Shareholder benefit not applied??

I was on Allure last December and received my shareholder OBC for owning 100 shares of RCL stock. I applied for the credit for my next cruise in Jan of 2017 (no cruise in 2016 for me :( ) and just received this response:

Thank you for your email.

As offers are not combinable, the requested shareholder’s onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation XXXXX because there is another discount or onboard credit offer already applied of same value of your shareholder's onboard benefit. If you wish to take advantage of the shareholder’s offer instead of the other offer, please contact your travel agent to have that offer removed. Once the other offer is removed, please resubmit your complete request.

Is this a new development? I assume she is referring to the 60% off a second passenger sale they've been having for a while, but I could be wrong.

Is it worth trying again or calling someone about it?

Not a new policy. You pretty much can't combine it with anything. I don't remember the last time I actually received an OBC for my stock. One the plus side, I bought it at under $20 a share :D

My guess is that you either have some other Royal OBC on your booking, or the BOGO60 is causing the problem.

Unfortunately, the shareholder people never give specific enough info to determine exactly what on the booking is not combinable. When I have been rejected with this email, I've sent another email requesting more info, and not received anything back. Maybe you will have better luck, it's worth a try.

I was on Allure last December and received my shareholder OBC for owning 100 shares of RCL stock. I applied for the credit for my next cruise in Jan of 2017 (no cruise in 2016 for me :( ) and just received this response:

Is this a new development? I assume she is referring to the 60% off a second passenger sale they've been having for a while, but I could be wrong.

If you booked a balcony cabin and are eligible for a balcony discount or you booked on board and received OBC or OBC from the Promo, then your Shareholder benefits will be denied because you can not combine Shareholder benefits with any C&A benefit that has been applied to your booking.

Thanks for the quick responses! I didn't get any OBC but I'm not sure if the TA used the balcony discount. I don't think she did but I really don't know. It could be the BOGO60 that's messing me up.

I've replied to RCL and asked which promotion is gumming up the works and I'll ask my TA if she used the balcony discount. Since I'm booked on a 12 night cruise, the $200 OBC might be bigger than the discount, but I'll have to check.

Great buy on the RCL stock PokrChick! I bought at $35 and I'm happy with the results. The 2% dividend is a great bonus too.

Edited by Videophile

Hi,

I always apply for the shareholder credit but never seem to receive it from Royal Caribbean. For every cruise, there is some type of discount that prevents me from receiving the credit. At least the stock has done very well. I purchased it in November 2008 for less than $10 a share.

In contrast, the Carnival Corporation cruise lines are very generous in allowing the shareholder credit. I have always been granted the credit by Cunard, Holland America and Princess.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

This one always seems to be a tough one to figure out. I have been able to snare the OBC on my last two cruises but I booked inside cabins. For each cruise I was able to get the military rates/discount(?) but the reply from RCL specifically mentioned that those rates did nor preclude getting the shareholder OBC. Just waiting for all of this WOW BOGO stuff to get over so I can start looking again at a simple clean fare again to see if the shareholder OBC makes sense.

• 5 months later...

I've also found the promise of the shareholder OBC from RCCL to be false advertising. Last 2 times I've tried to use it, they've come up with some reason not to honor it.

They'd do better to do away with it rather than lose goodwill from reneging.

Quite a contrast to Carnival and their brands. I've never had it denied, and often combined with other sources of OBC.

I've also found the promise of the shareholder OBC from RCCL to be false advertising. Last 2 times I've tried to use it, they've come up with some reason not to honor it.

They'd do better to do away with it rather than lose goodwill from reneging.

Quite a contrast to Carnival and their brands. I've never had it denied, and often combined with other sources of OBC.

It's pretty obvious that you have never read any terms and conditions of cruises you are thinking about booking

Edited by setsail

It's pretty obvious that you have never read any terms and conditions of cruises you are thinking about booking

It's pretty obvious you're incorrect. Regardless, if they want to exclude most fares, if they want to refuse the shareholder benefit if you have any OBC from any other source, that should be in big, bold print the same size as the supposed benefit, not buried in tiny print. The exclusions are so numerous and broad that there's no point in factoring in the shareholder benefit when considering a cruise.

• 2 months later...

Yes RCCL has screwed us again! I was told that because I waited 2 HOURS in line while on Anthem of the Seas Hurricane cruiser and received $150 OBC for my next cruise I did not qualify for anything more!! Wait that two separate things!!! Anyone can receive OBC for next cruise but only shareholders qualify for stock holder benefits. I will never book another cruise while on board because I get ripped off every time. I hate RCCL but love Celebrity. This will be my last RCCL cruise.

