Best side of ship for veranda?

montereybob

For a southbound voyage you will find that a port side cabin will have slightly better scenery. However, to really take in all the scenery that Alaska has to offer you really need to be out on deck moving around and that is particularly true on your glacier day(s). If you prefer sunsets over sunrises then the starboard side is better.

Having been on ships through that area on both sides I can tell you that there is no difference in the views at all. You are so close to shore that the views are great either way.

Anyone who says that one side or the other is better has not been through the true inside passage.

If your ship happens to be visiting Glacier Bay, the narration will tend to coincide with approaching glaciers on the port side of the ship. The ship will eventually spin so all sides get the view, but if you are on the starboard side, you will not be able to see it while the naturalist is describing. Which really only matters if you plan to be on your balcony that day.

We enjoyed our balcony room especially at the Hubbard Glacier. No fighting for a spot to take photos on the upper viewing decks. We did not go up to upper deck until we were informed the ship was leaving. Then for a brief time to get a panoramic photo of the entire glacier & back to the cabin.

Captain stated we were unusually close to the glacier with a small amount of ice flow. We still enjoyed much calving from the cabin.

Our viewing pleasure is to see the shoreline & an opportunity for wildlife as we continued south. I will admit that the best viewing was the last day from the top deck near the bow as we entered the chain of islands on our way to Vancouver. Here we were greeted by many pods of Orcas. Although too far away for any decent pictures. Still a very nice experience.

Finally we used our balcony a lot on this trip. It was September & we lucked out with no rain to enjoy the scenery.

Happy Travels, John

Having been on ships through that area on both sides I can tell you that there is no difference in the views at all. You are so close to shore that the views are great either way.

Anyone who says that one side or the other is better has not been through the true inside passage.

Well in my case about 20 times on cruise ships going back to 1963 and crewing on smaller vessels as far Prince Rupert countless times. What people forget is that you must transit Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance where there is nothing to the west until you get to Japan. Therefore for southbound itinerary a port side is more scenic. Northbound, I would pick starboard. By the way except for pocket cruise ships,what is sailed by mass market cruise ship today is no longer 'a true inside passage route' even out of Vancouver.

So it sounds to me like an accurate statement would be that Port is preferred for this itinerary (we're looking at the same next year) but if you book a little too late and wind up with Starboard, it'll be just fine.

Is that correct?

So it sounds to me like an accurate statement would be that Port is preferred for this itinerary (we're looking at the same next year) but if you book a little too late and wind up with Starboard, it'll be just fine.

Is that correct?

The view is pretty much the same from either side of the ship, in fact south bound we prefer starboard.

We choose both sides!

Have aft cabin booked again with large balcony that lets us see both sides of the

inland waterway. One of the best times being as we turned to leave Hubbard Glacier,

and sat down at our little two top table with happytisers and a bottle of red wine.

Had a long direct look at the glacier from our spot without having to go elbow to elbow with

other passengers at the rail. ;)

Our most enjoyable views have been from the public decks of the ship where we can get a more panoramic view of scenery and quickly get from side to side and from front to back on the ship.

I would not be concerned with which side of the ship your room is on.

Keith

Our most enjoyable views have been from the public decks of the ship where we can get a more panoramic view of scenery and quickly get from side to side and from front to back on the ship.

I would not be concerned with which side of the ship your room is on.

Keith

Good idea! Save those terrible, awful aft cabins for me! ;)

By the way except for pocket cruise ships,what is sailed by mass market cruise ship today is no longer 'a true inside passage route' even out of Vancouver.

Which reminds me, I've been trying to find a map or description of the actual route the large ships take to Vancouver. We're on the Norwegian Sun in August, southbound Seward to Vancouver.

I like to know where we'll actually be sailing. The promotional materials from the cruise lines and TAs (when there are any at all) only have macro-view maps showing a line behind Vancouver Island. But it's hard for me to see where that would be.

Anyone have a link to a real-life map or chart with detail?

Former sailor/Navigator at heart,

Linda

Which reminds me, I've been trying to find a map or description of the actual route the large ships take to Vancouver. We're on the Norwegian Sun in August, southbound Seward to Vancouver.

Anyone have a link to a real-life map or chart with detail?

**********.com

Here's the 15 August Seward to Vancouver sailing: ****************************/cruise-k83953-alaska-norwegian-sun-seward-ak-vancouver

Zoom into the map for the intended route.

EDIT: Unfreaking believable. I hate CC's site reference filter since it completely f's up the interchange of valued information. I understand the concept of not enabling your competitors, but if you have the superior product there's no reason to enact such lame measures. Use s e a s c a n n e r . c o m in lieu of the asterisks.

Edited by gpb11

**********.com

Here's the 15 August Seward to Vancouver sailing: ****************************/cruise-k83953-alaska-norwegian-sun-seward-ak-vancouver

Zoom into the map for the intended route.

EDIT: Unfreaking believable. I hate CC's site reference filter since it completely f's up the interchange of valued information. I understand the concept of not enabling your competitors, but if you have the superior product there's no reason to enact such lame measures. Use s e a s c a n n e r . c o m in lieu of the asterisks.

I found it. Thanks!

You can also get it by Googling "scanner cruise-k83953". Now to figure out if I can make the map full screen.;)

Linda