Breakdown of New Gratuity Rates

Banjo

A 55¢/day increase means tipping is spiralling out of control?? Has that "slippery slope" really gotten that steep, or am I missing something here?

Yes you are, it has been almost two years in a row now that tips have increased. It is not a question if we can afford the small increases, X and the other companies can now use us more, to give income increases to the crew. I don't have a solution, but I don't like changes in midstream ,especially when I have already booked ahead. Most people are indifferent to the tip increases because they are getting them paid in the perks that X has been adding to bookings the last few years. We use inside cabins frequently which never gets them. Many repeat cruisers that are here on CC, I noticed are Balcony and Suite buyers, so I realize the small price increases don't faze them at all. There is more talk about which brand of alcohol is used in the premium drink packages then this issue, so I realize I am beating a dead horse concerning tip increases.

What we find strange is why Aqua and Concierge should pay higher rates for tips. On most of the ships these are just normal cabins...with a few extra perks...that do not add much to the workload of the stewards.

Hank

Is it possible that the stewards in Aqua and Concierge have fewer cabins to clean?

(I don't know - just hypothesizing)

Whatever it is...it's the policy. Either flow with the change, or cancel your future cruise and take your business somewhere else.

It is definitely NOT the policy, it is merely a suggested amount that can be adjusted up or down at guest services. I booked a cruise for next year and plan to adjust the tips to what I believe they should be based on this year when I booked my cruise. I for one think Celebrity has gotten greedy and does not distribute all the gratuity to staff, some goes to incentive programs and their own bottom line.

Is it possible that the stewards in Aqua and Concierge have fewer cabins to clean?

(I don't know - just hypothesizing)

Too late to edit my post but what I meant was that perhaps, if the stewards in Aqua and Concierge had fewer cabins each, they received a little more in gratuities so that they ended up with the same total amount as those servicing other cabins (and the passengers in Concierge and Aqua received a little more service because the stewards had more time for each cabin).

Again - just a possibility.

Go back to the old system of envelops and tip what you really thought the service deserved.

If we go back to the old system, we will have the same thing we did back then....folks not coming down to dinner the last night, so they could keep that $20 bucks or so in their pocket instead of tipping the servers and you will have those from countries that tipping is not in their culture, not tipping as well. Keep the new system, it works well.

I've often seen people wish that the required gratuities were called service charges. I wonder if all complaints would stop if X simply changed what they are called.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

No they would not stop. On NCL they call it a Daily Service Charge and there are just as many complaints about it.

If we go back to the old system, we will have the same thing we did back then....folks not coming down to dinner the last night, so they could keep that $20 bucks or so in their pocket instead of tipping the servers and you will have those from countries that tipping is not in their culture, not tipping as well. Keep the new system, it works well.

That was the system that all cruise lines had for many years! It didn't seem to prevent new crew members getting hired or others quitting. They may have accepted the risk (not liking it though). I have always tipped extra also, so I am not advocating people stiffing the crew. I just wish people wouldn't worry or obsess about the income of crew members and be judgmental about other passengers or how other country's cultures view tipping. I would think most crew members are working on ships because their financial situation is much better here than at home and can support their family. That should be enough for most people to ignore the whole tipping controversy.

That was the system that all cruise lines had for many years! It didn't seem to prevent new crew members getting hired or others quitting. They may have accepted the risk (not liking it though). I have always tipped extra also, so I am not advocating people stiffing the crew. I just wish people wouldn't worry or obsess about the income of crew members and be judgmental about other passengers or how other country's cultures view tipping. I would think most crew members are working on ships because their financial situation is much better here than at home and can support their family. That should be enough for most people to ignore the whole tipping controversy.
Think about it. If it was so successful, then why did most cruise lines change to the daily service charge/gratuity. Why, near empty dining rooms the last night and those that didn't tip the Cabin Stewards.

