PandO Blue Funnel v's Thomson Blue Funnel

goodsailors

When sailing into Gibraltar last week I saw the blue funnel of a ship already dock and wondered what P and O ship it was. As we docked alongside it turned out to be the blue funnel of Thomson Spirit.

Surely the powers at be at P and O never intended for their ships to be confused with Thomson ships or does the episode with Ant and Dec earlier this year suggest that maybe they do.

The essential difference is that the Thomson blue funnels work well as part of the livery and P&O's mostly don't!.

If you consider the corporate logos the 'Tui' one contrasts well with the plain blue background but the P&O 'rising sun' just does not work on funnels with open slatted sides. The definition of the logo is lost against the complex background.

Before the latest livery many including me were confused between P&O and Costa because both had yellow funnels.

The Thomson brand will be rebranded TUI in a year or so anyway.

When sailing into Gibraltar last week I saw the blue funnel of a ship already dock and wondered what P and O ship it was. As we docked alongside it turned out to be the blue funnel of Thomson Spirit.

Surely the powers at be at P and O never intended for their ships to be confused with Thomson ships or does the episode with Ant and Dec earlier this year suggest that maybe they do.

Unless its changed Thomson is light blue with a smile on it. P and O is dark blue with a rising sun.

Not sure you could confuse the 2. Thomson is also a much older ship and a lot smaller. Very few if any balconies.

Or are you Just trying to be "funny". Having travelled on both lines, Thomson does have its plus points, but in no way is Thomson anywhere near Pando .

Yes there is a slight difference in the shade of blue but I guess I should have looked at the bow of the ship to be sure it was not a P and O, no garish Union Flag on the Thomson ship.

Was always able to tell the difference betweenP and O and Costa as the funnels were a different design to P and O.

is it just me or is there a hint of snobbery in the original post,i have done 5 cruises with thomson and enjoyed every one,in 2 weeks time i will be holidaying with p&o for the first time and if the levels of service match that given on a thomson ship i will be delighted,to be honest i am treating it as a level higher but i would not hesitate to book with thomson again,and im still slightly baffled how you mistook the spirit with a p&o ship.

is it just me or is there a hint of snobbery in the original post,i have done 5 cruises with thomson and enjoyed every one,in 2 weeks time i will be holidaying with p&o for the first time and if the levels of service match that given on a thomson ship i will be delighted,to be honest i am treating it as a level higher but i would not hesitate to book with thomson again,and im still slightly baffled how you mistook the spirit with a p&o ship.

We have also travelled from Thompson a Fe w times. As we now like balconies it was the a bit of a lost cause on spirit. The other Thompson ships may have some, but once you are talking about booking that on Thompson ships their prices were not cheap enough for us to stick with them. Pay a bit more and have pando.

Also prefer the dress code on pando. One dress up if you feel like it, is not enough for me.

Although we did a cruise from Newcastle once on Thompson, we prefer Southampton and Thompson do not sail from there.

Thomson have RCI Splendour of the Seas now to be TUI Discovery and sets sail 11th June. I've been on SOTS and going on her with Thomson in October. Thomson have just acquired RCI Legend of the Seas as well this week.

Thanks - didn't know that. Have just had a look on Youtube and it looks like a nice ship to be fair. Less of a fair ground and more of a ship. Now if TUI buy some of these ships (and her sister ships) for the British market, with the balconies i.e., they would tempt us as their itineraries are always really good. If they sailed from somewhere further North, even more so.

Edited by Presto2

And the beauty of a Thomson cruise is that you can have a week on a beach afterwards!!

Tried that in the OV2 with a 7 night stay and 7 night cruise. Really wish we hadn't and done the 14 night cruise now ... unless we can do a 21 day holiday :-)