???'s about Alaskan cruises.

If all possible, I highly recommend a balcony without an obstructed view. This is the one cruise that it is worth it every penny.

Another balcony tip, while in our cabin or on our balcony we couldn't hear the announcements from the naturalist. While on the balcony we turned our cabin TV to the bridge cam channel(you can hear all the announcements there) and cranked the volume up. I then used a bungee cord to prop balcony open.

I have attached a few more pictures to give you an idea of what type of view you can expect. All of these were taken from our balcony using the internal camera on my Galaxy S5 phone. I did just re-size some of them for form.

Enjoy

20150820_130442.jpg.234989876846ea06073a2a3c81544ee2.jpg

20150820_131501.jpg.64658d6e920c216350164928b307dcdc.jpg

20150820_132430.jpg.fd9435ac88788c1f3a9449577666a38e.jpg

20150820_144654.jpg.ad608db7966ead65d3f0092428588683.jpg

20150820_150017.jpg.35686d600135a7781b9d02266bea1eff.jpg

Cruises out of Seattle are not considered inside passage if they sail on the west side of Vancouver Island. In this case, you'll spend the first day out at sea and won't start enjoying the scenery until the following day as you approach your fist port of call and join the inside passage.

On our particular sailing from Seattle, we sailed on the west side of Vancouver Island on the way north so we were out at sea (and in very choppy waters) that day, but from day 3 until our return to Seattle we enjoyed nonstop scenery. The ship transited the inside passage from Ketchikan to Victoria and then on to Seattle.

Thanks for this info. My cruise is out of Seattle and Day 1 is a sea day and Day 2 just lists Tracy Arm Fjord but no port time. This clears things up for me,

I am on the fence about the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion, that will put my excursion total over $800!! When my daughter talked me into this cruise I had no idea how much the excursions were going to cost. Thanks for all your comments!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our Alaska excursions were very expensive as well, but to put it into perspective:

:) We said "this is a once in a lifetime experience"

:p Because Alaska is in the US there are actually laws and rules and insurance that must be held - not necessarily true in foreign lands/ports

We ended up with a private 2 glacier landing/hike helicopter tour (almost 3 full hours) - AMAZING

The Yukon train in Skagway - INCREDIBLE

A private seaplane and landing to watch bears in Ketchikan - OUTRAGEOUS!

Our cruise was with Celebrity 6 years ago & we still talk about it and get excited as if it was last month!

Do the excursions, you won't be sorry.

Our Alaska excursions were very expensive as well, but to put it into perspective...

...Do the excursions, you won't be sorry.

We did Alaska on the cheap. Our most expensive excursion was a tour in Ketchikan for $45!

Although we have absolutely fantastic memories from this cruise, I came home thinking that I HAVE to go back to Alaska and "do it right" next time. We will go back and we will do seaplanes, helicopters, dog sledding, glacier landings, trains, etc.

For someone who is planning on doing Alaska once in their lives, I think that it's imperative that they splurge and do these more expensive excursions. I justified not doing so on our first cruise because back then I already knew that I wanted to go back.

I am so looking forward to my next cruise, which is going to Alaska. Not wanting to know anything about Alaska itself, I am working on that, but tell me about ship time on an Alaskan cruise. I am one of those cruisers who loves "ship life", the deck parties, music trivia, shows in the palace and love the music in the Red Frog Pub and also love the comedians at night. Will I still get the same activities, just minus the sun burns?

I wouldn't rule out a sunburn. Juneau is supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees today. I was just looking at the Legend bridge cam, and it looks beautiful in Juneau today.

I am going in 27 days, so very interested in this thread. Due to the amount of money needed for excursions we are not doing a balcony for the first time in years. We have one of the French door interiors between two lifeboats. I really hope I don't regret no balcony. It is just me and my 13 yr old daughter seeing as husband hates flying, cruising and the cold. On the plus, I have always wanted to try one of these rooms.

Alaska is one place I would not cruise to without a balcony cabin. There's so much scenery to see, and there is so much daylight this time of year. It barely gets dark before it starts getting light again. To me that makes the balcony an even better investment.