I too wish folks wouldn't be so judgmental about other country's cultures with regard to tipping, but those countries where they don't tip, seem to, denigrate the US for their tipping cultures (which works fine here), saying their no tipping culture is better. When I'm in another country, I do my research and I follow their tipping culture, just as I would expect those to do when in the US or when on a cruise line where they have the daily service charge/gratuity. In other words, when in Rome, do as the Romans do and don't use your homeland's tipping culture as an excuse to save a few bucks.

This is so true. The argument about the dining room being empty the last night is a fabrication also. Many people skip the last night to pack but in over 80 cruises I never saw a significant amount of empty seats in the dining room on the last night.

Since the majority of people posting on these boards give so much cash above and beyond the suggested amounts it evens out with those that give less the suggested amounts.

This is so true. The argument about the dining room being empty the last night is a fabrication also. Many people skip the last night to pack but in over 80 cruises I never saw a significant amount of empty seats in the dining room on the last night.

Since the majority of people posting on these boards give so much cash above and beyond the suggested amounts it evens out with those that give less the suggested amounts.

I disagree. Without the automatic tips, the crew would be receiving quite a bit less - in my opinion. I am sure we all know of people who still, even with the automatic tips, will go to Customer Service on every cruise, and have it lowered claiming substandard service - and then brag about it like it is a great way to fool the cruiseline.

Edited by Sandtrap328

Just got off the Celebrity Solstice. We had our gratuity prepaid.

But guess what? We were charged gratuity on soft drinks and had gratuity envelopes on our pillow and had all our Celebrity excursion people asking for tips too. We thought that prepaid gratuity meant prepaid. It does not.

We called customer relations when on the boat and they told us that perhaps you would like to leave more gratuity. I explained that the whole point of prepaying the gratuity is to avoid the difficult situation of tipping.

Prepaying your gratuity does not eliminate it.

I disagree. Without the automatic tips, the crew would be receiving quite a bit less - in my opinion. I am sure we all know of people who still, even with the automatic tips, will go to Customer Service on every cruise, and have it lowered claiming substandard service - and then brag about it like it is a great way to fool the cruiseline.
You always have to wonder why they feel the need to make up stories so they don't have to pay the service charge/gratuities and then brag after it....it seems like they want others to pay their share. Edited by NLH Arizona

Just got off the Celebrity Solstice. We had our gratuity prepaid.

But guess what? We were charged gratuity on soft drinks and had gratuity envelopes on our pillow and had all our Celebrity excursion people asking for tips too. We thought that prepaid gratuity meant prepaid. It does not.

We called customer relations when on the boat and they told us that perhaps you would like to leave more gratuity. I explained that the whole point of prepaying the gratuity is to avoid the difficult situation of tipping.

Prepaying your gratuity does not eliminate it.

Research is your friend.

Celebrity's website clearly states that there is an 18% gratuity on beverages, as it is clearly stated where the automatic gratuities go. Celebrity is the same as other cruise lines with regard to automatic gratuities on beverages (it has been this way forever). I don't know any of the mass market cruise lines (NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, etc.) whose's automatic gratuities/service charge includes the beverage gratuities.

Excursion people (unless it is those actually on the ship) are not Celebrity personnel and since they don't work for Celebrity, they don't fall under Celebrity's gratuities.

As far as the envelopes are concerned, some tip extra and some don't, I'm sure Celebrity just puts them there if you choose to use them, but no one is forced to use them nor are you treated differently if you don't use them.

This topic is like politics and religion, almost as fiery and controversial as not wearing jackets and ties on formal nights.

It was good to see everyone get their opinions off their chest. As long as they don't keep raising tips every year things will smooth out!

I think Celebrity should make sure the gratuities are charged MANDATORY on your shipboard account (or pre-paid). When you feel you don't want to pay because of whatever reason, then you go down and get it adjusted. IT's part of the crew's salary, much like the wait staff in North America.

We were on a Australia/NZ cruise, and the captain had to announce that we should tip during the cruise. Because the cruise before nobody tipped (or very little) because it was a lot of Australians and New Zealanders on the ship and they felt they didn't need to. They say in Australia and NZ, nobody tipped so why should they on the ship. Baffling, I know but it's true. When the captain has to make an announcement, you know it's not an isolated case.

