VOOM allure question

Hello, so i am not "techy" AT ALL, so this question is probably really lame. I am on Allure 6/5. I would like to purchase VOOM. So i keep my phone in airplane mode, right? and i can text via whatsapp, app? but what about emails? will my emails download over wifi? I need to connect into the office a bit while on the trip, nothing major. i wont be downloading files. Thank you for your help.

Emails will download.

If you have an iPhone, iMessage will work over wifi. I don't think regular texting (aka the green bubbles on an iPhone, not blue;)) works over wifi.

Someone else might need to correct me. :cool:

It's becoming a more complicated question lately.

Some carriers now offer WiFi calling, so they can offer voice and texting over WiFi. This depends on carrier, phone model, and phone software version.

I'm not too tech savvy but VOOM was great on my IPhone and IPad during our January Allure cruise. Yes, keep your phone in airplane once you sail so you don't get roaming charges. I used email, Facebook, and Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with family and friends while on the cruise (and of course post lots of pictures of my wonderful cruise). Since I only paid for one device I couldn't use my IPhone or my IPad for wifi at the same time but there really wasn't a need to use them at the same time. It was so easy and quick to use VOOM.

It's becoming a more complicated question lately.

Some carriers now offer WiFi calling, so they can offer voice and texting over WiFi. This depends on carrier, phone model, and phone software version.

Didn't think about texting. I know I can do WiFi Calling (have already tested it), but if that is enabled then I should be able to text as well? Not that I have anyone to text during my cruise lol.

I have Verizon for my iPhone and in the Caribbean I'm charged 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive a text (also when I'm in Europe); however, to avoid text sending charges, I'm always connected to the ship WiFi and always include either an emoji or photo so that it uses data and then I'm not charged per text message. The same goes for receiving text messages.

I have Verizon for my iPhone and in the Caribbean I'm charged 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive a text (also when I'm in Europe); however, to avoid text sending charges, I'm always connected to the ship WiFi and always include either an emoji or photo so that it uses data and then I'm not charged per text message. The same goes for receiving text messages.

Do you have WiFi calling enabled?

Do you have WiFi calling enabled?

I only turn on my WiFi calling when I actually place a call from the ship otherwise I keep it off. I also turn off my "Cellular Data" so I default to the ship's WiFi. I was on Celebrity last month with unlimited internet and sent probably 50 text messages with emojis, photos or videos and did not incur any charges on my phone bill except for text messages I received (5 cents each) that did not contain an emoji or photo.

I only turn on my WiFi calling when I actually place a call from the ship otherwise I keep it off. I also turn off my "Cellular Data" so I default to the ship's WiFi. I was on Celebrity last month with unlimited internet and sent probably 50 text messages with emojis, photos or videos and did not incur any charges on my phone bill except for text messages I received (5 cents each) that did not contain an emoji or photo.

I'm trying to figure out why the emoji or photo thing is relevant. Because that doesn't change whether or not you use internet.

iMessage is blue. They use internet data. Only iPhones can iMessage. So if you have an iPhone and whoever you text does too, you are fine. If they do not, you cannot text them. But there are 10,000 texting apps that you can use that will use wifi. So use an app like GroupMe or anything else and tell your family to do the same so you can communicate. Facebook messages are a great option too.

Thanks for the info.

Verizon must be different from AT&T, because I cannot send MMS (texts with photos) messages unless cellular data is on, even connected to WiFi. Unless you are using iMessage or some other internet based texting method, such as WhatsApp.

Edited by clarea

I'm trying to figure out why the emoji or photo thing is relevant. Because that doesn't change whether or not you use internet.

iMessage is blue. They use internet data. Only iPhones can iMessage. So if you have an iPhone and whoever you text does too, you are fine. If they do not, you cannot text them. But there are 10,000 texting apps that you can use that will use wifi. So use an app like GroupMe or anything else and tell your family to do the same so you can communicate. Facebook messages are a great option too.

I will be the first to admit that I am far from tech savvy, but when I was in the Caribbean last month and my sister-in-law sent me text messages from her iPhone 6 (like mine) and I was connected to the ship WiFi, I was billed 5 cents for every message I received from her. However, when my son texted me with emojis or photos from his iPhone 6, I was never charged for the messages. I had the same experience last year in Europe. This method seems to work for me, but I'm sure others have more experience with texting and a better understanding of the iPhone functionality.

I will be the first to admit that I am far from tech savvy, but when I was in the Caribbean last month and my sister-in-law sent me text messages from her iPhone 6 (like mine) and I was connected to the ship WiFi, I was billed 5 cents for every message I received from her. However, when my son texted me with emojis or photos from his iPhone 6, I was never charged for the messages. I had the same experience last year in Europe. This method seems to work for me, but I'm sure others have more experience with texting and a better understanding of the iPhone functionality.

I'm guessing your sister used SMS messages and your son used iMessage.

I'm guessing your sister used SMS messages and your son used iMessage.

That is my guess as well. Even though your sister was also using an iPhone - if she did not have her imessage enabled it went through as an SMS message and because of this your carrier charged you.

A quick way to tell if the text is via imessage is the color of the text. If the text is blue it is imessage - all others will be green.

I'm not too tech savvy but VOOM was great on my IPhone and IPad during our January Allure cruise. Yes, keep your phone in airplane once you sail so you don't get roaming charges. I used email, Facebook, and Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with family and friends while on the cruise (and of course post lots of pictures of my wonderful cruise). Since I only paid for one device I couldn't use my IPhone or my IPad for wifi at the same time but there really wasn't a need to use them at the same time. It was so easy and quick to use VOOM.

So you get a login that you can use on any of your devices? Could I share with DH if we used on different devices at different times? It is very expensive for a family of 4!

So you get a login that you can use on any of your devices? Could I share with DH if we used on different devices at different times? It is very expensive for a family of 4!

Yes, you get a single login that can be used on any number of different devices. However, you are limited to the number of simultaneous logins you purchased.