Breakdown of New Gratuity Rates

Banjo

I believe the staff work very hard and I won't begrudge them the tip. In fact, we usually tip above and beyond what is put on the bill.

I do think it is a strange to add a fee after booking--but if you are trying to provide a consistent raise to staff, it would be hard to do so if not all cabins were paying the increased tip, yet.

There may be merit in calling it a "service fee" though one person's post mentioned that could have tax implications.

I will say that if I'm in a restaurant and they automatically add 18%, I pay it...but it is really too bad for the server as I normally round up from 20% to the next dollar. Then again, I'm from the US and am used to tipping as it is expected here.

Edited by PostcardJar

Let us make an assumption that the majority of X cruisers take 7 day cruises (one could argue this point). So in most cases, the increase in gratuities will total $7.70 a couple (for a 7 day cruise. Not sure its worth all the ranting. Our only currently booked X cruise is 14 days....so we are really "furious" that we will have to pay $15.40 more over two weeks! The nerve!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have been on Princess lately getting to Elite -(Elite already on X) and I guess I don't remember suites being $17 pp per day - wow princess is $13.50 and yes I know they do not have a butler we travel in suites on both lines - I'm all about tipping but almost $20 pp per day seems to be getting high