I hope you have a great Alaska cruise with your daughter. I'm going in about 3 weeks too and can't wait.

I am going in 27 days, so very interested in this thread. Due to the amount of money needed for excursions we are not doing a balcony for the first time in years. We have one of the French door interiors between two lifeboats. I really hope I don't regret no balcony. It is just me and my 13 yr old daughter seeing as husband hates flying, cruising and the cold. On the plus, I have always wanted to try one of these rooms.

I'm on the 6/14 legend sailing also

You won't regret it! You will want to be on an upper deck with the naturalist where you can hear the stories and see what they are pointing out. I had an interior my first time and an obstructed view the second time and loved them both. We were always out on deck for great photo opportunities and wildlife sightings - you are limited in what you an see from your balcony and often times the whale sightings are on the opposite side of the ship from where you are - up top you an see all around you. The choice of an interior left funds for my son and his friend to helicopter ride to a glacier, and for my daughter and her friends to do a whale watching trip. We could not have afforded those without cutting corners somewhere and the cabin seemed the right place.

Edited by isaiahsnana

Thanks for this info. My cruise is out of Seattle and Day 1 is a sea day and Day 2 just lists Tracy Arm Fjord but no port time. This clears things up for me,

Tracy Arm Fjord isn't a port stop. The excursion boat pulls up to the ship and takes the excursioners up close to the glacier. I don't know if the ship just drops anchor, or if it sails a loop while the excursion is taking place. Those who stay aboard still have beautiful scenery, just not the close-up views. Unlike in a port, if you don't book the official excursion, you stay aboard. No independent opportunities.

Alaska is more about the ports and scenery than the shipboard activities, but some of them will still be offered. Warning - you can get a sunburn in Alaska. Reflected sunlight off the glaciers, snow, and water can burn you. Skiers wear sunscreen for a reasons.

Roz

Depending where you are in this vast state and when, you can still get a sunburn absent of snow or glaciers.

WOW thanks everyone for all the info! Getting so excited about our September Alaska cruise.

We looked at the balcony and an ocean view. My husband is not someone who could sit still for long, he would want to be up moving around to see this, now this, and over there, therefore the decision was made to do Ocean View. With the savings we could do more on our holiday.

I am a little worried about the cold though! Will have to wear layers as suggested, but have packed beanies and gloves.

My daughters are looking forward to seeing the huskies and ice (however I so should not have let them watch Titanic!!!).

Yes, September starts to get cold. Some days, even with the sun shining, you'll be cold. Taking layers is advised when going out on the water. Even when I drive down to Seward for a day cruise for nature watching in the middle of June, I'll bring along a coat and beanie. Some days, the sun shines and it's hot. Other days, you'll be glad you brought your coat. You really can't predict it. Just take it off it you don't need it.

In Alaska, I would go for an unobstructed window before getting a fully obstructed French door stateroom.

Before taking our first cruise to Alaska, I didn't realize that there's amazing scenery to look at pretty much 24 hours a day once you hit the inside passage (and more importantly, that there's close to 20 hours of sunlight a day to help you enjoy those views!) Unless you're planning on being outdoors the entire time, undoubtedly you'll be enjoying some of those views from your stateroom, whether it's at 5am or at 11pm. You just don't want to stop watching.

After taking an Alaska cruise and witnessing the never stopping amazing scenery, I'd go bonkers with a fully obstructed view, knowing what's beyond those lifeboats.

Agreed. Sunset is just past 11 pm today.

DW and I were talking about balconies and in particular the Alaskan balcony we had last year, which was an aft cabin. With the exception of one cruise, we have always had a balcony and by far, the one that we consider a must was the Alaskan trip last year. We spent much more time on that balcony than on any other.

With regards to the excursions and their prices, we have one credit card that we use to pay for 95% of our purchases each month. Then we pay it off. We knew a year out what the excursions would cost so we just saved the points for a year, then cashed them in and the excursions for the three of us did not cost us a cent.