On another occassion, while in St. PEtersburg, we took private tour with another Australian couple. Newly weds, the nicest people. After the tour, they didn't tip either, and when we asked them why they hadn't as we all should, and even states so in the tours, they say, we're Austrialians, and we dont tip. I felt so bad for the tour guide, I tipped for them!

On another occassion, while in St. PEtersburg, we took private tour with another Australian couple. Newly weds, the nicest people. After the tour, they didn't tip either, and when we asked them why they hadn't as we all should, and even states so in the tours, they say, we're Austrialians, and we dont tip. I felt so bad for the tour guide, I tipped for them!

why? the tour guides income is part of the price, you have paid..., thats normal in Europe, If the service where superb, you give a little bit - in the 3- 5% range, not more....

A lot of workers here never got a tip in there life...

We had assi't room stewards a week ago!! We had a different (nice) guy who vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom. The room steward had other duties.

I am happy to "pay a bit more" to the hardworking staff. Sorry .55 cents annoys you lol. You seem to know how much the staff make but I am wondering how much you make? You don't actually mean that a 30% raise on a $500 salary means we should all stop tipping? As a Canadian, yes the rates have hit us hard but we don't take out on the crew.

Hi Christine

Just got off Millennium, and no more assistant room stewards.

Totally agree with you about tipping. Our steward was great. Plus take into account all the crew we do not see.

See you in October on Silhouette.

Dick and Rita

How many people in the tip pool?

3 waiters, 2 room attendants, buffet staff, other eatery staff, etc.

Your 15 dollars a day is probably less than 50 cents per person per day that provides you a service. The 50 cent raise is just pennies to the staff.

I've never cut my tips, and often use the envelopes to those that provide me direct service (room stewards, wait staff, bar tenders)

To the rest of you, do what you want, but know the consequences of your decision.

Just rec'd this from my TA. Fortunately 2 of the cruises I have lined up for the next 2 years I have pre payed gratuities.

We booked our so long ago that we still have the $12 pp per day rate! Very happy!!!!:p

I'm spending some $3000.00 for a cruise and then argue about .55 per day. I don't think so.The reason the cruise lines initiated this is because of the people who gave nothing or a ridiculously low amount. Don't give me the argument to include it in the fare, because then the same people would complain about the cost of the cruise going up.

why? the tour guides income is part of the price, you have paid..., thats normal in Europe, If the service where superb, you give a little bit - in the 3- 5% range, not more....

A lot of workers here never got a tip in there life...

Not all countries in Europe are the same and a little research about tipping in Russia and the couple that didn't tip, because they don't do it back home, would know the tipping etiquette in Russia.

You can tip up to the equivalent of 10$ per day (about 300 Rubbles) to the tour guide or driver. Tip directly. http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-russia

You can tip drivers or tour guides up to $10 per day, and housekeeping staff the equivalent of $1 to $2 in Rubles, usually left in an ashtray daily. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294459-s606/Russia:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

It is also customary to leave hotel workers, coat check attendants, drivers and hotel housekeeping staff a generous tip. Drivers and tour guides are usually tipped up to $10 (approximately £6.37) and housekeeping staff are tipped about $1 (approximately 63p) to $2 (approximately £1.27) daily, which is usually left on the bedside table or in an ashtray. http://wikitravel.org/en/Tipping

I don't pay a service charge at a restaurant when I dine here in the United States, so does that mean I shouldn't pay it in Europe to those restaurants that add it, because we don't charge it here?

Edited by NLH Arizona

within the most EU countries, tip is included in the bill already - most of the time you did not see it somestimes its written in the menue....

Again: tipping in europe is diffrent and much lower as in the US because prepaid....

Same with tax, included .... all ad prices are final.....

I don't pay a service charge at a restaurant when I dine here in the United States, so does that mean I shouldn't pay it in Europe to those restaurants that add it, because we don't charge it here?

In many restaurants the service charge is discretionary and many people have it removed and tip the wait staff directly (if they've had good service). If I leave the service charge on then I don't tip as well. In Britain, we tip for good service, not as a top up for wages.