Best Things to Buy Before Cruise

kimma11

We don't go anywhere without our locking beach bag any more. We have the large Kyss bag (http://www.kyssbags.com) and it holds absolutely everything we need for the pool or the beach. It's so nice to be able to hook it around a chair and lock it shut and not have to worry about constantly monitoring our stuff just to go into the water for 10 minutes.

We got it AFTER I found myself stuck babysitting our gear on a beach instead of playing in the water with my youngest. I'd seen them before that cruise and didn't get one... totally regretted not having it!

Don't look like a geek (or noob). That's what pockets are for - to hold your card.

HAHAHAH Almost fell out of my chair. I'd like to second this. Pocket, or if you're carrying your phone with you, they sell little silicon stick on card pockets to keep your card nearby.

Personally, I just stick it in my bra (built in pocket!) Deal with it people! :p

Go with clothes that mix and match well over a few days. Easier for us guys but DW has learned the trick too. Cut back on shoes as much as you can live with. If you have 2 formal nights, go all out on only one of them. Go a little more business casual for the other one. Any khaki pant / short is your friend because just about any shirt / blouse will work with it.

I do like 2 bathing suits. Salt water can really smell up a suit, so you might need to alternate between a fresh one and one you rinse and hang.

Unless you just love jeans, I'd leave any denim at home.

Do pack a lightweight jacket or pull-over of some sort. Air conditioning works very well in the showrooms and lounges.

Just double check that you don't forget toiletries and medicines. They may not have your brand and it will be expensive.

Life Jacket. It's best to wear it when you board since you don't know what time you will get your checked luggage.

I'd love to try this just once. The looks I would get. One of those cheap orange ones from Wal-Mart.:D

the best $20 you can spend will be on an inexpensive white noise machine. Get the sound spa from Bed Bath and Beyond. very small and lightweight but has a wide range of sound and volume.

You will be able to sleep no matter what time of day or where your cabin is located !

This is just what I need to have the white noise from a fan - I used to have suitcase big enough that actually held my fan however I can't find one that big anymore so now I have to bring this small fan which does not make nearly enough noise I think between the 2 I will feel like I am at home and will be able to sleep better

Be careful of bringing everything from these lists. What works for us might not work for you and visa versa.

Over the years we've refined our packing. If we're not snorkeling everything fits into 22" bags. With snorkel gear it's a 24" bag.

One thing that can work for everyone is having duplicates for travel. Our travel toiletries are 90% packed at all times.

When we started cruising we took everything on people's list over the years we have fine tuned the list and we now have a list that works for us and sometimes we alter the list based on if we are cruising or traveling by vehicle - When its time for our vacation I always print the list cross off what I don't need and pack - Makes things so easy and ensures I don't forget anything at all

I am very happy to say that our last cruise out we brought and used every item except our swim stuff and the only reason we did not use it was because we were not thinking when we got of the boat about visiting the beach in Freeport

I found little plastic baggies at the dollar store. I put all the necessary meds in each baggie and write on the baggie which medicine is in which. For meds we don't take often, I cut the directions off the container and put them inside the baggie so we know the dosage. All the little baggies go inside a nice compact carrying case. This helps to save room by not packing all the containers of meds.

I just found these and saved quite a bit of space packing this time around. Just put the name of medicine and dosage on the bag in sharpie. Never really need a whole box or bottle so just 4 or 5 just in case so this works great. Will refill when I get home and leave it packed for next cruise!

I'm embarrassed to admit we had 7 bags when we went on our first cruise! I made a list of everything I packed and then when we came home I circled the items we really used. The top items were: power strip, assortment of ziplock bags, my Vera Bradley lanyard and cross body bag, bug spray and sunscreen. I did not use 75% of the clothes I brought. One funny thing - my husband forgot to pack his dress socks and we couldn't find a pair anywhere! On formal night he had to wear his go walk shoes without socks. If anyone noticed they were kind enough not to laugh and point. I used the ziploc bags a lot for snacks to take back to the room or for by the pool - usually some small pastries or fruit from the buffet. I did get prescription scopolamine patches to keep from getting seasick and asked for one extra in case it fell off, which it did after we went snorkeling. We have 2 cruises booked in the next year and I'm aiming to cut our bags to 4 on the next trip! ImageUploadedByForums1465259393.546943.jpg.a64703090c7d0094c9c7302244d04439.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465259351.715747.jpg.1d324fe798d4dfb07f426d62cb74ff47.jpg

This year insect repellent is at the top of my list. (BTW, Consumer Reports current issue has a report and ratings on effectiveness of repellents in general and for Zika, as well as a report and ratings on sunscreens.) My list usually includes sunscreen, an insulated closed cup, a sarong, a foldable tote bag, and a badge holder with neck strap.

