Sun in Sitka today?

bonvoyagie

I don't know why it is there but it is a much better stop than ISP.

I totally disagree. ISP is my favorite port. No tourist stores(except the cannery). I have walked into the town and seen eagles and their nest, stika black-tailed deer and I even saw a bear off the road once. And up until this year you tendered in Icy Strait. From the decks of the ship I have seen whales breaching and orca pods. It is the only port I know that if you have patience, the show will come to you. They also offer great whale yours. Going back again on the Sun in two weeks. Looking forward to using the new dock.

• 1 month later...

Having cruised AK several times I can look at the ship's camera and figure out where she is - I also look at the various ship tracking sites lie AIS vessel tracking.

BTW she has been making more Sitka stops of late - in fact she was there today when she should have been in Skagway. She should be in Ketchikan tomorrow - we will see - she appears to be heading towards Skagway tonight.

Edited by bonvoyagie

My shipmate and I (from the May 10-Day Pearl cruise) were just discussing a future Alaskan cruise this evening. She asked if there was somewhere I wouldn't want to go to again. My answer was: If I had a choice between ISP and somewhere else I'd probably choose the somewhere else. ISP was okay but I'd take Sitka again in a heartbeat. It's all everyone's personal choice. I did see the whale as we were leaving the new ISP dock that evening - I've read others talk about it - he/she (the whale) must really enjoy showing off for the cruise ships. :)