Cut out Cinque Terre?

Millenia98

we are traveling back home from Milan, and our last stop was cinque Terre. This is September 2-4.

Is there a more interesting area to explore in very northern Italy/Liguria?

Just not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Yes, the Lake District around Milan. Lake Maggiore and the Borromean islands; Lake Como with Tremezzo and Bellagio. Look it up. It is a gorgeous area.

we are traveling back home from Milan, and our last stop was cinque Terre. This is September 2-4.

Just not sure if it's worth the trouble.

We're heading to Lake Como after our cruise that begins next week. You might just want to do a google search of "Lake Como vs. Cinque Terre"..I was surprised that many people were advising the Lake District over Cinque Terre.

I've noticed your other threads ...you might want to reserve well ahead for the Lake District also. I noticed availability was getting tight for our dates about a month ago.

We are a little confused by the OP's info. If Cinque Terre is a port day (often in La Spezia) than that is actually the best bet from that port. But if the OP is simply asking about other options in Northern Italy (not from a port day) we also like the Lake District. While Lake Como (and Bellagio) is certainly the best known, we personally prefer to spend a couple of days at Lake Maggiore (Stresa is a good area to stay).

Hank

We are a little confused by the OP's info. If Cinque Terre is a port day (often in La Spezia) than that is actually the best bet from that port. But if the OP is simply asking about other options in Northern Italy (not from a port day) we also like the Lake District. While Lake Como (and Bellagio) is certainly the best known, we personally prefer to spend a couple of days at Lake Maggiore (Stresa is a good area to stay).

Hank

Sorry, this is a land trip. We are coming from Provence and French Riviera. Last stop is a drive to Cinque Terre before flying out of Milan.

That was the question was whether we should skip Cinque Terre and do something else instead?

Another option to consider that includes a Lake is the amazing city of Verona, home to an ancient (1st Century AD) amphitheater that hosts an annual seasonal concert series (pop, jazz, opera and more) in addition to lovely piazzas, shopping etc. Nearby is Lake Garda - a beautiful place to add on to any visit to Verona. Some people actually prefer Verona to Venice - hard to imagine, I know but it's obviously different without the canals, so one must obviously still experience Venice. Many Venice visitors (land trips) also add on Verona...it's just amazing. Verona is a UNESCO world heritage city...it's lovely.

Cinque Terre and the Ligurian sea side are stunning too but they are getting so crowded now that the Italian ministry of tourism is getting rightfully concerned and considering limiting the number of annual visitors in order to preserve the villages and seaside. The good news is, there are so many other wonderful options in and around the area of Northern Italy! :) Como and Maggiore are brilliant but there are these other alternatives too....hope you find an option that appeals to you ;)

Official Lake Garda Tourism website:

http://www.visitgarda.com/en/garda_lake/

Lonely Planet Guide to Verona

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/the-veneto/verona

Italian Lake Region

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/lombardy-and-the-lakes

Here is another member's thread with a great, long, detailed review on their visit to Lake Garda which includes a side trip to Verona - note, the review is not fully completed yet, when you see the detail in the review, you'll understand why!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277223&page=3

Edited by Host Bonjour

Verona is lovely but quite a bit out of the way for someone coming from the French Riviera on the way to Milan.

Cinque Terre is wonderful but everyone has different priorities. Other than someplace convenient for getting to Milan, what else is important to this decision? Are you looking for hiking, or just a village to hang out in, sea views, etc? We can keep throwing darts at the message board wall, so to speak, but we can be more helpful with a bit more insight into your likes, interests, etc.

Verona and Lake Garda are past Milan and the lake District. We love Lake Garda and Sirmione, but the OP is driving from Nice and only has a couple of days before a flight from Milano. So his time would be better spent at the lake District.

Is it better than Cinque Terre? CT are lovely fishing villages by the sea. The Lake District are beautiful sites and palaces by incredible scenery. Different, yes. Both are worth seeing. If the OP is likely to do another cruise in the Med, then CT will be more accessible. On a land trip, I would go for the lakes anytime.

We stayed once at the hotel La Palma in Stresa, right by Lake Maggiore. Very nice.

We have also stayed at the Barchetta Excelsior in Como. Nice too, on the Piazza Cavour with views of the lake. The piazza is wonderful in the evening with all the cafes, music, etc.

Milan is less than a 4 hour drive from Nice. Think how much extra time you would have by going there instead of the CT detour.