Yes RCCL has screwed us again! I was told that because I waited 2 HOURS in line while on Anthem of the Seas Hurricane cruiser and received $150 OBC for my next cruise I did not qualify for anything more!! Wait that two separate things!!! Anyone can receive OBC for next cruise but only shareholders qualify for stock holder benefits. I will never book another cruise while on board because I get ripped off every time. I hate RCCL but love Celebrity. This will be my last RCCL cruise.

You can not combine any C&A benefit (OBC, balcony discount, etc) with Shareholder Benefits. Makes no difference if you book from home or on board. It has been this way since December 31, 2009 when they eliminated the combining of said benefits.

If the OBC from booking your upcoming cruise while on board is "less" than the listed Shareholder benefit, you can ask that the OBC from booking on board be eliminated and then apply for your Shareholder benefit.

Edited by cruisenfever

the only time I've been able to get my Shareholder benefit applied is when I book an interior cabin when cabins are not on sale. I've even been denied because I booked a Going, going, gone priced cabin. RCI runs sales after sales now...I don't know why I'm holding onto my shares. Oh wait, now I remember...I can't afford the Capital Gains Tax now if I sell :D

• 1 month later...
It's pretty obvious you're incorrect. Regardless, if they want to exclude most fares, if they want to refuse the shareholder benefit if you have any OBC from any other source, that should be in big, bold print the same size as the supposed benefit, not buried in tiny print. The exclusions are so numerous and broad that there's no point in factoring in the shareholder benefit when considering a cruise.

"any OBC from any other source" isn't a reason for denial. You should be able to get an OBC from your Travel Agent, and still get the Stockholder OBC. That being said, however, they just rejected me, and the reason for rejection was cryptic to the extreme. Michael Bayley is CEO. His email address is mbayley@rccl.com. Carlos Leyva is Chief Guest Experience Officer. His email address is cleyva@rccl.com.

If at first you don't succeed:

EXECUTIVE CONTACTS

Ivette Gari, Adjuster, Guest Claims igari@rccl.com

Aurora Year-Rodriguez, Director, Guest Experience ayera-ridriguez@rccl.com

Carlos Leyva, Guest Experience Officer cleyva@rccl.com

Michael Bayley, President and CEO mbayley@rccl.com

As with all things, Make sure you have a case (at least in your own mind); Provide all the supporting evidence you have; and don't threaten. You won't always win, but companies do make mistakes, and someone might agree with you if you're reasonable.

... I hate RCCL but love Celebrity. This will be my last RCCL cruise.
I think we have a terminology problem. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) owns Celebrity, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) and a number of other cruise lines. I'm assuming you are not planning any more RCI cruises, but if you want stockholder credit on Celebrity you will be dealing with the same people and same rules at RCCL. Good Luck with that...

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I always apply for the shareholder credit but never seem to receive it from Royal Caribbean. For every cruise, there is some type of discount that prevents me from receiving the credit. At least the stock has done very well. I purchased it in November 2008 for less than $10 a share.

In contrast, the Carnival Corporation cruise lines are very generous in allowing the shareholder credit. I have always been granted the credit by Cunard, Holland America and Princess.

Chuck

Yeah same here. I have used it on Carnival, Princess, etc. and never been denied it, ever. We vowed long ago never to take Royal Caribbean and never new about the shareholder credit, but we thought we would try Celebrity, and we tried the OBC. Nope rejected for some unknown reason. So far we have been impressed with Celebrity certainly over Princess, but we'll definitely have top keep this in mind.

I hate RCCL but love Celebrity. This will be my last RCCL cruise.

Yes we gave up on RCCL long time ago. We are trying Celebrity soon, but my patience is growing short with RCCL and I'll be selling that stock soon. (I've made enough on my Carnival Stock over a few years where I can go on a full cruise. Thanks Carnival.)

Years ago, it was a good deal. I bought mine in the depression and almost paid for, the stock by OBC LOL. I got tired of NOT GETTING it when any perk you received was small. Sold it @ $95, not a bad profit.

Several years back the limited the offers that you could use to 2. So C&A and BOGO or WOW (which have become standard pricing) and you are SOL.

BTW, I have a couple thousand shares and I get the same response. Guess I need to have about a million in holdings to get their attention.

• 1 year later...
We got ours on our Anthem cruise this past January (1/26/17). We booked under 30% off second guest and also got our Diamond Balcony Discount. I applied for it and they gave me the $200 OBC for the 12 night cruise.

I realize this is a super old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any recent stories about this? Is there occasional success?