Going Crazy Weather

jandj1224

I am making myself crazy checking the weather for our trip next week. Really hoping for no rain in Juneau for Tuesday and it changes every day!!!

You know, Juneau is one of the rainiest places in the US. I think it gets something like 220 days of precipitation a year, so instead of "... hoping for no rain." why not bring rain gear so you can enjoy it whatever the weather turns out to be?

The British have a saying, There's no bad weather, just bad clothes. :)

Weather in Alaska this time of year can change without any notice in a quick minute. Always be prepared when traveling there to have a bright warm sunny day when you wake up and leave the ship becoming a raging blizzard in an hour. Worrying about the weather only benefits the health care industry as those get sick from trying to predict it.

You know, Juneau is one of the rainiest places in the US. I think it gets something like 220 days of precipitation a year, so instead of "... hoping for no rain." why not bring rain gear so you can enjoy it whatever the weather turns out to be?

The British have a saying, There's no bad weather, just bad clothes. :)

:) Nice

You can drive yourself crazy looking at weather forecast or you can just accept the fact that it rains a lot in s/e Alaska and pack accordingly....if it doesn't rain then so mulch the better. Weather forecasts for s/e Alaska are reliable for about 48 hours out at best.

Alaskan weather is unpredictable and changes often. Forecasts are pretty worthless. Tok (located in the interior) went from 82 degrees a couple of days ago to 1/2 inch of snow.

The key: Hope for the best, be prepared for the worse and have fun no matter what!

I am making myself crazy checking the weather for our trip next week. Really hoping for no rain in Juneau for Tuesday and it changes every day!!!

Yes you are but if it makes you happy go ahead an do it. If it makes you unhappy - don't.

DON

How about some suggestions of what clothing to bring then

:confused::eek:

LAYERS .... so you're prepared for anything.

- tshirt/shirt for first layer, 2nd layer is a fleece pullover/hoody/sweater for warmth, then top it off with a hooded waterproof jacket. Bring a small daypack so you have somewhere to store layers in case the day heats up or turns ugly.

Look down the page and you'll see the most recent answer to this popular question. Or use SEARCH THIS FORUM with 'clothes' or 'pack' and you'll find hundreds of past responses.

Look thru trip reports and you'll see exactly what people are wearing. For the most part you see people in jeans and jackets.

A lot depends upon how you tolerate the cold. On Glacier Bay day earlier this month, DH and I were running around the outside decks in short-sleeve shirts. Lots of folks were bundled up.

We have LL Bean 3-in-1 waterproof jackets that just went on their 4th Alaska cruise with us. They didn't see any rain at all this year.

How about some suggestions of what clothing to bring then

:confused::eek:

-a waterproof/windproof unlined jacket, preferably but not necessarily hooded

-a sweater or fleece or both

-warm hat or cap

-gloves or mitts

-waterproof shoes or shoes sprayed several times with waterproofing

-some folks like wind/rain pants (not me)

-some folks like long underwear (not me)

-also throw in a pair of shorts, you may just get to wear them ashore.