Just back from the 10 day Mariner in Alaska....

Shippy

I'm so sorry to have veered this thread off course. I appreciate the guidance (and reminder to tip shore ex staff) and will do my very best to read all the guidelines between now and Weds when we board.

As penance, I promise to write my impressions of the Mariner in a few weeks. :)

I'm so sorry to have veered this thread off course. I appreciate the guidance (and reminder to tip shore ex staff) and will do my very best to read all the guidelines between now and Weds when we board.

As penance, I promise to write my impressions of the Mariner in a few weeks. :)

No apologies or penance necessary - just enjoy your cruise. I look forward to your impressions.:)

Many Regent "guidelines" are rules. They just have a more polite way of saying it. If Regent wanted guests to "acknowledge good service" by tipping, they would say so. Instead they ask (since they cannot demand) that "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund ". Enough said (and in Regent's words).

I'll bite, again. Regent tipping policy is a suggestion, not a rule. No smoking is a rule not a suggestion. If Regent wanted a no tipping rule then they would just tell their crew members not to accept tips. Or they could clear it up by saying "No tipping allowed."

We have gone down this path before; I tip extra most of the time. I wouldn't or couldn't ever do the hours of work the crew put in, particularly the cabin and wait staff. A few extra dollars in their pocket is just really not a big deal to me.

j

I'll bite, again. Regent tipping policy is a suggestion, not a rule. No smoking is a rule not a suggestion. If Regent wanted a no tipping rule then they would just tell their crew members not to accept tips. Or they could clear it up by saying "No tipping allowed."

We have gone down this path before; I tip extra most of the time. I wouldn't or couldn't ever do the hours of work the crew put in, particularly the cabin and wait staff. A few extra dollars in their pocket is just really not a big deal to me.

j

As you stated, we have gone down this path before and I still question why people feel the necessity to tell everyone that they go against Regent's recommended policy/guidelines. Regent caters to adults and do not feel the need to put "rules" in place (except the no smoking "rule). Not wearing jeans is not a "rule" but you will likely be asked to change into "evening" attire. if you wear them.

Some people book luxury cruises because they want everything included (and know that the crew is paid considerably more than on other cruise lines). As long time CC members, is it really in the best interest of people new to Regent that want to know their policies/guidelines to tell them that you tip?

IMO, if you want to "do your own thing" - whatever it is, why not keep it to yourself and stick with what Regent recommends? Lately it seems that posters on threads regarding tipping and dress code go out of their way to tell "newbies" how they can get away with wearing certain types/colors of jeans and make it sound as if most people tip. In my experience, this is not the case and is confusing and misleading to people new to Regent.

P.S. Lest I be bashed yet again because I gave a Scrabble set to a crew member/friend ......... I admit it but do not encourage others to do the same. Also, when someone goes above and beyond their normal duties (i.e. when a butler puts on a dinner or cocktail party in your suite), a tip may be appropriate. It is important to repeat that these are special circumstances. I've known of butlers that have purchased medicine in port for guests - something clearly outside the scope of their job. Everyone on Regent gives excellent service - this is their job. And, tips do not go to the crew members preparing the food, washing/ironing your clothes/sheet/towels or even the crew that we never see that keep the engines running. They do, however, benefit from donations to the Crew Fund.

Edited by Travelcat2

The topic of tipping in board has been discussed over and over. I strongly suggest that if anyone has any concerns regarding whether or not tipping is allowed, they should just ask the GM while on board - they will quickly learn the "real answer" and not have to rely on the opinion of others who may or may not have other agendas.

gnomie :)

The topic of tipping in board has been discussed over and over. I strongly suggest that if anyone has any concerns regarding whether or not tipping is allowed, they should just ask the GM while on board - they will quickly learn the "real answer" and not have to rely on the opinion of others who may or may not have other agendas.

Is there really any doubt as to what the General Manager would say? Obviously they would quote Regent's policy. On the other hand, it is a great suggestion to ask the GM onboard than to ask on this board for the reason stated -- people definitely have agendas!!!

The thread about bar service reminded me that I wanted to ask-- when everything is included, to people tip bar staff in cash or not tip at all?

I used to love cruising with Regent but all this tipping business really gets me down. It is stated it is an all inclusive line including gratuities. That means it is all inclusive. Why don't people just stick to it and if you feel the need to tip then give to the crew fund? It is such an american thing to tip for everything. The people that do this then make it difficult for people who don't. The other reason I don't cruise with Regent any more is that I used to like the formal nights.

