not be as bad. Sorry , Carnival. Time to find another ways of vacationing.

Thanks for the review. I'll cancel my Vista booking. Maybe the Horizon will be better. ;)

Thanks for the review. I'll cancel my Vista booking. Maybe the Horizon will be better. ;)

Probably...... as hopefully they will have worked out how to apply VAT properly by then and they'll finally realise selling you a drinks package pre-cruise is a perfectly legal loophole to avoid your extra tax bill for consuming each and every drink charged singularly with 15% gratuities applied to each drink and an extra tax burden of up to 24% easily avoided. :p :p :p

Probably...... as hopefully they will have worked out how to apply VAT properly by then and they'll finally realise selling you a drinks package pre-cruise is a perfectly legal loophole to avoid your extra tax bill for consuming each and every drink charged singularly with 15% gratuities applied to each drink and an extra tax burden of up to 24% easily avoided. :p :p :p

No one understands how VAT works. No one. ;)

My suggestion: they could just let people bring on their own alcohol...But where is the fun or profit in that? :)

I get your point. Here is my 2 cents. I spent 8 days on the Vista and anyone saying dirty hallways either was on a different ship or has an agenda. Period. It is pretty easy to cherry pic and CC (especially on Carnival threads) is ripe for one time posters to do just that. I urge others to draw their own conclusions. There are people who have been banned from here that come back under new ID's just to bash Carnival.....they think it's "brilliant"

I love Carnival Cruise, and I can't wait to get on the Vista 78 days and 23 hours to go!!!

You are going to cancel your cruise because of one review? Wow, I believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet or if I see it on TV!!! Must be Gospel!!:eek:

I know you think she's a bit gullible, but it really isn't her that is! :D

You are going to cancel your cruise because of one review? Wow, I believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet or if I see it on TV!!! Must be Gospel!!:eek:

In case of conflicts, the one that is repeated the most is the most true, although so are all other accounts. Bonus points for whining.

Now as for Silver Wind....

You might be amazed to see the price comparison, which might put things into perspective.

The price in sterling I paid per person for our Balcony suite on Vista was approx £1250 for 8 days inc port taxes and gratuities. For cheers (and remember "we were lucky") it added a further £350 each So we are now up to £1600 The price of my Caribbean cruise next March on the Wind is £2205. Now that cruise is 10 days not 8, so you can add a further 25% to that price... So now up to £2000

You can see where I'm going with this! But it doesnt end there! Like getting to Europe for you is expensive (this trip wasnt so cheap for us this time as it goes!).. well from the UK to Peurto Rico and back from Miami, is not so cheap either. I priced the flights up with BA and they were £2500PP... Silversea were running a promotion where we could book those flights (and still on now) for £299

Onboard you would struggle to spend money... unlike on Vista!

Its crazy, but we have booked a 6* cruise where meals are "Captains table" every day and drinks are the real deal ... whatever you want... for less than Vista effectively cost is in Europe where we can get silly cheap air fares.

I fully appreciate, that "elegant" for some is a negative, but I know you will appreciate higher standards for less is unusual... and the airfares mentioned just it an incredible bargain.

Oh and I forgot.... They have also just upgrade our oceanview suite (which is much much bigger than what we had on Vista) to a mid ship veranda suite - a 2 cat upgrade - all part of a promotion and we've just been given it for free. (No upgrade fairy to ask for more money! lol)

I think our kids would be bored on the Wind - luckily we're not taking them! :D

Fantastic info! I think this way I will be able to try the Wind sooner than expected.....but as you said without kids..... ;);)

Fantastic info! I think this way I will be able to try the Wind sooner than expected.....but as you said without kids..... ;);)

I will be getting at least a couple of sample lunches next year on the Wind when she returns to London. I did this in June and August this year. A leisurely 5 hours of pampering eating and drinking for $60. And bearing in mind no food has been paid for in a ticket fare, it's incredible value and you will soon enjoy what quality and service is all about. Both times I had a 6 course meal and far too much to drink. Funnily I felt the effects of the alcohol on the Wind which is something that didn't happen once on the Vista. Fairly obvious why that is. And to think I spent as much for drinks with cheers as it cost for my proper drinks and outstanding meal.

Oh.... and no VAT added. No nickel and diming on Silversea. Gratuities included too. SS pay their staff properly.

If you know anyone who has travelled on SS, get them to invite you on when one of the ships are next in Barcelona. Another good thing... it will be docked by the World Trade Centre... so easy metro access. Same in all the ports too. In Livorno, just a 10 minute walk into the plaza. No need for shuttle buses! Little things make thinks so much more enjoyable.

Edited by les37b

apart from its lame thermal suite

Do you mind expanding on this? My wife and I are sailing on Vista Dec 3rd, and it's our first Carnival cruise. One of our favorite things about NCL/Princess is the thermal suite and are planning on buying a spa pass once on board (we have a normal balcony).

FWIW - the thermal suite on the Norwegian Escape is our favorite thus far.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Awesome are cruises always, Maam.

Thanks for your refreshing thoughts as they are actual/factual .

Cruise Critic used to be this way too.

