Is it possible to do a half day lunch tour in Tuscany at a vineyard from Rome

scher

We will be in Rome for 3 days and have a heavy first day of touring the major sites with a guide. On our trip to Europe I feel I am missing out by not going to a vineyard in Tuscany and having and amazing lunch while there. Is it possible to do this in a half a day from Rome? What would be the best way to accomplish it if it can be done?

I'm going to say no. I spent 6 hours driving from Rome to Florence, driving through Southern Tuscany via Chianti. Made a stop in Orvieto for some ceramics shopping and lunch, but that's all.

If you said full day, I'd say you could get some of Southern Tuscany in. But half day, I don't think so.

Not in a "half day" but very doable for a full day. This is not a trip we would take do to the time and cost, but if your heart is set you have some options. We might consider taking the train to Florence (about 1 1/2 hours) and booking some kind of tour from Florence. It would likely be an expensive day, but sometimes that is the price for doing what you must :).

Hank

It's just not possible in a half day.

Unfortunately, when travel time is short, you have to make some choices. You can't do it all. Try not to dwell on this or make yourself frantic trying to cram too much in a short time.

If it makes you feel better, I've been to Italy more times than I can count on fingers and toes and have never yet done a vineyard tour and lunch. (I don't feel like I've missed out. :D)