I now cruise with Cunard as they have formal nights and I know where I stand with the tipping. Also, I feel Regent has lost some of their loyal staff in the past four or five years. Travelcat, whilst I enjoy reading some of your posts I feel that you are acting like a spokesperson for Regent itself for this board as you write so many replies to posts.

j

With regards to tipping....if no tipping is Regent's policy then the staff receiving the tips would say " I can not accept the tip". I did not see this happening on this Regent cruise or on our prior cruise on Regent. People will tip if they want to and it happens on all the luxury lines regardless if the tips are already included.

My impressions: May 8-18 on the Mariner

We just got off the Mariner. We have been on two Regent cruises now. Both cruises we had a penthouse A on the pool deck. The other ship was on the Navigator back in 2011.

Thought the food, service and butler were very good. The public lounges were very nice. Found the Mariner much more spacious than the Navigator.

The penthouses A was a nice size but the decor was very blah and needs an update. I was under the impression that the penthouses had been updated recently on the Mariner. The bathroom was very small and dated. We had a tub/shower combo with the dreaded shower curtain. The other couple we were traveling with took a Penthouse A with just the walk in shower. Wasn't impressed with their bathroom either. The one nice feature of the penthouse was the L-shape couch.

The bath products that Regent gives you are very generous.

I just don't find that much difference between Regent and Oceania except one is all inclusive and the other is a la carte. The food and service in Compass Rose and the buffet are a step above Oceania.

We were on the Crystal Symphony last April in a penthouse....it was a little smaller than the penthouse on the Mariner but the decor was beautiful and the bathroom was much larger and great....looked brand new with a separate jacuzzi bath tub, separate shower and double sinks. The Symphony is an older ship but it has been updated to look like new when it comes to the suites/bathrooms.

Where Crystal shines over Regent is their excellent service, decor of the suites, enrichment programs, computer classes, and their buffet in the lido with many more choices than on Regent. Assigned seating at dinner on Crystal is a turn off for many people. The one thing I did noticed on Regent....on some nights there was a line to get into Compass Rose...On Crystal with assigned seating there weren't any lines to get into their main restaurant. Just an observation...nothing more.

There are always going to be pro's and con's with every line.

We have been to Alaska many times and find the scenery beautiful. We were not able to get close to the Hubbard Glacier on the Mariner or on the Navigator. We have been up very close to the Hubbard Glacier on the Regatta (Oceania) back in 2014. We have sailed up to Alaska on Silversea (2009 and 2012) and got up very close to the Sawyer and Dawes Glacier. So it wasn't a big deal for us not to get close to the Hubbard Glacier this time. If this was your first time cruising to Alaska....it would have been a disappointment not to get up close to the glacier.

We did take one paid excursion in Wrangell that was excellent.....Went up the Stikine River to Shakes Lake to see the Shakes Glacier in a small jet boat. Was a lot of fun and got very close to the Shakes Glacier. I would highly recommend this excursion if you are going to Wrangell.

Overall the cruise was very enjoyable.

Edited by juli2020

".......Not wearing jeans is not a rule but you will likely be asked to change into evening attire"..........

Huh, Really??

If you are denied service (dinner) and are asked to leave the dining room without being seated (until you change clothes)........That certainly looks like a "rule" to me! And if you are denied drink service in a bar until you go back to your room and change clothing.....Well, that also looks like a "rule" to me, too! What am I missing here?

Okay, I await the "spin".

Is there really any doubt as to what the General Manager would say? Obviously they would quote Regent's policy. On the other hand, it is a great suggestion to ask the GM onboard than to ask on this board for the reason stated -- people definitely have agendas!!!

Now you are able to predict what others will say? I have said it before and I will say it again, if tipping was against the rules, the staff would never dare accept a tip for fear that they might be caught and lose their job and the reception desk would not have envelopes and cards ready for the asking at the end of each cruise. No one and I mean NO ONE, HAS EVER TOLD US that we cannot or should not tip and I have asked many, including the Captain (we once had dinner with the Captain and this topic was discussed in detail) -we have been told that all gratuities for the ship are included, there is a crew fund, HOWEVER, NO ONE IS NOT ALLOWED TO TIP, and there is no rule against tipping. No one should feel obligated to tip on the ship, however, for those that chose to show their appreciation, for whatever reason, should not be treated as if they are "breaking the rules".

