Breakdown of New Gratuity Rates

Banjo

Tipping culture in UK is certainly different as minimum wage is £7.20 an hour and cannot include tips. They are on top. People remove the service charge to tip in cash direct to wait staff as the employer then cannot take expenses out of the tip before passing it on. Tips are for good service and are even then not usually in excess of 10%. However on an American run ship we always go with American ethos and leave " gratuities" on and tip a little extra at the end. We did pay the 10% in St Petersburg on our tour but it seemed a lot of money.

It is also customary to leave hotel workers, coat check attendants, drivers and hotel housekeeping staff a generous tip.

[edited]

A generous tip? customary?

So no matter the service you should tip generously?

And $1-2 is generous?

There it is. Proof that tipping is an irrational behaviour.

As I said in an earlier post, I am now not tipping any extra as I used to do. It will take another 2 to 3 tip increases by the cruise lines to catch up to what I used to give extra. I don't think the service crew really wins much in the long run. This is just a way for the cruise lines to lower any raises to the crew.

In many restaurants the service charge is discretionary and many people have it removed and tip the wait staff directly (if they've had good service). If I leave the service charge on then I don't tip as well. In Britain, we tip for good service, not as a top up for wages.
Just shows how different countries are and that one should really do research before they travel. We don't have service charges on restaurant bills, where some restaurants in Europe do. Our service staff has a small base salary and makes the majority of their salary on tips and in Europe many countries don't tip or tip very little, because the salaries are larger. One restaurant chain here tried to raise the prices of the food and pay the servers more, instead of having tipping, and it didn't work (service just wasn't up to par) and they are going back to the old tipping policy. I don't think either way is wrong, just different and that is why research is very important.

BTW, I would never take a service charge off a bill, I just broached the question to make the point that even though it is not in our culture to have a service charge, we would still pay it when traveling, unlike some from non-tipping countries who won't tip, because they don't in their country.

[edited]

A generous tip? customary?

So no matter the service you should tip generously?

And $1-2 is generous?

There it is. Proof that tipping is an irrational behaviour.

You would have to ask the writer of the article your questions.

Just shows how different countries are and that one should really do research before they travel. We don't have service charges on restaurant bills, where some restaurants in Europe do. Our service staff has a small base salary and makes the majority of their salary on tips and in Europe many countries don't tip or tip very little, because the salaries are larger. One restaurant chain here tried to raise the prices of the food and pay the servers more, instead of having tipping, and it didn't work (service just wasn't up to par) and they are going back to the old tipping policy. I don't think either way is wrong, just different and that is why research is very important.

BTW, I would never take a service charge off a bill, I just broached the question to make the point that even though it is not in our culture to have a service charge, we would still pay it when traveling, unlike some from non-tipping countries who won't tip, because they don't in their country.

Many restaurants in the US have added service charges in the last few years. 18% is typical. Some people don't realize it because there is still a line item for a tip. I usually tip 20% for great service. Now if I see a service fee that's what they get. I save 2%.

Many restaurants in the US have added service charges in the last few years. 18% is typical. Some people don't realize it because there is still a line item for a tip. I usually tip 20% for great service. Now if I see a service fee that's what they get. I save 2%.
I live in Arizona and have not seen it yet nor have I seen any restaurants who have raised their prices and have a no tipping policy. Apparently restaurants in Florida (where they get a lot of tourists from out of the country who don't tip) did it, but I think in 2013 or 2014 there is some IRS ruling about it and some have stopped the practice.

What I found amazing was that at the Caesar's properties in Las Vegas, they automatically added an 18% gratuity to the buffet. That was last September, so I don't know if they are still doing it or not. I understand why they are doing it, but I think 18% is way too much for a buffet. For Caesar's Palace, that would mean a $9 tip per person.

When we were on the Reflection's TA we initially added extra gratuity to the bills in the restaurants when we got great service. Then one of the waiters told us on the side that by tipping that way it goes into the pool, not to the individual server. We confirmed that with another waiter in another specialty restaurant. From then on we carried cash to do extra tipping.

I just got off the Summit and had the same thing happen, daily gratuity charges changing mid week, also other random charges on our account. Something was going on with their computers and we had to go to the desk to get then fixed.

As for tips, we tipped the cabin steward & assistant & waiter & assistant as well as the maitre d a bit extra for the excellent service.

The issue was not the extra tip amounts but that random amounts appeared on our daily bills.

Have to write this. I think some posters still feel that because in UK or Europe, there's no tipping, then it translates to the cruise ship. But don't forget, Celebrity is a cruise ship run by Americans and by American standard tipping is essential and is part of the total salary. Just because you're from a country that doesn't tip does not mean you don't ever, or only do so ocassionally when the service is "exceptional" or "above and beyond".