Edited by marazul

Now that we understand the situation we have no definitive answer. We have vacationed at Cinque Terre, Lake Maggiore, and Lake Como (not been to Lake Garda) and have found lots of charm at each region. IMHO you cannot go wrong with any of those areas. Most of us have our personal favorites, but that does not mean that another person would prefer one of the other places. Cinque Terre is rapidly being ruined by the cruise industry (with the support of the Italian government) which began when cruise lines started to use La Spezia as a major cruise destination. Prior to that, most cruise passengers had to come from Livorno or Genoa...and the geography (plus lots of other good choices) limited cruiser who went to CT. Now, you can have thousands of cruisers in La Spezia...and most immediately head over to Riomaggiore....which cannot possibly handle those massive crowds. So now, the Italian government wants to restrict the daily visitors...but do this by a gate on the approach road...rather than restricting cruise traffic into La Spezia. While we are avid cruisers (have spent years on cruise ships) we also acknowledge that the cruise industry has ruined some ports (St Thomas is a great example) by the vast number of passengers that can descend on a small port in a single day. When 4000 cruisers are trying to take the cable car down to the port at Santorini ....and that mode can only handle 1200 an hour....one can see the problem! And in Cinque Terre, the trains and boats cannot handle the extra thousands of cruise passengers that might show-up on a single day.

But getting off my high horse.....we cannot agree with the suggestion of driving to Milan...since we truly do not see much to like about Milan (let the flaming begin). So to the OP we say...look at the options and either head to CT, or one of the Lakes.

Hank

The reference of driving time to Milan was to put the OP on a time scale from Nice. Yes, I would go straight to the lakes which is a little extra time. By 'going there' I meant going to that area instead of going first to CT and then to the Milan airport. The OP only has a couple of days between Nice and flying out of Milan. It makes more sense to have extra time in Lombardy rather than driving to CT and then just driving to the Milan airport. The recommendation in my posts is for the Lake District.

No flaming from me on the subject of Milan.

Edited by marazul

Verona is lovely but quite a bit out of the way for someone coming from the French Riviera on the way to Milan.

Cinque Terre is wonderful but everyone has different priorities. Other than someplace convenient for getting to Milan, what else is important to this decision? Are you looking for hiking, or just a village to hang out in, sea views, etc? We can keep throwing darts at the message board wall, so to speak, but we can be more helpful with a bit more insight into your likes, interests, etc.

Not looking for hiking. Just a beautiful place to hang out, people watch, hang out in cafes, stroll. How does that sound to you?

The reference of driving time to Milan was to put the OP on a time scale from Nice. Yes, I would go straight to the lakes which is a little extra time. By 'going there' I meant going to that area instead of going first to CT and then to the Milan airport. The OP only has a couple of days between Nice and flying out of Milan. It makes more sense to have extra time in Lombardy rather than driving to CT and then just driving to the Milan airport. The recommendation in my posts is for the Lake District.

No flaming from me on the subject of Milan.

nice. So a better "on the way" option is the Lake region rather than CT?

I am not a fan of lakes and lake scenery, though. I love towns and cities/cafes/strolling/some history/and pools/beaches. But I'm not opposed to something new/different at all just because it's not within my typical likes. I like bustling.

Edited by Millenia98

Here's a link that might give you a better idea of the areas you're looking at and the pros and cons:

http://justwanderlustblog.com/2013/12/deciding-which-italian-resort-town-to-visit-cinque-terre-lake-como-or-amalfi-coast/

Ignore the Amalfi comments and save that for another trip/

Edited by buggins0402

Here's a link that might give you a better idea of the areas you're looking at and the pros and cons:

http://justwanderlustblog.com/2013/12/deciding-which-italian-resort-town-to-visit-cinque-terre-lake-como-or-amalfi-coast/

Ignore the Amalfi comments and save that for another trip/

Yes, I just read that this morning! Thank you. Is it true/do you agree. The "sleepy/relaxed" town the way they described Como turned me off. I DO love hustle and bustle. BUT to be honest, I was discouraged by the lack of nicer accomodations in CT. It's very humble, and I usually dont mind - but I dont like what I saw for the price.

We've been to Amalfi twice. Ahhhhhhhh. Only to dream a third time one day :D

Can I also tell you all one more thing I took away from Amalfi and Sicily (Catania, etc) - they're very sleepy when tourists are not around. Amalfi is beautiful (we did long day tours there both times). But I always thought to myself, wow, this is so quiet. I'm not sure I'd want to stay here when it's so quiet.

Is the Lake region and Cinque Terre also this way?

