What time to pick for check in on Pearl (Alaska)?

lmintzer

I realize that I can probably check in for my cruise! 62 days to go!

What would be a good time to pick for check-in? We are cruising at the end of July, and I'm sure it's going to be busy! The earliest slot (9:30-10:00 is already full, and there are only 7 slots left in the 10:00-10:30). Should we jump on this? Is it recommended that we get there early to minimize waiting time?

Also, we booked through a travel agent, though, really done most of the work/research and realize I could have easily done this on my own (we didn't get any perks or financial benefit from booking with her either). Now I know. She e-mailed to say she could check us in and just needs our passport numbers.

Should I let her do it? Is there any reason to do so? I almost would rather do it myself at this point.

Check in yourself... it's painless, and you know it's done right.

Regarding times, pick whatever is available and show up as you like. The times are a suggestion only, primarily designed to reduce congestion at the terminal.

I travel in suites, so I don't know how the waiting times work. Suites do things differently. But people seem to get there way early, around 9:30 or so, then sit around and wait for 2 hours for boarding begins. I'm not looking to sit around for hours waiting. If it's me boarding with the masses, I'm getting there late... after boarding starts, around 12:30 pm.

Edited by triptolemus

Check in yourself... it's painless, and you know it's done right.

Regarding times, pick whatever is available and show up as you like. The times are a suggestion only, primarily designed to reduce congestion at the terminal.

I travel in suites, so I don't know how the waiting times work. Suites do things differently. But people seem to get there way early, around 9:30 or so, then sit around and wait for 2 hours for boarding begins. I'm not looking to sit around for hours waiting. If it's me boarding with the masses, I'm getting there late... after boarding starts, around 12:30 pm.

I agree, around noon is good. It is also not going to hurt if you choose an earlier time and arrive later. It is not like you will be denied boarding.:)

When we sailed on the Pearl out of Seattle last year they were checking the times (not sure if they are still doing this) but I would select the early time and then get there whenever you want after that.

Thanks. Maybe we will pick 10:30-11:00 and show up at 11. Does that mean another hour plus before we are on the ship? I only ask because some in my party will get pretty hangry if they have to wait until 2 to eat (teen/tween boys plus my dad--I can wait). Also, we have a 6:00 p.m. dinner reservation at Cagney's so I would prefer if we could not eat lunch too late (6:00 is so kids can meet people at kids club/teen club at 8).

I am assuming some of that time is for checking luggage and waiting to check documents. What time can we assume we will be on?

Edited by lmintzer

I am assuming some of that time is for checking luggage and waiting to check documents. What time can we assume we will be on?

The Pearl will start boarding around 11:30. You need to clear security (metal detectors and x-rays of hand-carry), then wait in line to check-in.

The Port of Seattle is kinda a mess since it is right on the main street. They literally block traffic lanes to allow people to be dropped off. Then then hunt for a porter.

I recommend showing up early (10:30ish) to avoid the crowds. Then straight on board to lunch.

Enjoy Alaska! Plan to spend a lot of time on your balcony or on deck as you move from port to port. Lots and lots of whales and dolphin.

Thank you. We will aim for 10:30. Would love to avoid crowds and board early! Should we hit "The Great Outdoors" for lunch? Or one of the MDRs? Forget what was recommended here as a good way to go.

Hope you enoyed your cruise on the Pearl. We are super excited about our trip. I cannot wait to sit on my balcony and see the wildlife!

Thank you. We will aim for 10:30. Would love to avoid crowds and board early! Should we hit "The Great Outdoors" for lunch? Or one of the MDRs? Forget what was recommended here as a good way to go.

Personally we always go to the MDR (open 12 till 2), other places can be VERY crowded especially as many will have carry-on luggage with them.

thank you for posting this! i did not realize you didn't have to complete online check in in order! We do not have our passports yet, we just ordered them Saturday. But I was able to pick time for our late August cruise on the Pearl! Picked the earliest time, there were "4 slots" left! :)

Have you been to Seattle? Are you likely to go back? If the answer to these questions is no, then don't rush to get on the ship enjoy the city and pick a late boarding time.

Agree! That is my plan when I board the Pearl on June 4th!

My DW and I will be on that sailing too. We are staying about a mile from the port, so we are going to take a leisurely morning and arrive around noon or so. We are silver latitudes, so the check in line is short, and we already have spa passes.

No real need to get there too early. Going to try to sleep off a little jetlag and enjoy a little Sunday morning Seattle

10 days!

My DW and I will be on that sailing too. We are staying about a mile from the port, so we are going to take a leisurely morning and arrive around noon or so. We are silver latitudes, so the check in line is short, and we already have spa passes.

No real need to get there too early. Going to try to sleep off a little jetlag and enjoy a little Sunday morning Seattle

10 days!

oops....I meant Jewel. :o Are you on the Pearl?

Edited by Tinknock50

yeah we are on the Pearl :)

I think we may pass each other going in and out of Juneau. I will wave at you on your ship if you will wave back.:)

I will also take a picture of your ship if you want it later after you get back.