I also have a battery operated, motion activated nightlight for the bathroom. Went on many cruises without one, but one time last year I got up in the middle of the night, went to sit & missed. Landed on the shower ridge - thought I had broken my tailbone. I survived, but now I use the nightlight. I don't like turning on the main light because I don't want to be jarred awake, nor do I want to wake up hubby, since the light switch is outside the bathroom, not inside.

Also, Purex makes all-in-one laundry sheets you can pack in a lunch size baggie. You don't have to worry about powder spilling or pods bursting and they weigh practically nothing and pack flat.They go from washer to dryer. I still bring a dryer sheet, though because I like the extra scent.

I like to pack a highlighter marker for the daily schedule so I'm sure to not miss anything I was planning on going to. I also like to take a laundry bag and hang up to toss our dirty laundry in as we go along.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I cannot stress enough to use the travel vacuum bags. I can usually pack everything but the formal or wrinkle prone clothing into 2 bags and then only use 1/2 a luggage piece. Ziploc sells the easiest to use one. Here is a link to buy them on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RCMUDSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1465440920&sr=8-1&keywords=ziploc+on+the+go+space+bags&pi=SY200_QL40

DUCT TAPE!!! :D

Okay, I know it's a cliche, but that's the one thing I really regret not bringing on our first cruise. I sleep with a CPAP and of course the plug was on the other side of the room. So I had to run the extension cord across the floor and take it up every morning (and hope my mother wouldn't trip going to the bathroom at night!) If I'd brought duct tape I could have taped the extension cord down safely and not moved it until the last day.

And on top of that, it turned out that our suitcases had been sitting so long that they were starting to dry rot. The wheel assembly ripped out of my carry-on and then the bottom corners started to open. We barely made it back home without a spill. (We'll get new suitcases for the next cruise, but I'm still bringing a whole roll of real duct tape!)

[Also I read a great tip: tape up the bottom and sides of the paper laundry bag in the cabin so you can stuff it full. That will enable us to pack less! And what's best for secure taping? DUCT TAPE!!!]

the best $20 you can spend will be on an inexpensive white noise machine. Get the sound spa from Bed Bath and Beyond. very small and lightweight but has a wide range of sound and volume.

You will be able to sleep no matter what time of day or where your cabin is located !

Wait I'm confused?why buy a white noise machine when you have the sound of the ocean in literally high def!

Wait I'm confused?why buy a white noise machine when you have the sound of the ocean in literally high def!

Depending on where you are in the ship you can have some other sounds. If you are under lido/dining rooms you will hear the sound of carts of silverware. You will also hear people walking down the hall and speaking really loudly.

It seems everything has been covered to what to take. For me, I typed up a packing list and check each item off that I pack. The last thing on my list is to cut water off and pull hot water circuit breaker. Don't want a surprise when I get home.

The only other thing to bring is:

A good ATTITUDE

Tolerance

and a BIG OLE SMILE. You are cruising.

Have a great trip.

I cannot stress enough to use the travel vacuum bags. I can usually pack everything but the formal or wrinkle prone clothing into 2 bags and then only use 1/2 a luggage piece. Ziploc sells the easiest to use one. Here is a link to buy them on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RCMUDSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1465440920&sr=8-1&keywords=ziploc+on+the+go+space+bags&pi=SY200_QL40

I pack those EMPTY and use them at the end of the cruise. That way any extra's that I purchase while I'm cruising will easily fit within the same luggage that I boarded with because now I can compact my clothes to make room for the GOOD STUFF! :D

Also, Purex makes all-in-one laundry sheets you can pack in a lunch size baggie. You don't have to worry about powder spilling or pods bursting and they weigh practically nothing and pack flat.They go from washer to dryer. I still bring a dryer sheet, though because I like the extra scent.

The Purex sheets are no longer being made, might be able to find them online. They had an issue with clogging up the drain pipe. We have lots of them and only bring them on long vacations. We've discovered that a half a sheet, put into a puny sweater bag, works well with the small machines onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app