Help us "order right" in the MDR

stampinantie

Not fond of the desserts any more. Too often they are the frozen, commercial variety brought on board. Others contain far too much sugar. Seems to us that they are making some of the dessert recipes oversweet in order to compensate/mask for a change in the recipe to lower cost ingredients...especially the chocolate desserts.

Just as well in any event so perhaps HAL did us a favour.

Edited by iancal

Not fond of the desserts any more. Too often they are the frozen, commercial variety brought on board. Others contain far too much sugar. Seems to us that they are making some of the dessert recipes oversweet in order to compensate for a change in the ingredients to a lower cost offering...especially the chocolate desserts. We would rather have a 1/4 portion well prepared with good ingredients than a full portion that is too sweet and gooey. HAL is not alone in doing this...it is the same on some other cruise lines.

Edited by iancal

I order lamb most any time it is available, just love it. I used to eat mostly fish on cruises, but since they switched to sustainable fish I rarely order it. I eat a fair amount of beef on board. Others have found beef tough, but I still have my own teeth and have found it delicious.

Rule number 1: I don't eat anything I don't like! I put it aside and no longer feel guilty about "wasting" food - it'll go in the trash anyway it it's been cut to be served.

I also think the veal tenderloin was odd... it came out closer to wiener schnitzel.

I really like the beef carpaccio starter - very thin sliced raw beef with a bit of mustard.

The lamb rack is hard to pass up.

The "always available" salmon is our go to meal when we don't click with the other entrees, even on Gala night when it's not listed we have asked for it and gotten it.

For desserts I've been gravitating to the sorbets or the ice creams which I think are better than what they have in the Lido.

I totally avoid any dessert based on a sponge cake.

The hot soups are far too salty for me.

But the cold soups are delicious, just that many of them are very high in fat calories so I am very selective.

I usually have the polentas, sometimes excellent, sometimes not quite but I try them.

Bob appetite! And thank you for the ideas! I may have to try the vegetable cutlet. m--

In our opinion:

Hits:

Love the shrimp cocktail in mustard sauce

Beef wellington

The quail (although, as expected, portions are "small") grin...

In the morning, I like their cinnamon fresh toast mixed with a side of bananas.

Misses:

Most of the desserts.

Thai curry soup - all at our table (6) sent it back.

I agree with posters about the salty hot soups, sticky risotto, and the weird veal tenderloin.

I learned on our last Veendam cruise that we could order a huge plate of fried calamari for our table as an appetizer. It was not on the menu, but required a 2-day advance order. No extra charge. DELICIOUS.

Also, I love topping my Lido ice cream with liquor (no charge). A lady in front of me ordered rainbow sherbet with Peach Schnapps poured over it. I said "you can hold the sherbet".....They frequently provide Creme de Menthe, Cacao, and Banana Rum. I called it my afternoon delight!

We also had an issue with lobster in the Caribbean. Our tablemate's lobsters were gray, and had a bad smell. Ours were white and firm.

Sheila

Is there still an "always available" selection if you don't want to order from the entrees on the menu?

Yes, we had at least chicken, salmon and sirloin steak, baked potato, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, French onion soup (salty but good) on the always available menu section. The cauliflower casserole that is offered with one of these entrees is excellent and have ordered it with other entrees.

I also need a low salt diet due to swelling and have found it different on different ships, i.e. no problem when ordering from the standard menu on the Amsterdam and had a friend order low salt and she said it was very flavorful but I had to pre-order low salt on the Prinsedam which was bland.

I agree. Order and try. Some choices are marked but if you ever find something not to your need or taste; just request a replacement. They are delighted to do so. I sometimes order two appetizers and no entree as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I feel prepared for my cruise in a week! I have a nice list of things to look for and will not hold a grudge should the galley be having an off day or if the seasoning is not to my taste.:)

I've always ordered the same things and been pleased, but now I have some ideas to mix it up. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

My takeaway...Ask the waiter. When in doubt the lamb entrees and tartare appetizers seem to be a good choice. Take a risk with things you don't get at home (sweatbreads) and skip the desserts with sponge cake and embrace the hot fudge sundae.

I'd love to hear more, so keep them coming.