I know this will generate a great deal of disagreement - I just want new cruisers to know that there is NO RULE AGAINST TIPPING, it is not required or expected, but it is not banned.

Now you are able to predict what others will say? I have said it before and I will say it again, if tipping was against the rules, the staff would never dare accept a tip for fear that they might be caught and lose their job and the reception desk would not have envelopes and cards ready for the asking at the end of each cruise. No one and I mean NO ONE, HAS EVER TOLD US that we cannot or should not tip and I have asked many, including the Captain (we once had dinner with the Captain and this topic was discussed in detail) -we have been told that all gratuities for the ship are included, there is a crew fund, HOWEVER, NO ONE IS NOT ALLOWED TO TIP, and there is no rule against tipping. No one should feel obligated to tip on the ship, however, for those that chose to show their appreciation, for whatever reason, should not be treated as if they are "breaking the rules".

I know this will generate a great deal of disagreement - I just want new cruisers to know that there is NO RULE AGAINST TIPPING, it is not required or expected, but it is not banned.

I agree that there is no rule against tipping.

And quoting that strange wording about tipping from the Regent web site over and over "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged [by whom? Apparently not by Regent or the wording would say Regent encourages guests] to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund" doesn't make tipping a prohibition. That sentence is followed by another sentence that says the Crew Fund is used for parties. Several people have commented that that statement is misleading or only partially true since they believe the crew fund is used for family emergencies or possibly other crew benefits. So two poorly or awkwardly worded sentences are quoted over and over to prove something that they don't say. And if the second sentence is partially incorrect then who knows whether the first ambiguous sentence is correct either, no matter what it means.

Much of the problem about topics such as this lies with Regent for its poor communication. This whole topic that keeps coming up on various threads could be clarified in 30 seconds if someone from Regent wished to do so. Instead Regent lets these things fester and smolder on these threads. That is yet another example of Regent's poor corporate communication.

I can't wait for someone to request the name of the captain so he/she can be enlightened about Regent's so called rule. :)

Why do some Regent posters continually pontificate on the subject of tipping? I don't see this brought up on other luxury lines and hammered to death. It really is redundant and serves no purpose. Bottom line, you cannot dictate to people what to do. Just stay out of others peoples business and mind your own.

Edited by Suite Travels

that the crew fund has become a bit of a nebulous idea to us. We came to this conclusion after the supposed "excitement" of the crew (on SS) over a new sofa for the lounge and we decided that we had no intention of providing $ for something that the company should be providing for the staff. These crew funds could hold a significant amount of money and I question who is actually in charge of all this? Since all tips are included in our fare, we will continue to thank a few people at the end of the cruise with an envelope. If these folks wish to dump it into the crew welfare fund they are entirely free to do so. No one has EVER hustled us for a tip and I have no intention of hunting down any GM to ask if we are allowed to do what we do.

The Crew Fund is used to arrange tours for the Crew in some ports, for emergency situations as well as Parties. I've been sailing on Regent for a number of years and have contributed to the Fund for most of that time.

Think of all the people who we don't see - who work below decks - they too help to make our cruise a success.

A passenger should do as s/he sees fit but remember, there are many more people on the ship than our Stewards/Waiters etc.

Peggy

The Crew Fund is used to arrange tours for the Crew in some ports, for emergency situations as well as Parties. I've been sailing on Regent for a number of years and have contributed to the Fund for most of that time.

Think of all the people who we don't see - who work below decks - they too help to make our cruise a success.

A passenger should do as s/he sees fit but remember, there are many more people on the ship than our Stewards/Waiters etc.

Peggy

I certainly understand that the entire team of staff onboard are what makes for a wonderful cruise. I had been in the hospitality business for a very long time and it was always known that back of the house employees, while just as skilled and wonderful as front of the house staff, has little if any interaction with customers and had no expectation or even thought to a tipping scenario. The employees who had to deal with guests....good or bad....were the ones who received tips and they were on a different pay scale as well. As long as people are employed in jobs that they themselves have chosen, I don't feel the need to be concerned about each staff member on the ship.

Fizzy,

I take it you've discussed the pay scale issue with Regent and know that what may be true on land is the same on Regent. I have not had that conversation but am not 100% sure that your assumption is true.

I plan to ask the question when I board the ship on my next cruise out of curiosity. Will it change what I do? That is my business, I guess. And what you do is yours.

Peggy

I follow the Regent comments with interest as we will be taking another Regent cruise later this year and I must say that I am truly madly deeply BORED with the subject of tipping.

