Default Question about special diet and Norwegian Freestyle

rhume55

Wife has special diet needs.

Went on Carnival cruises in the past, with assigned time dining, and the special attention wife received was great.

Hostess sat with her with the next day's breakfast/lunch/dinner menu and they picked out and built specific suitable meals for her.

Love Carnival for that!

We're thinking of going on Norwegian Escape in July 2016. Norwegian only has Freestyle dining (plus specialty restaurants).

QUESTION: Will Norwegian be as attentive to wife's dietary needs as Carnival was?

Thanks!

Went on Carnival cruises in the past, with assigned time dining, and the special attention wife received was great.

Hostess sat with her with the next day's breakfast/lunch/dinner menu and they picked out and built specific suitable meals for her.

Love Carnival for that!

We're thinking of going on Norwegian Escape in July 2016. Norwegian only has Freestyle dining (plus specialty restaurants).

QUESTION: Will Norwegian be as attentive to wife's dietary needs as Carnival was?

Thanks!

Contact NCL prior to your cruise - call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax 305-468-2171 or email to accessdesk@ncl.com.

I took my niece last year and we contacted them. Worked great.

Please inquire once on board. More than likely you will talk to the Maitre d or Hotel Director.

Good Luck.

Yes, if they are given enough notice...

"Have special needs or dietary restrictions? All of our ships have designated staterooms to accommodate wheelchairs and guests with hearing impairments. We can accommodate special food requests (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Kosher) if we're notified in time. Let our Access Desk know you're coming at least 8 weeks prior to cruising to ensure the best experience possible." - NCL website

Love Carnival for that!

Thanks!

I have severe allergie to msg and have low sodium restriction

, this is my 4th cruise with ncl I Contact NCL prior to MY cruise - call 1-866-584-9756 once on board you will have a letter in your stateroom to contact the dietian , every evening after meal the dietian will meet and bring the next day's breakfast/lunch/dinner menu for you to set up your meal . We are going on the Breakaway this Sunday and I have received a call from pre-concierge that the dietian will meet us at 4.00pm in the Haven lounge Sunday afternoon

As long as you contact them ahead of time, your wife should be well taken care of. When I boarded the Jade there was a letter in my cabin instructing me to go to Guest Services to meet with the maitre d and we talked about my options. They're really good at helping people on special diets.

Have a great cruise!

I have severe allergie to msg and have low sodium restriction

, this is my 4th cruise with ncl I Contact NCL prior to MY cruise - call 1-866-584-9756 once on board you will have a letter in your stateroom to contact the dietian , every evening after meal the dietian will meet and bring the next day's breakfast/lunch/dinner menu for you to set up your meal . We are going on the Breakaway this Sunday and I have received a call from pre-concierge that the dietian will meet us at 4.00pm in the Haven lounge Sunday afternoon

You asked on the other subforum about how it would work given there aren't pre-specified dining times, etc.

There was someone for me to discuss the "next day's dining" every day.

As one example, we were planning to eat in Le Bistro, and the previous time, I didn't order the Onion Soup because it's almost always *very* salty.

So I spoke with them the day before, and told them approximately what time we'd be dining, and when we arrived, before I could even say anything, they mentioned that my soup was all ready for me.

Aside from the salt issue, I have a food allergy, but it is for something that is easy to identify.

When I order (anywhere, not just on ships), I first mention the allergy. Sometimes the server comes back with more questions, occasionally a chef or sou chef comes out to discuss it (they are quite reasonably worried about more severe food allergies which could be fatal).

IF something arrives on my plate which is questionable, I'll either leave it uneaten or send it back (but this is a rare event).

And there are certain types of "mystery foods" (certain sauces or "mashed together things" like meat loaf that I just avoid unless I've prepared it OR spoken directly and specifically with the chef).

I've noticed a huge improvement in the general attention to dietary problems/allergies/special needs vs. a decade or two ago.

This is everywhere: restaurants, hotels, ships...

We've already contacted the cruise line about our daughters special dietary needs and they have said to meet with maître de after boarding, but what happens about the lunch immediately after we board? Do we have to tell them ahead of time where we plan to lunch that day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I heard the station manager explain to a family that it's best to alert the dining room about an hour before your seating that you will be dining with them so chef can pref for the special meal to have it served along with the rest of you group.

We've already contacted the cruise line about our daughters special dietary needs and they have said to meet with maître de after boarding, but what happens about the lunch immediately after we board? Do we have to tell them ahead of time where we plan to lunch that day?

I ate in the dining room for my first meal, and the assistant maitre d came to my table and went over the menu with me. I suggest you make it a priority to meet with them as soon as possible after you board. They can help you navigate that first meal.

Every dining room on the ship, including the buffet, has a maitre'd you can contact for assistance and answers to any questions you have about the different foods. If you decide to go to the buffet, I'm sure it will be about like eating at any buffet restaurant at home where you can pick and choose. Ask the maitre' d any questions you have about any of the ingredients you are uncertain about.

Have a younger cousin who may be joining us on the Breakaway in late November. She is a strict vegetarian. Wondering how they will be able to accommodate her food choices since other than speciality restaurants, we would not know ahead of time where we will be eating or the time we would be eating.

MARAPRINCE

Have a younger cousin who may be joining us on the Breakaway in late November. She is a strict vegetarian. Wondering how they will be able to accommodate her food choices since other than speciality restaurants, we would not know ahead of time where we will be eating or the time we would be eating.

MARAPRINCE

The Buffet has many vegetarian options, clearly marked if not clear (e.g, salad bar, steamed vegetables). They have a wonderful buffet menu of Indian and other curry-type cuisine items that is quite delicious and changes daily. It's likely your cousin will be pleased with the selection and not go hungry.

The MDR menus also always have at least two vegetarian offerings; one on the always available menu and one that changes daily.

Edited by drvalo

Thanks for the responses, they are greatly appreciated. Our daughter was recently diagnosed with full blown celiac disease that had resulted in two hospital stays and horrible skin lesions before it was diagnosed.

I never realised that celiac disease could actually be so serious. Just thought that whole gluten free thing was a trendy first world diet choice. Now I know different...

The Buffet has many vegetarian options, clearly marked if not clear (e.g, salad bar, steamed vegetables). They have a wonderful buffet menu of Indian and other curry-type cuisine items that is quite delicious and changes daily. It's likely your cousin will be pleased with the selection and not go hungry.

The MDR menus also always have at least two vegetarian offerings; one on the always available menu and one that changes daily.

Perfect! That is very good news!

MARAPRINCE

When I did the behind the scenes tour on the Dawn last month we toured the galley. They showed us the sections of the galley where they can prep and avoid cross contamination for celiac, Kosher, etc. But they need to know ahead of time. The head chef was great in explaining all that they do to accommodate food allergies.

I am allergic to black pepper so they have always helped me.

When we were on the SUN last week, every time we sat down to eat, we were asked if we had any food allergies or special dietary needs. I am not sure DH even noticed but I thought it was pretty cool...