For instance, do you not tip the 15% when you visit restaurants in the USA or Canada?

To the poster who chastised me about tipping in St. Petersburg - Are you kidding me? You don't tip tour guide when you assume tipping is not required in that country? Believe me, I've traveled enough to know you should tip regardless of where you are visiting (with the possibly exception of Japan, and even so, I'd still do). Tour guides that cater to cruise ship passengers especially US and Canada DO EXPECT a tip. And why not, it's gratuity, or gratitude towards a service rendered. Please don't be so "frugal".

Am quite surprised at some of the posts here, really an eye opener.

Edited by lisalovlee33

I find it utterly remarkable that people who cruise do not accept that it is customary to pay a gratuity for services rendered.

With the advent of free style dining, the cruise lines had to come up with a scheme to collect tips fairly. People no longer had assigned waiters etc for the duration of their trip. Also, it had ALWAYS been a problem on the last night when people disappear and fail to leave any tips. The people who provide services depend upon gratuities as part of their earnings (same as in the US, where it is one of the very few jobs where it is legally allowable for employers to pay less than minimum wage. )

If you do not have the money to pay for pre-paid tips than you can not afford to take the cruise.

Further, for those that "think" the cruise line distributes the gratuities to other than service people, I would like to know why you think that to be true. What evidence do you have of that?

The reason it is called a gratuity or tip is because that has a very specific meaning and it distributed for that purpose. If it were to be called a "service fee" then it would be subject to many other distribution purposes and would be taxed differently by the recipients.

That said, as an attorney, I have great respect for contracts and contractual agreements. I think it is wrong for Celebrity to have applied a gratuity rate that is in excess of the amount that any individual passenger has contracted for. And by that I mean the date you signed your contract. Although most people would not begrudge the service people the increase I would imagine.

My ta informed me that if gratuities are added into the final price by June 13th, the old rate will be honored for booked upcoming cruises. Just sayin.....

Funny how now when we go to pubs and restaurants in the UK they are quite happy to add 10% to the bill without asking!

it's not mandatory here in the uk, you can decline it, minimum living wage is £7.20 per hour. But if we've glad great service we leave it and give more.

Same with the ship, pay the automatic and we tip many others more also.

At Port of Miami, I had one of the porters include as part of his spiel when taking my bags that now was the time to give him his gratuity. I had fully intended to give him $ per bag and had it in my hand ready to go but instead went to his supervisor and complained. Another porter was summoned to finish the transaction, and he got the tip. It's inappropriate to beg customers for cash, period. Most businesses hate when they find out that their employees are doing it. I wish more people would report those rogue employees because, in addition to being extremely rude, it's not fair to their fellow workers.

I had the same experience once at Port Canaveral, as we were unloading the luggage and the porter said to me "tell that man (my dad who was coming with us) that tip goes to me". We were on vacation so I let it go but porters like that shouldn't be working in a service industry for tips.

My ta informed me that if gratuities are added into the final price by June 13th, the old rate will be honored for booked upcoming cruises. Just sayin.....

Well, I'm fairly certain that ta's only go by what they were last told by the cruise line or a colleague. That does not make it contractually compliant. Unless the contract says that you will accept any increase between the date you sign the contract and the date of completing your trip, then you are not liable for the increase.

To those that claim they are not from the US and should therefore not be liable for US customs, that is not logical. We choose to not live in a bubble when we travel. Therefore, you choose to become liable for understanding the laws and customs of where you travel to. Celebrity is a US managed cruise line and is run according to US customs. The customs in the UK, Australia, or Zooboobie...are irrelevant.

Edited by Fish Lover

Your TA is correct.

But they might need to be paid, not just added to the cruise price.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq551

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

** Please note that beginning June 14, 2016 for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2016, that gratuities will increase to the following:

•$13.50 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $14.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass®staterooms

• $17.00 per person, per day in Suite Class

Prepay your gratuities by June 13 to lock in the current rate before it adjusts by calling 1-800-647-2251, logging into your My Celebrity account, or by contacting your travel agent. As of June 14, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Please note that if you have already prepaid your gratuities or have received them through a sales promotion that you will not incur any additional automatic daily gratuity charges once onboard.

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Edited by chamima

This post is silly. If you go out to eat (where I live) and have a party of 6 or more...18% is added to your bill. When the bill comes, there is still a tip line. That is if you feel your waiter/waitress deserves more (the envelopes).

The waitress/waiter then tips the bar for drinks, the hostess for seating, and the bus boy for cleaning.

My point is, the waiter/waitress is Celebrity. They give it down to the people who were going to be taking care of you regardless. The 18% on drinks, that is not something that is included, that drink is extra so you pay 18% on that to go to the bartender.

