Veendam - Canada & NE Discovery

ACNCON

Hello All,

We are looking at booking the Veendam for the 7-day Canada & NE Discovery in August. We are travelling with 4 teens (16, 16, 15, & 14). I am just wondering if there will be enough on this ship to keep them busy?

Our most recent cruises have been with Carnival where they have been 4 out of 1220 children aboard. They never participated in the Kids club because there were just too many kids and they aren't into that type of chaos.

Our teens enjoy the sport courts, trivia contests, video games, shows, and comedy. They would use the kids club if it wasn't overwhelmed with too many teens.

We cruised on the Eurodam about 7 years ago and it ranks up there as one of their favourites due to the lower number of children on board. But now that they are older, I am a little concerned. I have been told that this itinerary attracts an older crowd but we've done the Caribbean ports and would like to try something different.

So, would this be a good choice for our group? Thoughts?

Thank you!

This cruise is very port intensive so you will spend a lot of time off the ship. I have done this cruise twice and am leaving on June 4 to go again on the Veendam. . Last time we went in July there were some teens on board but not a lot like on carnival. The teens seemed to enjoy themselves but it really is different from a carnival cruise. I might be able to answer some questions after we get back.

We had a very different itinerary over Xmas than you will have but it too was port intensive. There were other kids but not swarms. The teens checked in at the loft but mostly connected with each other there and went off to do many of the activities you listed. DD who is 15 and quite social said if there had been more sea days, she thought she might have become bored. As it was, she thoroughly enjoyed herself, engaged in several of the activities available (trivia, sunning, swimming, mocktails, hanging with other teens). Someone posted loft activities on a thread (search the Loft and I'm sure you will find it). They will not be overrun with teens and will not be one (or 4) faces in a thousand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I took my family (including a then 14 year old) on the Veendam last August. I would say that he enjoyed it because it was port intensive. There isn't much to do on the ship in terms of amenities. There is a pool and ping pong. There was a basketball court and paddle tennis. My teen didn't use the youth program on Veendam so can't comment. We met every day for trivia. Had nice dinners at the Pinnacle Grill. We went to the shows at night. It was a good cruise because of the itinerary. We came back each day to our homey ship. I'm sure your teens will be fine. Bring Uno cards.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hello All,

We are looking at booking the Veendam for the 7-day Canada & NE Discovery in August. We are travelling with 4 teens (16, 16, 15, & 14). I am just wondering if there will be enough on this ship to keep them busy?

Our teens enjoy the sport courts, trivia contests, video games, shows, and comedy. They would use the kids club if it wasn't overwhelmed with too many teens.

Sounds like Veendam will be perfect for your gang! Veendam will NOT be "overwhelmed with too many teens" - that is for sure. There may be a *few* kids on board in addition to yours, but not many.

This cruise is very port intensive so you will spend a lot of time off the ship. I have done this cruise twice and am leaving on June 4 to go again on the Veendam. . Last time we went in July there were some teens on board but not a lot like on carnival. The teens seemed to enjoy themselves but it really is different from a carnival cruise. I might be able to answer some questions after we get back.

If you've done this cruise twice and heading out again, I take that as a good sign!

Not like Carnival is a good thing when it comes to the number of children on board.

Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments.

Judging from all the comments, I think it just may work for our group especially since its a port intensive cruise.

I appreciate all the replies!

Thank you!

I found it! Good ole rogerjettphotography! A veritable goldmine! This will hopefully link you to the blog posting

Here are examples of the Kids Activities on HAL:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you! This was very helpful!