Substituting passengers

limoncello07

Hi all: As described in this thread I'm a first time cruiser planning a last-minute cruise to Alaska on Princess (for 4 people) in July 2016. This is in part a gift for my 14-year old nephew, and I've told him he can invite a friend. Because the pieces of this plan just came together today, he does not yet know which of his friends might be free and which of their parents might be willing. My sister is talking to one set of parents now but understandably, they may need a little time to consider this out-of-the-blue offer.

In the meantime, I've been looking at rates and cabin availability online all week and today started moving forward with trying to book. This afternoon I found a good deal on a pair of adjacent cabins in a location of the ship I like -- a better combination than anything I've seen all week -- and called to make the booking. The agent I spoke with was helpful, reserved the rooms, and took all the personal data of the three of us who I know for certain are going; however, she said that because this is a non-refundable fare, she would need the name of the 4th person before booking, because no changes would be permitted once the fare is paid for. She's also indicated that it is a "flash fare" from Princess which expires tonight.

I had such good response to my earlier question I thought I'd check here again -- does this sound right? She has no reason to make this up, since I would gladly go ahead and make the booking right now -- if anything, she's potentially losing business if I can't confirm the name of the 4th passenger in time. But I'm wondering if Princess is likely to be more flexible on this than the travel agency can be. I'd love to know if anyone had experience dealing with Princess in similar circusmtances, or has been able/unable to substitute one friend in a cabin when the original traveler has to cancel, etc. Rookie that I am, I had assumed that because I am booking an entire cabin (rather than a seat), the process would be similar to booking a hotel room, where the cruise line would not care who was in the cabin with me, as long as I have paid for the entire cabin and an accurate number of passengers (and their names have been corrected on the manifest prior to departure). But it's sounding like it's instead more like buying an airline ticket, and that I can't, e.g., book my niece into the room as a placeholder now, then expect to swap in the friend at a later date.

To be clear, I'm booking two rooms, and I'm not seeking to get a refund on any portion of the fare if I book now and it winds up just being three of us; I'm simply seeking the ability to add or substitute a fourth passenger into the second double cabin sometime between now and July. The delay in booking would not be such a big deal except that at this late date, the number of cabins that are next to or across from one another is pretty limited, at least in desirable areas of the ship. If I lose this pair I'm sure we can make something else work, but I'd hate to give them up unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! (I note that I'm currently travelling abroad and do not have access to a local travel agent who can advise in person).

Yes, this sounds right for this special deal. Princess and other cruise lines do sales where there are NO changes permitted after booking.

Most of the time (regular bookings), name changes are permitted. Also, some lines allow you to book a "To Be Determined" guest and substitute a name later.

I hate to tell you this but weekend Princess agents are not as well versed as week day Princess agents.

You may want to call back and speak to someone else and see what they have to say. Or ask for a supervisor.

From my minimal experience, I would say you could do a name change or add a second person to the cabin later. Adding a 3rd can be tricky but a 2nd should be allowed. I would think you could book the one person in the cabin and add the 2nd later. Though - this is why I use a cruise travel agent. They know their stuff well.

Edited by Coral

If you're after final payment, there'll be a charge by Princess to change the name of a passenger. One of the original passengers must remain on the booking. Whether the fare is refundable depends on the promotion. A good TA can advise you on this and make the changes for you.

If you're after final payment, there'll be a charge by Princess to change the name of a passenger. One of the original passengers must remain on the booking. Whether the fare is refundable depends on the promotion. A good TA can advise you on this and make the changes for you.

Can be changed for $50 at least two days before the sail date. Of course some fares restrict changing of pax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app