Tipping has been around for ages. Sure I would love envelopes. I would tip properly. But I am not the majority. Not everyone tips. Some are from countries where you don't tip. And since tipping supplements the workers income, it makes no sense to leave their income in the hands of people who don't understand.

55 cents is .00055% of a $1000.00 fare. It isn't even worth the argument. Its nothing.

The bigger issue is that we were in a recession; prices were much lower due to supply/demand. Now, unfortunately, everything is going up, so for some people this is irritating, and the level of concern comes out in their though processes in a negative way. Those who don't enjoy their money increasing at the same rate. It saddens some to feel like they might have to give up some of the things they enjoy, especially without a way to earn this additional income. I once met a lady who told me that you just can't have too much money, and you should keep working as long as you can for the money, along with the benefit of feeling that your life has a purpose. I took her words to heart! I will always be doing something to feel that I can do the things I want to do in life, as long as I can. Of course, you also have those that have plenty of money, but what to go to the grave with it! It is all a choice...:)

Edited by Lastdance

I think part of the problem is that many in the U.S. are just getting tired of the ever expanding tipping environment. We all realize waiters' salaries are less than the minimum wage rate, with the balance expected to be made up through tips. What drives me nuts is how everyone who deals with the public now seems to believe they are entitled to a tip. I'm sorry but in my mind the clerk in the cupcake store who simply puts a cupcake in a bag, hands it to me and collects the money does not 'deserve' a gratuity.

My only question when the cruise lines instituted the "mandatory" gratuities line on your bill as a daily charge was how they implemented it through the employees' wages. In other words, did their salaries remain the same, with the gratuities added to that amount? Or, did the cruise lines reduce the wages they were paying the employees by the amount they were now going to get as part of the mandatory gratuities so the employees simply received the same salary they had gotten before (this would especially apply to workers who had not, in the past, received tips such as kitchen workers)? If this happened to be the case then the cruise lines simply shifted part of their cost structure to their customers outside the stated price of their product (much the way our local utility recently added a monthly charge for "managing the customers' accounts"; something they had always done as part of running their business, and they certainly didn't lower what I was paying for the actual utilities provided).

Fine! Now I won't give an extra tip at the end of the cruise to cabin guy or waiters.

Sounds like you are willing to let tipping, etc , spiral out of of control, because people can afford a cruise.

Well pretty much every day I read "If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise" so it seems a common opinion of the tip police.

I don't believe this has anything to do with "tip police". If you go to a restaurant, where the wage is $2.10 per hour, do you not tip? Those tips also go into a pool for all the wait staff, kitchen, and busboys. If you don't tip, the restaurant assumes you did, and 18% is taken from the wage on that table and put into the pool.I'm not talking about fast food restaurants.

i find it utterly remarkable that people who cruise do not accept that it is customary to pay a gratuity for services rendered.

With the advent of free style dining, the cruise lines had to come up with a scheme to collect tips fairly. People no longer had assigned waiters etc for the duration of their trip. Also, it had always been a problem on the last night when people disappear and fail to leave any tips. The people who provide services depend upon gratuities as part of their earnings (same as in the us, where it is one of the very few jobs where it is legally allowable for employers to pay less than minimum wage. )

if you do not have the money to pay for pre-paid tips than you can not afford to take the cruise.

Further, for those that "think" the cruise line distributes the gratuities to other than service people, i would like to know why you think that to be true. What evidence do you have of that?

The reason it is called a gratuity or tip is because that has a very specific meaning and it distributed for that purpose. If it were to be called a "service fee" then it would be subject to many other distribution purposes and would be taxed differently by the recipients.

That said, as an attorney, i have great respect for contracts and contractual agreements. I think it is wrong for celebrity to have applied a gratuity rate that is in excess of the amount that any individual passenger has contracted for. And by that i mean the date you signed your contract. Although most people would not begrudge the service people the increase i would imagine.

Well pretty much every day I read "If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise" so it seems a common opinion of the tip police.

This doesn't have anything to do with the so called "tip police". IMHO, it's doing what the host culture suggests...that being Celebrity cruiseline. And that culture is based upon U.S. tipping guidelines.

When I am in a different country, I read in advance about their cultures. I tip or don't tip accordingly. I don't want to offend. I may have my own personal preferences, but it isn't about me...it's about the respect of that particular culture.

A tip should be determimed by the guest. A mandatory fee is not a tip. It is just another added charge. Prepaying a tip is not a tip. While I will agree that the staff deserves being paid for good service , I think that cruise lines should add the amount that they want to pass onto the servers in the form of added resort/cruise fee...or just include it in the basic cruise fare.