Why are so many interesting threads hijacked with the constant tipping debate. If it interests you so much make yet another thread about it and if there are any moderators on here, they should be bumping such comments over to that thread.

Please please please put your tipping observations where they belong, on a thread where they can be avoided is so desired.

I'll get me coat! :eek:

This can' t be resolved. The answer lies in where you come from!! Americans tip as its in their DNA, Brits, Aussies ,Japanese , and many Europeans don't as it has almost died out in our countries or actively discouraged!

Enjoy your time & cruise and agree to differ!!

Fizzy,

I take it you've discussed the pay scale issue with Regent and know that what may be true on land is the same on Regent. I have not had that conversation but am not 100% sure that your assumption is true.

I plan to ask the question when I board the ship on my next cruise out of curiosity. Will it change what I do? That is my business, I guess. And what you do is yours.

Peggy

I most certainly have not discussed the pay scale with anyone at Regent because it is absolutely none of my business. I was referring to the hotel/restaurant business in general and that I am familiar with. I would think it would be rather patronizing to be asking about the salary of someone unless I was about to hire them and was figuring out comps. I agree with you. Everybody should do what feels right to them.

The airlines say not to tip the cabin crew. You never see anyone, including Americans, that do tip the crew, so why is it a big deal on ships. It is still a service they are providing I grant you for not as long. Not saying anymore on tipping now.

I most certainly have not discussed the pay scale with anyone at Regent because it is absolutely none of my business. I was referring to the hotel/restaurant business in general and that I am familiar with. I would think it would be rather patronizing to be asking about the salary of someone unless I was about to hire them and was figuring out comps. I agree with you. Everybody should do what feels right to them.

What does the hotel/restaurant business "in general" have to do with the luxury cruise industry? Definitely apples and oranges. Having worked in Human Resources for many years (which is completely different than working in H.R. on a cruise ship) and I have had detailed discussions with a long-time Regent/Oceania H.R. Manager. There is one similarity between U.S. Government positions and cruise ship positions - salaries. It is not necessary to ask, for instance, what the President of the United States makes as it is public knowledge. The same is true for cruise ship positions.

Peggy, thank you for bringing posting your views. As a very long time Regent customer, I respect your insights!

Pigin, you are so right. I tried to stop this off topic thread a couple of pages back. I had not planned to post again until I read fizzy's statement "I don't feel the need to be concerned about each staff member on the ship" (referring to crew members that the guests do not typically see). This is really sad and I disagree strongly with this sentiment.These hard working people don't necessarily "pick" their positions. They simply want to make enough money to support their families that they won't see for months (unlike jobs in hotels and restaurants). and will take any position they can to get a foothold into the cruise industry. They work long extremely long hours and are as deserving as the "visible" people on cruise ships.

GrJ Berkshire - I have agreed with your posts on this thread except the last one. I was born and raised in the U.S. but have travelled extensively since 1987. Out of respect for different cultures, I always do research before visiting a place that we have not been previously. If there is no tipping in a country, I don't tip. If pointing with your index finger is rude, I don't point. Some people "accidentally" make rude gestures to bartenders in England because they don't know better (but should -- I'm referring to when someone holds their hand the wrong way when indicating that they want two drinks). In any case, not everyone in the U.S. has the tipping in their DNA;)

Now this thread is even further off track. When I read these boards I wonder why people that constantly complain about Regent and choose to announce publically that they don't care about the recommendations/suggestions/policies that Regent sets forth even sails on Regent. If I wanted to tip or wear jeans, I would sail on Oceania - not Regent (and yes - I have sailed on Regent's sister cruise line). On Oceania you can tip anyone and everyone. And, if you do want to tip - no worries - 18% will be added to your drink price and a daily "tip" will be added to your bill.

Edited by Travelcat2

.........still very, very bored! :mad:

I don't know what I was expecting but it was odds on favourite that there would be more about the subject. I now know what the letters TA means on this site, Tippers Annoymous. Just try and go one day without having to make a comment about any aspect of tipping.

So I take it this site is run without moderators.

I'll get me coat.

.........still very, very bored! :mad:

I don't know what I was expecting but it was odds on favourite that there would be more about the subject. I now know what the letters TA means on this site, Tippers Annoymous. Just try and go one day without having to make a comment about any aspect of tipping.

So I take it this site is run without moderators.

I'll get me coat.

TA - Travel Agent

You'll also see references to the "OP" which is Original Poster. The OP of this thread must wonder what in the heck happened!