Now so many Banners and Cookies.. Maybe the new owners need more revenues and not cruisers..eh.. Saying one thing and doing the other is not correct.

I never used faceUP.. as they Track you like even I see Cable television can tell which room in your abode your in.

Posting/telling it like is is most important , IMHO.

In anything when your paying hefty costs for a cruise etc.. in a service industry Great Service is not just a Plus it is a must. A Normalcy kinda like a G.C at par..

In the Cruises on ships Managers have to Train the Staffing .. A HotMan ( Hotel Manager ) is really Second in command behind the Captain (Master) of the Ship. Without trainingg the staff will do like unsupervised children..

Without training of Ship Staffing, they will just do things to get by and be paid well.

So yes it is the Cruise line who has to Training the HotMen/HotWomen well and they have to pass that training on down.:cool:

I was on the inaugural cruise and had a wonderful vacation. I did have some bad experiences including poor service in the main dining on the first night (got a $400 onboard credit for my next cruise for the poor service), the room attendant never once acknowledged me by name and service was not generally up to par for my liking, but got better each day of the cruise. I was a member of a facebook group and actually got chastised by the group for just voicing the horrible experience in the main dining room. No one wanted to hear anything bad and told me I should expect glitches. Well of course, I expected things to not be working correctly and I expected glitches, but I would never expect poor service and bad attitudes from staff. And that goes with any vacation I take (Cruise, All Inclusive, etc....). I did not let the bad experience ruin my vacation, but I did tell Carnival of my disappointment upon my return.

Sometimes on CC people are way to quick to judge, especially when someone post something negative; but walk a mile in the situation before you start hammering on people. I agree that perhaps if the OP would have added more detail more appropriate responses could have been made, but ask questions, don't slam people.

The most important thing to remember is to no let it ruin your vacation, relax and enjoy and have fun. I did!

Awesome are cruises always, Maam.

Thanks for your refreshing thoughts as they are actual/factual .

Cruise Critic used to be this way too.

Now so many Banners and Cookies.. Maybe the new owners need more revenues and not cruisers..eh.. Saying one thing and doing the other is not correct.

I never used faceUP.. as they Track you like even I see Cable television can tell which room in your abode your in.

Posting/telling it like is is most important , IMHO.

In anything when your paying hefty costs for a cruise etc.. in a service industry Great Service is not just a Plus it is a must. A Normalcy kinda like a G.C at par..

In the Cruises on ships Managers have to Train the Staffing .. A HotMan ( Hotel Manager ) is really Second in command behind the Captain (Master) of the Ship. Without trainingg the staff will do like unsupervised children..

Without training of Ship Staffing, they will just do things to get by and be paid well.

So yes it is the Cruise line who has to Training the HotMen/HotWomen well and they have to pass that training on down.:cool:

I love cruise critic. But, I would have to think twice about posting anything negative about a cruise. I have seen people become really defensive about it. To the original poster sorry to hear you were underwhelmed with your experience on the Vista

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Swood1969

I love cruise critic. But, I would have to think twice about posting anything negative about a cruise. I have seen people become really defensive about it. To the original poster sorry to hear you were underwhelmed with your experience on the Vista

Indeed. Some seem to think you've been criticising their child, who of course is in fact innocent too. On a side note, how many "members" that post on here are actually Carnival employees? The lengths that some go, I suspect its more than just the one I am 100% certain about.

On a side note, how many "members" that post on here are actually Carnival employees? The lengths that some go, I suspect its more than just the one I am 100% certain about.

I'm not casting aspersions, but judging by the tone of the OP I think you can put Carnival ex-employees into that category too! :rolleyes:

I'm not casting aspersions, but judging by the tone of the OP I think you can put Carnival ex-employees into that category too! :rolleyes:

I would think he'd have been on more than 6 Carnival cruises if he is a former employee.

Seems to me that anyone who dares to criticise Carnival automatically get labelled trolls by people who are then mostly trolling.

My only experience on a Carnival cruise went far better than anticipated. My big concerns were that I would be stitched up by their lack of knowledge on VAT implications are charges. Luckily I came out of that unscathed (one of the few!!) however their subsequent handling of their fraudulent overcharging by using higher rates than they are entitled to and refusal to hand money they've taken back will always get my vocal criticism.

And no I don't work for any cruise line or any industry connected with cruising. If I did and had a beef, I would spell out the issues and not nit pick with the things the OP has. His grievances should legit to me even if I didn't share his misfortunes.

Edited by les37b

The VAT fiasco will certainly make us buy a lot fewer drinks than we may have. We were never going to go for the Cheers programme, but now we're actively going to watch what we're spending. A drop in the ocean (pun intended) but Carnival's loss nonetheless.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The VAT fiasco will certainly make us buy a lot fewer drinks than we may have. We were never going to go for the Cheers programme, but now we're actively going to watch what we're spending. A drop in the ocean (pun intended) but Carnival's loss nonetheless.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

With you embarking in Athens, there is a duty free shop after security. It looked like it had been looted when we went in, people were clearing the shelves of spirits and wine as fast as the staff could re stock them. There were no checks when boarding. In fact we went back ashore and bought some more.

Had the lowest bar bill ever on a cruise :rolleyes: