Best Things to Buy Before Cruise

kimma11

Ear plugs are cheaper and work better, imo. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Or you can download iDream on your phone for free. Has white noise, rain, and lots of other sounds. Just keep your phone on charge while using it or it'll drain your battery.

Be careful of bringing everything from these lists. What works for us might not work for you and visa versa.

Over the years we've refined our packing. If we're not snorkeling everything fits into 22" bags. With snorkel gear it's a 24" bag.

One thing that can work for everyone is having duplicates for travel. Our travel toiletries are 90% packed at all times.

Edited by SadieN

A few clothes pins so that you can hang wet bathing suits on the dryer cord in the shower.

Any cold type meds that you are use to using. Yes, I paid over $8 for a pack of Hall's throat lozenges for a sore throat. Also paid a fortune for plain Tylenol in Nassau. That bottle now gets refilled when packing.

Water shoes.................some beaches are rocky/pebbly.

Waterproof pouch container for phone, ID's & such.

rain poncho in a small packable pouch for those days with liquid sunshine. ;)

sunhat or visor and good sunglasses

Extra $$$ :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Considering your activity level, instead of always thinking "less is more" which is valid for clothes as others have mentioned, be sure to pack enough underwear and socks if yours are cotton. For example, if you work out in the gym early, then shower and go ashore, and then come back on board to shower and change for dinner, that would be three pairs of underwear in one day. Cotton takes forever to dry if you hand-wash it in the Caribbean.

It's not a must-have, but we love to bring binoculars on a cruise.

If you took everything that was listed here, you would need to pack them in a semi instead of a suitcase. Go through all of the above postings and ask yourself, "Would I really use that?" OTC meds-definately. Other stuff, depends on you.

Someone mentioned not taking a lanyard for your S&S card. Others will mention that you should never wear a fanny pack. If you feel comfortable wearing your card on a lanyard or in a fanny pack, do it. A cruise is not a fashion statement based on what other people like. They still sell both so people are still buying them.

last month I wore my sandals for the first time of the season on my trip and got a blister. Luckily I was OSJ and could visit CVS to get a friction stick and liquid bandage. It will be on my list next time if I travel out of sandal/ flip flop season.

I also took an LED tea light to place in the bathroom and in the room if interior. That way you get enough light to see where you are going without getting blinded by turning on the lights.

Edited by kelib

Not a NOOB but could be a geek ;):D

Because I do wear my SS on my lanyard...I wear a lanyard at work to hold my teacher ID...I prefer it to the clip ID tags. I also 1/2 the time don't have pockets available. I could care less what others think..this gold geek is having a good time;)

Not a NOOB but could be a geek ;):D

Because I do wear my SS on my lanyard...I wear a lanyard at work to hold my teacher ID...I prefer it to the clip ID tags. I also 1/2 the time don't have pockets available. I could care less what others think..this gold geek is having a good time;)

Cruise Critic needs to get a "Like" button! :p I also am a teacher that uses a lanyard & I totally get it! Geeks forever! :D

Over time, we have refined what we bring many times. Now, our only " must brings" are beach bag, power strip, towel clips, Earl Grey tea bags, one Kindle charger, one iphone charger, and clothes. We can buy everything else in advance to already be in our cabin when we board.:) It's a little more expensive, but worth it to us. Also, we can pay for the entire cruise before we leave and have a zero bill at the end.

Cruise Critic needs to get a "Like" button! :p I also am a teacher that uses a lanyard & I totally get it! Geeks forever! :D

We have been on many cruises, not noobs but always use a lanyard, I have things that just dont have pockets lol, way easier to keep track of that card that way :D

Like other posters have said:

More $$$$

Less clothes

Comfortable shoes

Coffee mug.

And you will meet lots of great people. IMHO That is one of the biggest benefits to the cruise. Have fun

I second, third, fourth and fifth...a small first aid kit. I have gotten sick and spent $10 on throat lozenges and $18 for a small pack of Dayquil (I also waited and missed the open time of the shops so had to wait until the next day...which sucked!)

Also, don't forget (in no particular order) nail file, tweezers, dental floss, toothpaste, conditioner and deodorant!

And, lastly, if you like salty snacks, bring some small bags of nuts, chips or snack mix. This was the only thing I found to be a little lacking in the food arena!

I am a new cruiser. Tell me the stuff you are glad to have bought prior to the cruise. I have read someone post a must buy is waterproof cameras as they are so expensive on board. I also plan on buying the Cheers package as I know this will save us money. So list your tips on must have purchases prior to cruising. :D

I read through all the responses so far, some very good tips here. The one purchase not mentioned yet but to me is a very important one.....and something you hope you won't need but if you ever do it's priceless.....trip insurance.

I use a lanyard because my swimwear doesn't have pockets. I like to have my card with me in case I order a drink from the pool or hot tub. I don't use the pocket kind, just the clip - they will punch a hole in your card for you. Now, for going ashore, I will use my drypak, which is a waterproof pouch to carry ID, cash, ship card. My old phone fit in my drypak as well. Didn't take that into consideration when I upgraded to a larger phone. So now the phone just stays in the safe.

I see no reason to bring hand or shower soap unless you have ultra sensitive skin & can't use the ship's. They also provide shampoo, but having color treated hair, I bring my own. They do not provide conditioner, so keep that in mind.

As others have said, bring your OTC meds - they are pricey on the ship. I also bring ginger capsules to take morning & evening to prevent any motion sickness. Also, any feminine hygiene products. Nothing like being surprised by mother nature.

The lightweight drawstring backpacks are great for going ashore.

I do use a zippered hanging cosmetic bag - comes in very handy - I usually hang it on the wall mounted mirror in the bathroom. Saves space in the bathroom, although there are several shelves in there already.

We've actually bought a waterproof camera on the ship before. It was $10 - a 35mm film camera inside a plastic waterproof case. Unlike the ones we've bought at home, it is actually reloadable. Like the disposable ones, it had no zoom, so pics may not be awesome, but it's a way to chronicle your underwater activities.

Carnival ships have laundrettes, so if you were to underpack, you can always do laundry. I've found it necessary after horseback riding excursions. I love horses dearly, but they just don't smell so great.

Plastic cruise luggage tag to put room tag in. You can get a pack on Amazon. After my sister's bag was delayed because the tag fell off, we bought these. 5 cruises later and it's still in good shape. I've put my tag in it for disembarking and in a pinch for a regular luggage tag.

I am a new cruiser. Tell me the stuff you are glad to have bought prior to the cruise. I have read someone post a must buy is waterproof cameras as they are so expensive on board. I also plan on buying the Cheers package as I know this will save us money. So list your tips on must have purchases prior to cruising. :D

Everything you need because the ship charges alot more.