But Sorrento center? MAMA MIA, I love. It makes my heart patter w/all the bustling noise and beauty.

Edited by Millenia98

nice. So a better "on the way" option is the Lake region rather than CT?

I am not a fan of lakes and lake scenery, though. I love towns and cities/cafes/strolling/some history/and pools/beaches. But I'm not opposed to something new/different at all just because it's not within my typical likes. I like bustling.

Time wise, the lakes are a much better option. Look at them in google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28838+Stresa+Province+of+Verbano-Cusio-Ossola,+Italy/@45.5977545,9.1379963,9.34z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4786758e05b94925:0x78f0166e234c7ef3!8m2!3d45.8882031!4d8.5258667

From Stresa, you can spend a day going to the Borromean islands. Lots of history and stunning views and palaces. Nice cafes and pools at the hotels in Stresa.

http://www.stresa.com/

For Lake Como, look at this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/travel/36-hours-lake-como-italy.html

I mentioned a couple of nice hotels before, but there are many options. At that time of the year, the towns are lively at night because of European tourism. The towns are beautiful and a lot less crowded than CT. No ocean cruise ship can dump 4000 people on a little town! For example, Monterosso has a population of 1500 and Vernazza of 1200 people.

This could be a chance to see something different.

Edited by marazul

Time wise, the lakes are a much better option. Look at them in google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28838+Stresa+Province+of+Verbano-Cusio-Ossola,+Italy/@45.5977545,9.1379963,9.34z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4786758e05b94925:0x78f0166e234c7ef3!8m2!3d45.8882031!4d8.5258667

From Stresa, you can spend a day going to the Borromean islands. Lots of history and stunning views and palaces. Nice cafes and pools at the hotels in Stresa.

http://www.stresa.com/

For Lake Como, look at this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/travel/36-hours-lake-como-italy.html

I mentioned a couple of nice hotels before, but there are many options. At that time of the year, the towns are lively at night because of European tourism. The towns are beautiful and a lot less crowded than CT. No ocean cruise ship can dump 4000 people on a little town! For example, Monterosso has a population of 1500 and Vernazza of 1200 people.

This could be a chance to see something different.

time-wise as in 2 days of activity in Lake Region are better spent vs 2 days in CT?

time-wise as in 2 days of activity in Lake Region are better spent vs 2 days in CT?

More to see. You can visit all the villages in CT in one day and spend the next day at the beach in Monterosso. For the lakes, you can spend one day in Lake Maggiore and one in Lake Como. You can drive from Stresa to Como in one hour. You can stay in either town and make a day trip to the other lake quite easily.

Como is less than an hour to the airport. Stresa a little bit more.

Tough choices.

Edited by marazul

I just saw your last post. For 'lively' there is no comparison with Sorrento! But Piazza Cavour in Como fills up at night in open air cafes right by the lake. It is a great atmosphere.

That's good to know!

OP - I'm in the same position as you...have only been to the Amalfi. But, my cruise goes to Cinque Terre and we are hitting Lake Como after. I try to research vibe also before my trip and I remember going through the same exercise as you when I was trying to get a feel if Lake Como would be as overrun as Cinque Terre. Trying to set appropriate expectations - so I'm not disappointed.

Reading the responses, I kind of wish I had taken a longer look at Maggiore. But, DH (who does no trip planning) had read an article in National Geographic Traveler on Lake Como last year. Once he gets something into his head it's hard to substitute another location:).

Now I'm thinking about keeping Cinque Terre (sleeping in La Spezie the 2 nights) and driving to Parma on the way back to Milano airport. For additional taste of Italy since CT has less to see.

LOL! We are crossing paths in where we've been looking to go. We're doing a few nights in Bologna before heading to Lake Como. I liked the looks of Parma better, but Bologna was more of a straight shop with rail.

LOL! We are crossing paths in where we've been looking to go. We're doing a few nights in Bologna before heading to Lake Como. I liked the looks of Parma better, but Bologna was more of a straight shop with rail.

Hahaha funny! What does your whole trip look like? Who are you traveling with? Here's mine- eep.

Direct flight to Paris from NYC (stay 1 day and night in Paris)

Train from Paris to Nice, pick up rental car (stay 5 nights, do day trip to Provence)- or stop in Provence 1-2 nights

Nice, Eze, St Tropez, Villefranche

Drive to Cinque Terre (sleep 2 nights)

Flight from Milan at 4pm- drive by Parma on the way. Not sure how that'll fit.

What do you think?