Reflection Review May 16th Sailing Eastern Med

Ranasa

Pluto-fan: it looked like the museum was open but I can't confirm. Sorry. We visited so many museums by the time we got to Bodrum we were a little burned out.

I completely understand! :) We'll just see when we get there.

Bogofman...as Steve pointed out, that page says they're closed on Mondays. I'm just hoping they might make an exception when a ship is in port. No one seems to know for sure.

The sommelier in Luminae was Gabriel. He was great. Since we had the premium package, we'd just tell him what we were eating and he would bring us appropriate pairings. He did not stick to the wines by the glass list at all. After leaving Greece, he brought us a wine to try that was a local wine. We never heard any noise at all (I'm assuming you are referring to our stateroom) from above. Maybe twice, early in the morning, I heard a whooshing noise outside the stateroom, like water flushing quickly but I only noticed it when I was awake, it never woke me up.

Can those who have arrive on Reflection in Athens this year let me know which dock the ship stops at.

is it the furthest dock away that has the large car park opposite and the bus stop to get the local bus into Athens?

Bogofman , last week Reflection docked at Terminal b and I heard the tour guide mention that the large cruise ships always dock there with the other terminal for inter island ferries etc. I could nt see the bus stop for the X80 but I'm sure it somewhere. There were several hop on hop off firms attending the area such so Sights of Athens.

• 2 weeks later...

Ranada: We depart Monday 2 adults and 2 kids 9 and 12, same cruise. First time on Celebrity so booked a Signature Suite. 1) Can you exchange USD for local currency on the ship and 2) Any tips for us being first time? We have a lot of ship and private excursions planned. Thanks!

You can exchange US$ for Euros on the ship and there is an ATM at guest relations that disburses Euros (but there is a fee). Not sure about Turkey Lira, we just used US$ and Euros to pay for things. At some locations in Turkey they had signs, Euros = US$ (signs were posted in Euros but you could pay in US$ for the same price) and we gave tips to the tour guide and driver in US$.

Note, I used ATM's to get Euros. There are machines at FCO after you clear immigration and customs on the right had side as you exit. I also used ATM's at other locations / ports without any problems or excessive fees.

• 2 weeks later...

i know that you are afraid that you might miss the ship, but you have to try smaller tours; they are beyond words to describe , along with being less expensive. Also you get so much more information and meet some great people...Were you looking at those videos sharing people who actually did miss their cruises? Many tours nowadays guarantee that you will not miss the ship or they take full responsibility.:D:cool:

Excellent review - to the point!

Loved your very informative review. I am thinking of book an Ephesus tour, do you have any suggestions? We will be cruising on July 8, 2016.

Thanks

Recommend Ephesus shuttle. We visited May off the Refection. Great day. Professional, informative, friendly tour guide. Not to be missed. Hope you get the opportunity. Can book directly with them or join group through your Celebrity roll-call

Thanks for your review; sounds like you had a great trip. We're looking forward to the same itinerary later this month.

Question for you...I believe you were in Bodrum on a Monday (is that correct?). Did you happen to notice if the castle/museum was open that day? I'm afraid it won't be, but still hoping. :(

I went to the castle on a Monday. The only thing to be careful is the staff go on lunch between 12pm-1pm, so most of the rooms are closed during that time.

I went to the castle on a Monday. The only thing to be careful is the staff go on lunch between 12pm-1pm, so most of the rooms are closed during that time.

The website for the castle/museum states that they are closed on Mondays, so I assume this is wrong into from them then? How strange.

I was there June 13th, which was a Monday. I remember having the same thought that the museum was closed, but did a bit more research and found out they are open during the summer since 2015.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298658-i765-k8418984-Castle_of_St_Peter-Bodrum_City_Bodrum_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

The castle is about a 0.5 to an hour walk and can be seen when the ship is docked.

20160613_085944_zpsgtm790bb.jpg

IMG_1155_zpsjaadg2el.jpg

Edited by GateGuardian

I enjoyed your review. We have done 13 Celebrity cruises but still haven't done a Med cruise - - one of these days...

I have to encourage you to hopefully get over your "extreme paranoia" about the missing the boat thing.

Most of our most fabulous days of vacation EVER have been on small private excursions.

I have to tell you -- these good tours, found by people on your Roll Call here or Trip Advisor, etc. are in the business full time to take people around. They would be OUT of business if they got people to the ship late.

In nearly all instances if there are multiple places they visit on the tour, the farthest one from the port is the first they go to and they work their way in. Where people get in trouble is if they rent a car and underestimate traffic (St. Maarten e.g.) or lose track of time and stay too long somewhere and can't get a taxi back in time. The highly rated small van excursions that we've been on are so much better than a big bus. I'd rather do nothing at all than get on a big bus with 50 other people.

There *are* some places where a Celebrity tour is definitely recommended, or some excursions. The ferry through two locks of the Panama Canal is one. One can't predict the traffic at the canal so the excursion can run hours late. It's good, but you do have to use Celebrity's.

Also some are unique. And a great many are excursions run by the same company the ship uses, but for less $$. We've encountered that many times.

Try it next time.

Hi there

On Reflection in 2 months.

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to go to a Hamam in Bodrum?

I would love to experience it but a bit nervous.

My husband is so NOT keen so might try and see if any other ladies onboard are keen and find someone to go with!

If anyone has done- any you would or would not recommend?

Adele (NZ)

When you overnight in Athens, is there a time that you have to be back on board the first night? Or are you free to come back as late as you would like?

Thank you for all the great info.

I think you could stay out as long as you wanted but I do recall there was an issue with which terminal we were docked at and where you needed to gain re-entry after hours. We were back on the ship fairly early (before 6pm). Maybe someone else can help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there

On Reflection in 2 months.

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to go to a Hamam in Bodrum?

I would love to experience it but a bit nervous.

My husband is so NOT keen so might try and see if any other ladies onboard are keen and find someone to go with!

If anyone has done- any you would or would not recommend?

Adele (NZ)

Hi there we went to a Turkish bath in Istanbul, although we have spent many hours laughing about it, it is not something I would repeat.

We expected to be able to wear our swimming costumes, but were told in no uncertain terms no!!!! They give you the most awkward wooden thong shoes to walk in.

We were taken into this very old historical enormous room, we sat on a tiled floor in all our glory, until two middle aged ladies arrived to scrub 99% of us, while we slid around on a tiled floor, they also washed our hair with lemon washing up liquid at best, my hair was like straw afterwards.

My husband went to a different area and kept his shorts

on but they walked up and down his legs which was agony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was there June 13th, which was a Monday. I remember having the same thought that the museum was closed, but did a bit more research and found out they are open during the summer since 2015.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298658-i765-k8418984-Castle_of_St_Peter-Bodrum_City_Bodrum_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

The castle is about a 0.5 to an hour walk and can be seen when the ship is docked.

20160613_085944_zpsgtm790bb.jpg

IMG_1155_zpsjaadg2el.jpg

This is hopeful, as I'll be there on a Monday in September. The problem is that the museum's own website still says it is closed on Mondays. Maybe it's updated by the same people who do the Celebrity site.