Food quality on the Jewel?

kdzkatz

I know food is very subjective but I am wondering if there is anyone that has cruised on the Jewel last year and then again recently?

In May 2014 we were on the Jewel and we thought the food was incredible. Then last year (May 2015) we thought it was good but not nearly as good as the year before. The UDP was in full swing last year and we wonder if that was the culprit in the downturn in overall quality.

I have read that on other ships cruisers have noticed the overall food quality has improved since last year and I am hoping to get some opinions to that effect from the Jewel as we will be cruising on here for the 4th May in 4 years.

I'm sure we will enjoy the food but hopeful it returns to the level we experienced in 2014. :D:D

I think it all hinges on who the head chef is on board.

Actually, it hinges on the bean counters at corporate who are constantly looking at cutting corners to save a nickel and a dime. Anyone who has cruised for 10+ years has clearly seen the food quality and diversity dropping year after year.

Can't speak for the way it used to be, but I just got off the Jewel a few days ago, and the food in the Specialty Restaurants is consistently terrific, except that the chimichurri sauce in Moderno was WAAAAAAAY too salty. Le Bistro (mushroom soup, pork tenderloin) was outstanding, the steak at Cagney's was terrific (although I will never again try the truffle fries...truffle oil is an abomination!), Teppanyaki was loud but tasty (and they ran out of scallops, so they substituted lobster!). Even the old complaints I had about Moderno (they tend to bring around a LOT of sausage, but not so much lamb and beef) were quashed: I had a fantastic waiter (Srdan: I used a hero card on him!) who made sure that I got everything I wanted when I wanted it (basically by telling the gauch-wheteverthey'recalled to "please bring some sirloin for the gentleman" or "no, no more sausages...bring the pineapple next!").

The MDR was acceptable the two times I ate there. I was in a suite, so I had access to Moderno for breakfast and lunch, when not in port, so I didn't get to the MDR or buffets often. Disembarkation morning buffet for breakfast was good, but I stuck primarily to pastries and coffee.

O'Sheehan's I liked quite a bit. The pot pie, mozzarella sticks, etc. were rather good, and I did enjoy my one breakfast there (corned beef hash and eggs). Great bartender there (Antony), too.

Texsylvanian once again you are extremely helpful! Thank you so much for all the great info you have provided on a few different threads. :D

roger001 I know this is a tough question I have asked as food is so subjective. I will take all opinions with a grain of salt (of course bad pun intended) ;):rolleyes::p:o

I think it all hinges on who the head chef is on board.

Are there any head chefs you would like to see running the show on your cruise? Any you would be not thrilled to see?

Edited by kdzkatz

Can't speak for the way it used to be, but I just got off the Jewel a few days ago, and the food in the Specialty Restaurants is consistently terrific, except that the chimichurri sauce in Moderno was WAAAAAAAY too salty. Le Bistro (mushroom soup, pork tenderloin) was outstanding, the steak at Cagney's was terrific (although I will never again try the truffle fries...truffle oil is an abomination!), Teppanyaki was loud but tasty (and they ran out of scallops, so they substituted lobster!). Even the old complaints I had about Moderno (they tend to bring around a LOT of sausage, but not so much lamb and beef) were quashed: I had a fantastic waiter (Srdan: I used a hero card on him!) who made sure that I got everything I wanted when I wanted it (basically by telling the gauch-wheteverthey'recalled to "please bring some sirloin for the gentleman" or "no, no more sausages...bring the pineapple next!").

The MDR was acceptable the two times I ate there. I was in a suite, so I had access to Moderno for breakfast and lunch, when not in port, so I didn't get to the MDR or buffets often. Disembarkation morning buffet for breakfast was good, but I stuck primarily to pastries and coffee.

O'Sheehan's I liked quite a bit. The pot pie, mozzarella sticks, etc. were rather good, and I did enjoy my one breakfast there (corned beef hash and eggs). Great bartender there (Antony), too.

Thanks, this is very helpful! Looking forward to hash and eggs in O'Sheehan's. I'm glad to know Moderno stopped the mostly sausage runs, I will look for Srdan.

We were on the Jewel to Alaska last summer and thought that the food was really good. We have been on a dozen cruises over the past 2 1/2 years and find the food quality to be pretty consistent.

We were really excited with the initial roll out of new menus with the Getaway. And like the changes that have been rolled out on the Escape (sailed on Escape twice).

We, for one, are happy when poached salmon replaced chicken fingers as a lunch time selection .