Ruins in Cozumel or Costa Maya

Praise God

I am trying to finalize our excursions on the Getaway on the 12th. I want one day to be a beach day and one day to do ruins. Which place has better ruins? Cozumel or Costa Maya? The other place I will do the beach day and/or scuba.

Thank you for your thoughts.

We have seen ruins in both places. In Cozumel, we have seen Chichen Iza. In Costa Maya we have seen Kohunlich. Both were amazing.

Seeing pictures may help you decide. Take a look at the slide shows my wife made for her website at the links below.

Cozumel - Chichen Itza

Costa Maya - Kohunlich

Edited by JimAOk1945

We have seen ruins in both places. In Cozumel, we have seen Chichen Iza. In Costa Maya we have seen Kohunlich. Both were amazing.

Seeing pictures may help you decide. Take a look at the slide shows my wife made for her website at the links below.

Cozumel - Chichen Itza

Costa Maya - Kohunlich

Did you do either of these while on a cruise? My understanding is Chichen Itza is way too far for a port day. Even Tulum should be done as a ship excursion from Cozumel because it is a very long day.

We have seen the ruins at both Cozumel, and Chacchoben. Both are impressive, and unique unto themselves. You will have to get to both of them by bus, and the bus ride is roughly an hour each way.

But to get to Tulum, (Cozumel) you have to take the ferry to get to the mainland before getting on the bus, which is another 30-40 mins. each way.

Tulum is the larger of the two as far as the area of the site, but you have an added bonus of the Caribbean sea, which is at the bottom of the cliff behind the main temple.

Another option, which I don't know if you would/could even consider, are the ruins at Belize (Lamanai). This too is a large layout, but you can climb the ruins here, which you can't at the other two. Impressive and unique as well. It too is another long day.

Whatever you choose, take the ship excursion, and bring lots of water, because it will be hot and humid.

Hope this helps! :)

I have been to 5 different Mayan sites.

For a CRUISE excursion, I would recommend doing Chacchoben from Costa Maya.

Use Native Choice - they are the best option. The owners and founders David and Ivan are both natives of Chacchoben and Ivan actually grew up around the actual ruins site.

I would HIGHLY reccomend their Mayan Experience Tour which includes a trip to the nearby modern Mayan village with a fabulous lunch.

Tulum is a great site, but quite a long trip to make as an excursion from Cozumel, which has plenty to do for beach options.

Chitzen Itza is the gran-daddy of them all but you can't do them from a cruise ship.

Did you do either of these while on a cruise? My understanding is Chichen Itza is way too far for a port day. Even Tulum should be done as a ship excursion from Cozumel because it is a very long day.

Yes, we did both while on different cruises and booked them each through the cruise line since they are very long excursions due to the distances and travel time required. We also took ship sponsored excursions to Tulum (Cozumel) and Lamanai (Belize) on our cruises.

Your can make a choice depending on your time in port and the travel time involved to the site you wish to see. If you book a ship sponsored excursion, you will be guaranteed that your ship will be waiting for your group to return.

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel - Chichen Itza

Costa Maya - Kohunlich

Thanks, I looked at the picture for Kohunlich and they were great. There isn't a ship sponsored trip to Chichen Itza on NCL Getaway in Cozumel and looking how far it is, I wouldn't be comfortable trying on my own to get a tour there.

I looked up Native Choice and like what I see. I am going with a group of 9 people so I have to see if they are willing to do the long drive to Kohunlich, otherwise we'll do the Chacchoben.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Only a couple days left and we'll be sailing!!!

Chichen Itza is incredible, we went there while on a land vacation in Cancun.

On our cruise last month we went on a NCL excursion to Lamanai in Belize. It was also very good, not as "incredible" as Chichen Itza, but still very cool!! It was a long day, a bus to a boat, lots of walking, back on the boat to lunch (which was vey good) and bus back to the ship. I think it was a 7-8 hour trip.

I was also going to suggest the lamanai ruins in Belize also! It was great and climbing to the top was an amazing experience. You take a small boat ride on the river to the ruins. Cozumel and Costa Maya are good ports for beach days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion on ruins in Belize, but I wanted to do the cave tubing in Belize. Beach days aren't that important for me. I will get enough in Cozumel. A couple hours is plenty. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm the "travel agent" for my family.

Thanks, I looked at the picture for Kohunlich and they were great. There isn't a ship sponsored trip to Chichen Itza on NCL Getaway in Cozumel and looking how far it is, I wouldn't be comfortable trying on my own to get a tour there.

I looked up Native Choice and like what I see. I am going with a group of 9 people so I have to see if they are willing to do the long drive to Kohunlich, otherwise we'll do the Chacchoben.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Only a couple days left and we'll be sailing!!!

I will be on the June 12th sailing, too! My boyfriend and I are doing a beach day in Cozumel and the Ruins in Costa Maya.

Mr. Sancho's Beach Club we booked a VIP, All Inclusive ticket in Cozumel. & in Costa Maya we booked through Native Choice an excursion to see the ruins and go on a kayak tour.

I will be on the June 12th sailing, too! My boyfriend and I are doing a beach day in Cozumel and the Ruins in Costa Maya.

Mr. Sancho's Beach Club we booked a VIP, All Inclusive ticket in Cozumel. & in Costa Maya we booked through Native Choice an excursion to see the ruins and go on a kayak tour.

Wow, maybe I'll see you. I didn't sign up for the roll call. We are using Native Choice as well, but decided to go to the Dzibanche Maya Ruins because it should be less crowded and on the website it says it's the only one you can climb on all of the ruins.

Cozumel I hope to go scuba diving and they will fend for themselves.

Thanks again everyone for your help!