And of all the excursions we have ever done, the small boat for Tracy Arm tops the list. Words, even pictures, can't do it justice.

Before we took that trip last year, we knew it would be a once in a lifetime trip for us.

That's why we are now looking at doing it again!

We had a balcony last year on our Alaska cruise and I would get a balcony if you can. When I went to Lido to get coffee, there were people all around the deck up against the rails, sitting to see everything. Anyone who got up from a table or a chair was quickly replaced with someone else. It was overcast and misting that day and most people had coats and hoods on.

We took the White Pass train excursion (Skagway), Mendenhall Glacier and the tram (Juneau) and a bus tour in Ketchikan. The bus tour also took us to Potlatch Park, where they carve totem poles and have an antique car collection. We had plenty of time in each town to shop. We took a bus to downtown in Victoria B.C. and I wish we had more time there, as it was such a pretty area. We bought all three excursions through Carnival and they were running a special prior to the cruise, giving us 20% off if we purchased three in advance.

Some of the shows they had were specific to Alaska and one of them continued throughout the week, allowing guests to guess who stole Joe Juneau's gold. The names that the entertainment staff used were names of real people and it was an interesting and different way to follow the story being told. They also had crafts that were Alaska specific - my daughter made a "gold nugget" bracelet. The Naturalist was onboard and told us when we were able to see some wildlife during the cruise. The whole atmosphere was more laid back than on the other cruises we have been on.

We also figured that Alaska would be the "once in a lifetime" cruise but we have been talking about going again. The weather was outstanding while we were there (late June/early July of 2015).

We did Alaska on the cheap. Our most expensive excursion was a tour in Ketchikan for $45!

Although we have absolutely fantastic memories from this cruise, I came home thinking that I HAVE to go back to Alaska and "do it right" next time. We will go back and we will do seaplanes, helicopters, dog sledding, glacier landings, trains, etc.

For someone who is planning on doing Alaska once in their lives, I think that it's imperative that they splurge and do these more expensive excursions. I justified not doing so on our first cruise because back then I already knew that I wanted to go back.

This is us also! I just booked the Legend to Alaska for June 2017 and am sooo ecstatic! Being Floridians we have been spoiled without having to purchase airfare for four (we always travel with our children who are 10 & 12). Between airfare, extended hotel stay in Seattle, and crazy port fees my budget is already stretched. We also got a 4K obstructed cabin between the lifeboats and we have always gotten a balcony but I just couldn't justify the extra $1,000. Maybe if prices come down in the next year we will upgrade but my husband and I decided it was all about getting out to Alaska (and Seattle). We won't be doing any dogsledding on glaciers or helicopters rides but I am sure it will still be an amazing trip and much different from all of our Caribbean cruises.

I figure once the kids get older my husband and I can return to Alaska and do and see the things we didn't see the first time. We are just grateful to go there :)

I've noticed in the past couple months prices have gone way up for Alaska cruises. 2 months ago we saw Carnival, Royal, Princess and Norwegian 7 days cruises going for $700-$900 for a balcony room. Just looking today and cheapest balcony is $1100 on Legend. Interior rooms right now are as much as balcony rooms were 2 months ago. Oh and all the prices I've been seeing are for 2017 cruises between April and September. Wife and I are just looking at prices cause we want to do an Alaska cruise in 2018 but Carnival doesn't have itineraries out that far yet. It hurts less for the nicer balcony rooms the further out we can book so we can make payments over longer time.

We had a balcony last year on our Alaska cruise and I would get a balcony if you can. When I went to Lido to get coffee, there were people all around the deck up against the rails, sitting to see everything. Anyone who got up from a table or a chair was quickly replaced with someone else. It was overcast and misting that day and most people had coats and hoods on.

We took the White Pass train excursion (Skagway), Mendenhall Glacier and the tram (Juneau) and a bus tour in Ketchikan. The bus tour also took us to Potlatch Park, where they carve totem poles and have an antique car collection. We had plenty of time in each town to shop. We took a bus to downtown in Victoria B.C. and I wish we had more time there, as it was such a pretty area. We bought all three excursions through Carnival and they were running a special prior to the cruise, giving us 20% off if we purchased three in advance.

