Walking to Briksdal glacier

Beachmad

Can someone tell me how the walk is and whether it takes 45 mins there and back or 45 mins one way then t'other?

We are on the excursion for this, its a coach trip so far then you walk the rest of the way to the glacier, am wondering whether I should have booked the troll car instead.

Thanks

Can someone tell me how the walk is and whether it takes 45 mins there and back or 45 mins one way then t'other?

We are on the excursion for this, its a coach trip so far then you walk the rest of the way to the glacier, am wondering whether I should have booked the troll car instead.

Thanks

The coach takes you to the car park. if you do the troll car, this is where you have to pick that up, but even with that you have to walk a way to the glacier.

From the car park walking I would guess is about 30mins-45mins one way, some of it over rough ground.

Don't want to disappoint but when we went they last year you could just see the end of it over the top of the hill/mountain. Global warning I guess. The other scenery is stunning, that not so.

We opted to walk from the coach drop-off in the car park. It was a good 45 mins plus each way at a steady pace, not a slow amble, with some steep inclines and rough ground. We're fairly active and fit 50-somethings with no mobility issues. Even from the troll car drop-off it's still a good 10 minute or so walk.

I was there last week and did that walk up to the glacier and endorse what groovechic has said. I have tried to post a piccie of what the glacier was like last week, but sorry I can't.

You can book the troll car at the car park if you decide to .... some people took the troll car up and walked down.

Edited by Scriv

Thanks all for your replies, really helpful.

Scriv, do you need to book in advance for the troll car? There will be only our ship (Britannia) in Olden that day.

I wonder if P&O will let you change your excursion to another one.

Thanks

There is no problem about booking the troll car directly at the car park on the day if you decide to take it.

We went up to this carpark by the Glacier Express Shuttle bus which we booked on the day at the port pier and made our decision then whether to walk or take the troll..... we decided to walk up, but in all honesty it cannot be described as 'an easy stroll'. It is quite steep in places. Easier on the way down.

The P&O coach will also bring you to this same car park so you can decide then about the troll car depending on how you feel when you see the slope....

As groovechick also says, there is still a good walk of about 10 mins to do once the troll car gets you up from the carpark to the glacier to get to the point where you are close to the lake and the glacier.

I am pleased we went up there.

Edited by Scriv

We didn't do the P&O tour, we got one of the mini vans at the dock then just booked the troll car when we got to the glacier. The way up was very scenic but quite steep, and even when we got off the car there was still a 20 minute or so walk to the glacier. I have no mobility issues, but I wouldn't want to do the whole walk up and back unless I knew I could allow at least an hour to amble up, time at the top, then an hour back down, and not be rushing to get back for a pick up.

• 2 weeks later...

Cancel the shorex and save a lot of money.

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/glacier-bus-stryn-briksdal/6158/

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2233136

Plenty of time to go and see the Glacier, but make sure you are back in time, the driver doesn't wait even though it's the same one that took you up and is just waiting.

it worked out Ok for us last year.

Thee are two ways up, one easier than the other. I thought I had picked the difficult one till I saw sections of the other. I managed both up and down though, even with very dodgy knees. Wear sensible shoes though. Some people were walking it in flipflops!!

Edited by Host Sharon

Wear sensible shoes though. Some people were walking it in flipflops!!

Good advice, even if you do the troll car, there is still 10 minutes walk from where it stops.

Take cagoules as well, it started a lovely day, but got very damp up there later. that fine drizzle that wets you through.

Here is a pic of the glacier in June last year.

57e8232ccab685738e460593b35efc85.jpg

It was a little underwhelming.

We only took the ships tour as someone kindly gave us their tickets. However we had planned to get the bus.

One point about the troll cars, when we arrived at the car park there was a sign saying the troll cars were fully booked all day.

We enjoyed the walk and the waterfall however we would not have been that happy if we had paid top whack for the ships excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is alarming to see just how much it has receded since my visit in 2008. Then it was at the water's edge.

Yes, we could see. :( They have boards marking the points where the glacier once was.

Edited by Scriv

We are undecided whether to go to the glacier but if we do take the local bus can we be sure that the bus will have space to take us down again?

Is there a mini bus service? I thought that I read something recently but can't find the thread now.

Yes, there is a glacier minibus shuttle which you can book on the day at Olden pier. It goes up to the Briksdal Glacier car park and you can walk up from there or take the Troll Cars up to the glacier from there.

The regular bus service wasn't running when we were there in May, so I can't advise on that. Sorry.

Whatever you do, enjoy.