Sojourn in Monte Carlo

ab21au

That would be cool to get the timing right to coincide with the GP!

Cruise MC to Barcelona starts 30th. The ship has been there for several days, all the days of the F1 that I have been watching on Fox. I thought someone had said that Ferrari has leased it.

Ferrari did lease the ship for the Grand Prix. When we landed in Monaco, 125 technicians and their equipment were waiting on the dock to jump on the ship and turn it into a "hotel." The MDR was being converted into offices, the pool was being covered over, and I'm not sure what else they were doing. Disembarkation was chaos, as there was so little room for disembarking passengers, luggage, and transport vehicles because of the Ferarri folks and their stuff. The regular Seabourn crew were on for the duration, but the entertainers had a paid week off, so long as they checked in every morning before noon. Linda

That would be cool to get the timing right to coincide with the GP!

In 2011 we travelled with my brother and his wife on a cruise that was timed for the GP. Arrived in Monaco (anchored in the bay as Legend was at the dock) on the Saturday morning and we departed at 1am on Monday.

Only downside to this?

The cruise was on Silversea ;)

There are several cruise ships in Monaco right now, Silver Spirit, Star Breeze, both Sea Dream ships, Windstar, and Azamara that I'm aware of, could be more.

I knew it was chartered by Ferrari, but imagined it was being used to entertain important clients etc. So, surprised to read the dining room and pool are not being used for their normal purposes.

It was Legend in the old days, of course. I think a Fred Olsen (old British ships) ship is nearby - not off Monaco itself - for enthusiasts to attend the GP.

I knew it was chartered by Ferrari, but imagined it was being used to entertain important clients etc. So, surprised to read the dining room and pool are not being used for their normal purposes.

It was Legend in the old days, of course. I think a Fred Olsen (old British ships) ship is nearby - not off Monaco itself - for enthusiasts to attend the GP.

When we got off, a lot of the dining room tables were already "missing." What really surprised me was that not all the guests will be on for the duration. A crew member told me that they weren't quite sure how many guests would be on each night as it would vary. I'd like to hear from the next segment's passengers how the crew handled the Ferrari folks. In the past, crew have mention that they are relieved when a charter disembarks and the regular clientele returns.

I believe the Sojourn was chartered to Marlboro who sponsors Ferrari at the Grand Prix.

We were told that is was "Phillip Morris" that chartered it. :)

In either case, Seabourn's smoking policy needs to be reconsidered.

Azamara Quest was in Monaco yesterday for the race. Azamara does an annual 5 night Monaco F1 cruise. It's a great long weekend get away for us Europeans :) There was a ship from Silversea at anchor in the bay as well, and one of the "little sisters", now sailing for Windstar I think? Also, Seadream 2 was there and a large sailboat, also from Windstar. And then of course there was the chartered Seabourn ship docked at the pier.

Floris

Edited by florisdekort