How high is the solo chairlift on Capri?

ken_nyc

There is a sort of mania among US travelers (I am one, so no flaming intended) to take care of everything in advance of travel. Yet that also takes away the ability to change plans if needed. What if the day you have in Naples turns out to be gray and rainy, with rough, choppy waves -- it happens. You are locked into what you've decided to do.

There are some things, IMHO, that are worth deciding and arranging in advance. Tickets to the Vatican, for example, to avoid the horrendous lines. But other things (I have come to learn) are better off left until you're on the ground so to speak, as often there is no real 'downside' to getting the tickets or making the plans on the day of your adventure. In fact, costs are usually less.

We dock in Salerno, not Naples.

IF the waters are too choppy and the cruiseline cancels the excursion, I will be credited. Only out the money paid for the boat tour - which it not make or break.

One other advantage to doing the cruiseline excursion to get there is that you have a guaranteed seat on a set hydrofoil/shuttle boat. I've read multiple accounts of people having to leave earlier than planned because the completely DIY ones were sold out for more desirable times.

But that's the beauty of choice. We can each choose to do what we are most comfortable with and what we want to do. I'm quite happy that for both this option and for Rome the ship offers simple transfer service so if we don't want to waste time going to something that means nothing to us (the Vatican or Pompeii) we don't have to as the pre-arranged tours almost all include in those areas.

IF the waters are too choppy and the cruiseline cancels the excursion, I will be credited. Only out the money paid for the boat tour - which it not make or break.

One other advantage to doing the cruiseline excursion to get there is that you have a guaranteed seat on a set hydrofoil/shuttle boat. I've read multiple accounts of people having to leave earlier than planned because the completely DIY ones were sold out for more desirable times.

But that's the beauty of choice. We can each choose to do what we are most comfortable with and what we want to do. I'm quite happy that for both this option and for Rome the ship offers simple transfer service so if we don't want to waste time going to something that means nothing to us (the Vatican or Pompeii) we don't have to as the pre-arranged tours almost all include in those areas.

From Salerno, we actually think a cruise line excursion is the way to go.. The hydrofoil situation is totally different then from Naples as there are only two boats. But we would point out that it is a long way between Salerno and Capri (over 2 hours each way). As much as we enjoy Capri, not sure we would spend nearly 4 1/2 hours (round trip) to get to the island.

Hank

From Salerno, we actually think a cruise line excursion is the way to go.. The hydrofoil situation is totally different then from Naples as there are only two boats. But we would point out that it is a long way between Salerno and Capri (over 2 hours each way). As much as we enjoy Capri, not sure we would spend nearly 4 1/2 hours (round trip) to get to the island.

Hank

Thanks. Yes, I figured it would be a long-ish ride as the description says 9.5 hours and we have 5 hours free-time on the island. But that's ok. I don't want to go to Pompeii, and there aren't a lot of other excursions that interested me. Luckily I love being on the water! :)

beth

Ah, I didn't realize you were in Salerno. It's less easy to DIY from there, definitely.

(Also, when I mentioned the rough waters/gray weather, I wasn't so much thinking of cancellation but just that one might re-think one's day. From Naples there could be other good options on a dreary day that trump going to Capri.)