Some of the shows they had were specific to Alaska and one of them continued throughout the week, allowing guests to guess who stole Joe Juneau's gold. The names that the entertainment staff used were names of real people and it was an interesting and different way to follow the story being told. They also had crafts that were Alaska specific - my daughter made a "gold nugget" bracelet. The Naturalist was onboard and told us when we were able to see some wildlife during the cruise. The whole atmosphere was more laid back than on the other cruises we have been on.

We also figured that Alaska would be the "once in a lifetime" cruise but we have been talking about going again. The weather was outstanding while we were there (late June/early July of 2015).

How did you find out about the 20% off excursions? Do you remember how close to your sailing was it?

The excursions are worth the cost.

Indeed they are but I can certainly understand people who state their budgets are stretched -- especially with airfare for a family of 4+. The cost of round trip tickets from Alaska to Florida are insane. I guess one of the fringe benefits of being a consultant and traveling all the time is that I get to rack up airline miles. That's what I use for family vacations to cover the airfare.

I just couldn't justify the extra $1,000. Maybe if prices come down in the next year we will upgrade :)

Just food for thought, but you may want to consider other cruise lines. Initially they may seem more expensive but they may end up being cheaper. We booked our Alaska cruise on Holland America. One of the several reasons why was because they have 7-8 ships in Alaska every season. With so many ships sailing Alaskan waters and so much inventory to fill, you're more likely to see price drops on cruise lines like Princess and Holland America than on Carnival which has one lonely ship in Alaska every season.

In our case, we started by booking a standard oceanview stateroom. Then HAL offered a 3rd/4th passenger free promo, so our kids only paid taxes. In addition, we took advantage of a price drop a few days closer to departure and upgraded to a balcony stateroom, plus we were given $200 OBC! In the meantime, Carnival's prices kept climbing and climbing and sold out while our sailing on Holland still had plenty of availability. We saved almost $1,000 by going with Holland, and ended with an upgrade to a balcony stateroom and a better itinerary.

So shop around me keep your options open. [emoji3]

If you're younger wouldn't Carnival/RC be a better choice than Princess or HAL for Alaska?

Carnival has limited sailings to Alaska. Princess has been the model for how to do Alaska, both land and sea, for some time. We went in the middle of August, started in Fairbanks, then worked our way south towards the cruiseport. There were families around, not as many as would be on a Caribbean cruise, but enough for the kids to make friends and hang out with.

Doing Alaska with the land portion first, you get a full S/B 7 day cruise and Princess gets into Glacier Bay on the way. Carnival can only access Glacier Bay on the shoulder seasons, when most kids are still in school.

Just food for thought, but you may want to consider other cruise lines. Initially they may seem more expensive but they may end up being cheaper. We booked our Alaska cruise on Holland America. One of the several reasons why was because they have 7-8 ships in Alaska every season. With so many ships sailing Alaskan waters and so much inventory to fill, you're more likely to see price drops on cruise lines like Princess and Holland America than on Carnival which has one lonely ship in Alaska every season.

In our case, we started by booking a standard oceanview stateroom. Then HAL offered a 3rd/4th passenger free promo, so our kids only paid taxes. In addition, we took advantage of a price drop a few days closer to departure and upgraded to a balcony stateroom, plus we were given $200 OBC! In the meantime, Carnival's prices kept climbing and climbing and sold out while our sailing on Holland still had plenty of availability. We saved almost $1,000 by going with Holland, and ended with an upgrade to a balcony stateroom and a better itinerary.

So shop around me keep your options open. [emoji3]

Thanks for the tip! Honestly, I didn't even think to look at HAL. For me, it was between Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas and the Carnival Legend-they were almost the same price (oceanview room on RC and French Doors on Legend). In the end, I chose Legend because we are stock holders so we would get the $100 OBC and I would save about 10% by buying the Verizon gift cards and also had two $75 Am Ex offers when I booked.