Best Things to Buy Before Cruise

kimma11

We always bring our Skubb boxes from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30300281/). They unzip flat to fit along the walls of the luggage and come in different sizes. We use the largest on the desk to hold chargers, pens, highlighters, sticky pads, etc. The next smaller size is for our nightstands for anything else.

So -- pens, highlighters and even a permanent Sharpie. You never know when you'll need one, and they don't take up much room, either. I keep my supply at the ready in our carry-on bag.

I also start taking Bonine the night before I board the ship.

These are all good to know as well. I do have my OWN list, but I like to see if anyone is suggesting something that I don't "think" of :) I always type up list (what I am taking in my luggage), and then mark each item off, as I am putting it in, with the medicine going on the plane "with" me. I also make up a list of the sea days, days at port, hours etc. This way it gives me an idea how much time (what time I NEED to be back on board) I have to spend at each port. If I find something that someone mentions on here that I normally don't do/take, I make a note of that as well. :)

Absolute, best purchase EVER for our Caribbean cruises...a decent water camera!! It's safe in the sand on the beach, snorkeling or anywhere near water. We paid about $200 and got one that took great pics under water and on dry land. It's the only camera we use for cruises and beach trips now.

Other great buys we discovered:

If you have children with you, walkie talkies. They can go to arcade, etc. and be able to contact you on the ship.

ALWAYS have little packets with cheap ponchos in them. Tropical storms ruin port visits without.

Filtered Britta personal water bottles (the type that have a little filter just inside the lid)

Luggage that can be stored inside each other (like those wooden Russian dolls. Smallest goes in next largest, then those go into next largest, etc). Then shove these under the bed.

Extension cord

Sailing in less than two weeks. I am definitely bringing the dollar store rain ponchos and a supply of OTC meds -pain reliever, immodium, etc. Also spare contact lenses. Otherwise' the more we cruise, we seem to bring fewer and fewer "just in case items"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they are expensive, but my wife and I each have three pairs of Ex Officio undies. They dry overnight, are very lightweight and very comfortable. Saves taking 15-18 sets on a long cruise.

Dan

My wife love the ExOfficio brand and I have a couple pairs myself.

Under Armour is the brand I prefer and I just bought a couple pair of Duluth Trading Bare Naked underwear to try. I haven't had them long enough to know how the longevity will be but they are comfy as well.

I have some UA ones that are 20 plus years old and finally had to throw a pair of them away the other day.:eek:

If you look at how long they last (not to mention how much more comfortably they are) then they aren't really expensive. ;)